AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm toying with the idea with putting a silencer on my AK-74M. I'm getting mixed answers on this whole PBS1 vs. PBS4 thing.

Probably due to the fact that neither is made for the AK-74M and neither has been documented in use with it (as far as I'm aware).

The PBS-5 (PBS-4 was the nomenclature VFC used for their replica and describes something else) was specifically made for the AKS-74U and served as both an expansion chamber and compensator. It also had a notch for use with the 30mm grenade sight that could be affixed.

The only time I've ever seen anything mounted to the barrel of a full length 5,45 AK in service with Russia was a flash suppressing device during Nord-Ost in use by the FSB. It kind of resembles a PBS-1, but without the wider base.

Military reconnaissance units are still using silenced 7,62 rounds in addition to supplementing their inventories with silenced 9x39 rounds from weapons like the VSS and AS-VAL. Police and special Federal units use similar weapons in addition to submachine guns and pistols chambered in different calibers that may be fitted with suppressors and flash suppressing devices.

The most frequent recent use of the AKS-74U I have seen in the hands of a real soldier has been in the OMSN. You can see pictures from the guns.ru user "karden" in addition to training videos and he never has the PBS-5 on his weapon. For silenced guns he most frequently uses the 9a91, VSK-94, AS-VAL, and VSS. It also seems he's taken some pictures of the AK-104 with suppressor (or flash suppressing device) attached. This one looks like a PBS-1, but has a unique mount by the front sight.

Of course the above information is only helpful in replicating the accurate use of suppressors in the current Russian federation. Since this is airsoft, you can operated according to your own standards and affix whatever you please to your own replica :P

I'm toying with the idea with putting a silencer on my AK-74M. I'm getting mixed answers on this whole PBS1 vs. PBS4 thing.

as neoptolemus said, neither is correct as such.

just a generic cylindrical silencer would be most accurate as neither the PBS1 or 5 belong on an AK74M.

but hell, this is airsoft, use whatever you like the look of.

Wow. Great information guys. Anyone have any suggestions?

You'll find that a lot of the ex-Warsaw Pact nations have come up with their own 5,45 silencers. There are a number of different Ukrainian silencers in use which are relatively plain in design but look pretty good mounted.

Here is a link to the gallery of photographer Vladimir Krashevsky who has taken some pictures showing such silencers:

http://krashevsky-sf.com/en/photo/

He's a real well respected photographer of special forces and has made many covers for the Russian special forces magazine "bratishka". There is also a section showing just weapons too, so browse around the whole site.

I hope you can find some nice inspiration there :)

Anybody in this thread ever use a Samson or Samson-style AK rail? Was planning on picking one up for my VFC AK-74. I'm cuirious to see what it look like on an airsoft gun.

I used it once and sold it, why? Its freking heavy to use, especially with a dotsight and a flashlight.

Looks real hot tho but if it wont work on the "field" its not worth it in my opinion.

My new loaner AEG, built out of bits from my spares box and an old, broken JG tactical AK:

P1010310.jpg

Internally, she's all done up, firing 370fps on the dot +-3fps, H nub, V hop rubber, Mosfet unit, she's ludicrously responsive in semi auto.

Also, an LCT AKMSU that I built for someone this morning:

P1010311.jpg

P1010312.jpg

P1010314.jpg

P1010313.jpg

Tasty bit of kit - I'm sorely tempted.

Wow that LCT AKMSU looks very nice. I have been tempted to buy one of these in the past but now I really want one! great pics.

Edit: I'm curious, does the folded stock get in the way while using the foregrip? It does look like it is set somewhat low although many underfolders seem to have some play in their stock.

Edited by Diezel

Wow that LCT AKMSU looks very nice. I have been tempted to buy one of these in the past but now I really want one! great pics.

Edit: I'm curious, does the folded stock get in the way while using the foregrip? It does look like it is set somewhat low although many underfolders seem to have some play in their stock.

In the pictures that's as far upwards as the stock will go, so it can get in the way a bit, especially if you're like me with my massive gorilla hands.

Anyone have any advice for a decent magnified optic set-up for an AK? I'm building a mag-k replica, but I want something magnified instead of the T-1 that is on the real steel. I'm thinking of using the side rail mount and putting a short-dot/SPR mount on it. I'm guessing nobody has ever done anything so blasphemous, but does anyone have pictures of something like this? Or really any scope/mount that doesn't look like *suitcase* on a tactical AK?