AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brand spanking new, gotta work on the finish and the mag:

Very nice! I'm going the same direction with my CYMA RPK, just not keeping the original stock. I've been thinking of converting a plum RPK74 mag or two, or at the very least painting the stock highcap black as the fakelite looks terrible on it. I wish I could track down a complete set of plum furniture, though :(

Also, what brand is your RPK, and did you need to replace the handguard retainer to get the CAA handguard on it?

AK-74 forearm furniture, AMD grip, the rest is just wrapped and/or painted.

I had to dremel the furniture to fit and cut the cleaning rod to size.

It's a Cyma.

I like the original stock and the long *ss mags, it's the most characteristic parts of the RPK.

Maybe I'll swap the bipod with a RS PKM part.

Edited by Trasher

Russians did that to, dunno from what model though,

as it offers far better heat resistance then wood, and wood also has a tendency to warp and bend and break in the field, with prolonged exposure to moisture and the elements in general.

The models after the 74 I think were polymer only ?

That's not quite correct, even the best heat-resistant polymers well melt long before wood catches on fire (and unlike wood which you could put out, melted plastics will never be the same), wood has better heat resistance, and a good wood grip is actually better then a polymer one, this is also why the plastic grips need that steel heatshield inserted in them, and the wood grips do not.

But plastics are much cheaper, much easier to work with, and they have much better environmental resistance, wet, dry, cold, hot, doesen't matter much to plastics, but it can damage wood which will then need to be replaced, and wood will decay long before plastics do. That's the real reason for the switch, it's purely about cost and logistics.

As for when plastics got used on the AK, it's cirka 1985 or 1986, this is around the time the first AK-74's adopted the "Plum" furniture.

Though the East-Germans beat the Russians to the punch, they where using plastics back in the late 60's or so on their AKM variants.

Howd you put that folding stock on the Type 56? I have a 56-2 and I have been wanting to switch the stock on mine for a triangular russian stock or a Tantal stock like yours.

It's a lot of work, required a mill.. Luckily I have a friend that has one ;)

These stocks require the rear tang found on normal AKs, if you have a 56-2 then you know that you haven't got that tang.. So you'd have to install one of those before you can even start modifying the stock itself ;)

Yikes, that thing looks coooooooool. Personally I like it without a flash hider at all, but if you were going to add one, I think the carbine (105) style or AKM would be best.

Thanks!

Yeah, I kinda like it that way too, but it really looks like something's missing :) And I don't know how reliable a real gun would shoot like this.

My latest:

001-2.jpg

Started Life as a Cyma AK47s, then been customized by a friend of mine.

On it you see

Tactical handguards, I think they came of a JG AK tactical

ACM Microdot

ACM Short vertgrip

ACM Larue handstop and clips.

ACM Noveske.

It has a mosfet so it runs lika damn swiss watch!

(the toy train is a IED placed by my son. It's of the slip and trip kind)

Edited by Frykis

Nice work Snigel, local saying: "svenska bättre folk" seems to apply here also :D

But here´s one from a Finnish origin:

RKlampullailmansalamaa.jpg

Just waiting for G&G or someone else to release a fitting side mount rail so that I could finish it somewhat like this

That flashlight mount feels very sturdy although it only clamps the flashlight from its base. Though I might have to change it to this later on if it proves to be pain in the *albatross* battery change-wise

Haha, it's nice to see that you people know your place! tongue.gif

Nice looking RK 95, how's the quality?

I just got a VFC AKS74UN and it's ###### compared to the Real Sword, can't see why everyone likes 'em so much.. I guess it has something to do with the markings.... blink.gif

Haha, it's nice to see that you people know your place! tongue.gif

Nice looking RK 95, how's the quality?

I just got a VFC AKS74UN and it's ###### compared to the Real Sword, can't see why everyone likes 'em so much.. I guess it has something to do with the markings.... blink.gif

Well mostly it´s so that Swedish people tend to act like "bättre folk" :D

Jokes aside. G&G quality is really nice, can´t think anything to complain, yet. Stock is in a bit weird angle but can live with it. EBB is quite nice actually, obviously doesn´t compare to GBB or let alone real steel but it does mask the awful sound of a gearbox we all are familiar to.

When it comes to VFC, I really liked my AIMS. Though I haven´t got any experience on RS to have a comparison.

I always thought those RK95s look like Galils done right. Pity there is no scope mount for it yet. :(

Galils are based on RK62s. So it´s more like Galils look like RKs gone wrong :D