AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know dark, for a raped AK, thats kinda nice.

the vert grip looks really well done.

just throwing a couple of ideas out here, i think the laser looks a bit mahoosive, might look better if you find a smaller unit and clamp it to the underside of the barrel (almost MGS2 style)

also i think the eotech makes it look a tad unbalanced, i think a short section of rail bolted on the area in front of the rear sight with either a doctor or aimpoint T1 would look pretty sweet.

Aye, the EoTech is too big - if I could afford a Kobra I would, but alas, I cannot. Until then, I work with what I have.

The front grip is a custom job from an ELEMENT AKSU grip set, which came with a pistol grip that I didn't need - so I dremeled out a hole in the bottom of the lower grip, fed the pistol grip in from the top till it sat perfectly straight and epoxied it into place, painted it over and soldered two holes in for the rail to be bolted on - there's a spacer (an extra bolt) in between the rail and the grip proper as the ribs and bumps on the grip stop anything from bolting onto the rail otherwise.

Tis' a bit rough and ready, but I think it works - keeping as many AKSU-specific parts in the build helps keep the lines looking good.

Aye, the EoTech is too big - if I could afford a Kobra I would, but alas, I cannot. Until then, I work with what I have.

The front grip is a custom job from an ELEMENT AKSU grip set, which came with a pistol grip that I didn't need - so I dremeled out a hole in the bottom of the lower grip, fed the pistol grip in from the top till it sat perfectly straight and epoxied it into place, painted it over and soldered two holes in for the rail to be bolted on - there's a spacer (an extra bolt) in between the rail and the grip proper as the ribs and bumps on the grip stop anything from bolting onto the rail otherwise.

Tis' a bit rough and ready, but I think it works - keeping as many AKSU-specific parts in the build helps keep the lines looking good.

still think a small RDS on a small rail just in front of the rear sight would fit best with the overall look of the gun, but its your gun after all.

also, doesnt that VFG interfere a lot with the 7.62 mags? i would have thought 5.45 mags would be easier to use.

Darklite i thought that in the first picture you had butchered the top of the handguard and stuffed a laser unit in whilst retaining the front sight, looks great, then i saw the second pic and its only strapped onto the side, but still loving the foregrip.

A Kobra would be nice. If you ever decide on using a mini red dot or similar, you could use this method of optic mounting by StromWerkz also. Seem it would be very easy to replicate as DIY; grab a piece of spare rail, cut to fit and then screw to secure.

that's exactly what i suggested :rolleyes:

I used to think there was something wrong with "raped" AK's, but quite frankly, the Eotech looks fine. The silencer and everything else is a bit much, but it's completely reasonable to have an Eotech on an AK now, given that they show up in photos.

One thing to consider for the super realism oriented aspect is that AKS-74UN's were kind of rare, so I have seen Eotechs mounted onto a handguard rail system as opposed to a side rail.

But, if you look back at the 2008 inter-CIS FSB competition, one soldier has a red dot sight mounted to a side rail adapter.

Also, check out this cover from Bratishka:

IMG_5123.jpg

still think a small RDS on a small rail just in front of the rear sight would fit best with the overall look of the gun, but its your gun after all.

also, doesnt that VFG interfere a lot with the 7.62 mags? i would have thought 5.45 mags would be easier to use.

The FG does make changing out the 7.62 mags difficult - I might have to now get some 5.45 ones... My wallet is crying. :'(

I plan on fiddling with the optic set up a bit more, so stay tuned! :D

Image intensive post alert!

The family -

sam0329.jpg

Obligatory fps views -

sam0330.jpg

AKS-74UN

sam0333c.jpg

AK-105 with PK-A sight

sam0335.jpg

View through PK-A sight

sam0338.jpg

AKS-74

sam0342.jpg

SVD with POSP 4x (AK model with SVD rail added)

sam0343.jpg

POSP sight picture

Sorry for the lighting, if it weren't so miserable outside the pictures would look much better.