AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any advice for a decent magnified optic set-up for an AK? I'm building a mag-k replica, but I want something magnified instead of the T-1 that is on the real steel. I'm thinking of using the side rail mount and putting a short-dot/SPR mount on it. I'm guessing nobody has ever done anything so blasphemous, but does anyone have pictures of something like this? Or really any scope/mount that doesn't look like *suitcase* on a tactical AK? 

You could always try a pistol scope on the UltimAK rail.

You could always try a pistol scope on the UltimAK rail.

Just found a picture of a real steel configured like that, it actually looks pretty good! I'll probably end up going this route, thanks!

Ordered the buffer tube and ACS, now to get the adapter machined and welded to my receiver... After that only the UltimAK and AFG/RVG left until I officially decide on an optic. 

Just talked to my machinist (also happens to be my father  :D) and we hashed out a design for a buffer tube adapter that could attach directly to a receiver with a left folding stock without the need to weld the anything to the receiver or anything like that. All you would need to do is tap out the pin holding the stock in, put the adapter in, and put the pin back. The stock would be able to fold but not lock in place. We'll be making it within the next two weeks, and if it's easy (and cheap) enough to mill I might have a run made if there is any interest.   

UltimAK will be here next week as well, can't wait to finally get this project started. 

To CYMA AIMS owners, how easy is the blowback to disable? I saw in the VFC review that it's as simple as disconnecting a paper-clip like rod, but is it for the same for the CYMA, or is it not a 100% clone? Thanks in advance :)

Same deal as on the VFC, it's just a small rod that goes from the bolt to the piston, all you'd have to do to disable would be to remove the rod.

CYMA CM040B base

LCT UltimAK rail

PTS AFG

PTS XT panels

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

Internally shes mostly stock, some minor gearbox work, a pro-win chamber, and a systema bucking.

Buffer tube and ACS on the way, just need to decide on an optic and get some of the Beta project bulgarian 5.56 mags, AAC silencer, PTS RSA, and MS2.

Probably going to try to stipple the grip and hit it with some FDE alumahyde

Edited by DFM56

The T-1 is used because it actually gives proper cowitness with AK sights. I spose a Eotech would be acceptable too

Ive seen a Comp M4 on a AKS74U Ultimak before

I thought the Mag-K had the CTR + cheek riser?

I assume your buffer tube will be able to lock in place at the rear though? I am very interested in getting one depending on price.

I personally would get a more comfortable grip(i like the SAW type) since the MOE cannot be used as in the real version

Edited by Azulsky

I'll probably pick up a T-1 as well, but I would like to have something with magnification kicking around. The comp m4 is very popular on real steel tactical AKs, although the size turns me away from it. 

The Mag-K does indeed have a CTR + cheek rest, but I've always found the sloped sides of the LMT SOPMOD/ACS stock to be much more comfortable, so I went with that. The real steel uses a different rail cover/grip set-up as well, but again, I find the AFG to be more comfortable. 

The design I have worked out will lock in place like a normal '74 sidefolding stock, and can still be unlocked and swung to the side, although it will not be able to lock in the folded position due to the design of the latch and m4 stock. Price will hopefully be determined after I make the first one. If it can be done in two operations like I think it can it shouldn't be too bad to whip a batch up in the cnc mills at work, 4 parts at a time. I'll have to check into getting a run cast if machining them is too expensive. 

I'm going to see how the stock grip feels when I sand down the checkering on the sides and stipple it, if it still isn't comfortable I'll try the SAW grip.

how was the LCT rail fitment on the CYMA? Im doing something smilar and ive hered storys that they can be a pain to fit?

Once I figured out how to install it (no instructions in the box and I couldn't find anything on the internet) it really wasn't all that bad. The first time I tried to put it on I only used one barrel clamp and overtightened the lever that presses against the barrel to hold it steady, and I didn't notice that I had started to warp the receiver. Fixed that with a mallet, used both clamps and shes rock steady right now, and the overall quality is great. very impressed with it for the money. 

Azn- Thanks! the stock is here, I'm just waiting for a chance to machine the adapter. I have a few issues with the stock as it is now, which is why I wanted to change it in the first place. If it turns out I don't like it then I'm sure I won't have a problem getting rid of the ACS and keeping the original, but I don't think that will happen  :)

oddly thats actually quite nice, the fakelite mag looks out of place but thats easily remedied.

T1 for optics definitely, if you wanted something magnified as well you could always have a separate optic on a siderail mount.

with regards to the stock i'd stay away from M4 stocks, they'll just spoil it. the only one i can think of that could look cool is an ACE skeleton stock.

oddly thats actually quite nice, the fakelite mag looks out of place but thats easily remedied.

Thanks! the mags will definitely have to go. Going to pick up some of the beta project bulgarian 5.56 mags when i have the cash ($20ish each and I've been spoiled by $7 MAG mids

T1 for optics definitely, if you wanted something magnified as well you could always have a separate optic on a siderail mount.

Agreed, the T-1is the only thing that looks good on the ultimAK imo. I've heard that the BP02 hold zero rather well when removed, so I'll probably end up getting both and running whatever I need on the field.

with regards to the stock i'd stay away from M4 stocks, they'll just spoil it. the only one i can think of that could look cool is an ACE skeleton stock.

I love how the CTR looks on the mag-k, so I don't think all m4 stocks would look bad, just most of them. I'll have to see how I like the ACS on it next week.

Edited by DFM56

I'm about to buy a ak again (TM ak beta owner very long time ago) but i'm in a big problem first i love Ak47S or Akms but i'm not sure of quality from stock.

Anyway i wish to know what brand it's better externally and internally. LCT, VFC, G&G, RS or KA?

CYMA CM040B base

LCT UltimAK rail

PTS AFG

PTS XT panels

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn104/Darthfaceman/IMG_2283.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn104/Darthfaceman/IMG_2281.jpg

Internally shes mostly stock, some minor gearbox work, a pro-win chamber, and a systema bucking.

Buffer tube and ACS on the way, just need to decide on an optic and get some of the Beta project bulgarian 5.56 mags, AAC silencer, PTS RSA, and MS2.

Probably going to try to stipple the grip and hit it with some FDE alumahyde

it kinda looks.. wrong.. but i want one!!! how's the balance on that AK folding stock with the AFG infront? front heavy?

Edited by bangus

it kinda looks.. wrong.. but i want one!!! how's the balance on that AK folding stock with the AFG infront? front heavy?

Its slightly front heavy, mostly because of the rail system (even though its pretty light). The AFG and covers weigh next to nothing, so they don't really hurt. I haven't noticed it being too bad, but I'll let you know after I play saturday.  

I'm about to buy a ak again (TM ak beta owner very long time ago) but i'm in a big problem first i love Ak47S or Akms but i'm not sure of quality from stock.

Anyway i wish to know what brand it's better externally and internally. LCT, VFC, G&G, RS or KA?

LCT are as good as the internals you put in them (i think they come stock with cyma internals if you buy a full AEG, which are quite good these days)

VFC are excellent inside and out, as are RS but RS has a far more limited model selection.