AK & Variants Picture Thread

Thx Puding :)

@spetsnazdave87: I got mine from floridiagunworks, there are copys made aswell but they had too big holes or something (dont remember exactly what it was) and does not look as good as the real one.

This might not be suitible here but if mods dont aprove ill remove the link but i managed to get my Grandmother to show off with the AKM haha :D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wadafxup, Man, your AK is nice, I am thinking about doing something very similar.

Maybe a AIMS PMC or A M4 stocked VFC AK :) .... None the less, your gun is legit.

Thanks!

I will have to get a pic up of my friend's VFC AIMS PMC.

Currently has a black stippled AFG on the lower handguard and a T1 replica on the ultimak.

He plans on also adding the VFC m4 stock adapter and magpul stock; for an AK its very ergonomic with these new parts.

Hey grim, I have a question for you. How the heck did you do that nice weathering on your metal parts? I have been trying to get a similar effect on my AK, but it comes out looking way more "artificial" then yours. I've been using fine sandpaper, but it ends up giving a "line" pattern to the wear, no matter what I try.... :(

I think its a matter of what paint is used on the gun, the Inokatsu is very well made and painted much like the real thing so i think its why it looks better when i sandpaper it.

I think its possible on the LCT aswell since its the same maker, and remember to use a very smooth sandpaper and use a real pic as ref where to sandpaper it, also when add on real parts the whole "effects" come out more.

I think its a matter of what paint is used on the gun, the Inokatsu is very well made and painted much like the real thing so i think its why it looks better when i sandpaper it.

ironically GRIM, inok/RMW/LCT are finished nothing like the real steel. they are all blued, while all real AKs from AKM onwards were parkerised and then painted.

however, it is very easy to get a convincing approximation of heavy wear with a blued finish as it's not actually paint, thus the wear is more subtle and you wont end up with bare patches like artificial jobs on painted AKs often end up with. technically, the likes of VFC who use a glossy paint should be the best base for a realistic job, but real wear is pretty damn hard to approximate on a painted gun.

@cyclone TAW: dont use sandpaper, use scotch brite pads (plastic pads for cleaning non stick pans) as they wont scratch as much. if your AK isnt steel you'll have a hard job getting it to look convincing full stop, however if yours is steel it will look much better once the metal has oxidised (essentially rusted) you dont want full on rust, but once the oxidisation has taken place the metal wont be as bright and will have the darker, duller colour seen on real guns. you could speed this up with some salt water, splash it with water, leave it until it rusts, then brush off the rust, you *should* have a nice oxidised finish.

another idea i toyed with was putting it in a sack with a load of rough sand, grit and small stones and shaking the hell out of it (maybe put it in a cement mixer or something) a bit of abuse like that should add some random damage to compliment the relatively tidy, uniform wear to the edges of the gun cased by rubbing.

So I am seriously considering buying a RS Type-56, but before I do I wanted to ask if any of you guys know whether or not it's possible to take off the bayonet lug and front sight. I was thinking of replacing the front sight with a real steel AK47 one so it becomes one pretty much. Paying $700 (not even including shipping) for a LCT one is something I would really like to avoid.

Any help or suggestions on this would be very appreciated.