AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AIMSNewFinish.jpg

My newly acquired VFC AIMS. I sanded down and refinished the furniture with 2 coats of Miniwax Polyshades Bombay Mahogany as the first coat cause a bit of the grain to raise which I had to sand down. I really like how it's turned out and am looking forward to the cyma and dboys versions when they are released.

-Piano.

Austrain Guy, nice STALKER AK, I'm planning to eventually building one too, I've got the AKSU but need the kitted-out AK74S. I use the MAG waffle mags in OD, closest thing to the mags on the gun in the game.

Speaking of the MAG AK mags, they are really strong, they feel like a real firearm magazine, strong solid polymer with a sheetmetal baseplate. My waffle mags feel like I could drop them or step on them repeatedly and they'd just get scratched up, but never break.

I'm enjoying those AK74s and AIMS quite a bit too, making me want to spend money on a bunch of AKs with wood furniture, lol.

Edited by DanHS
Lookin' good Piano! :D

The color of the handguards looks spot on Romy red! I hope you don't mind if I steal your refinishing technique for when my CYMA AIMS arrives in the mail next week? :P

Feel free, I took some advice from KS/PM and my old man, who used to dabble in woodworking. I look forward to your results and hope to have similar with the dboys AIMS. And I might have to get a couple sets of MAG Bakelite magazines and give them a light coat if that will improve their color.

-Piano.

Thanks!

I've had really good success refinishing MAG Bakelite mags with Varathane Red Oak stain.

BakeliteMagMids2.jpg

BakeliteMagMids1.jpg

Just give them a light sanding, apply 2 coats of stain, let em' dry for 48 hours, then give them one more light sanding to remove some of the shinyness and go over a few spots here and there with black crayon to create the black patches you'd see on real bakelite mags. ^_^

1 svd and 2 RPG's :P

and a few rs scopes. I will sort out a picture of the russian accessories soon.

Jebus! 35 gorgeous AKs!?

I want your job! :D

o O (Where's the SVDs? I know with all those AKs you have to have at least one SVD hiding somewhere around there :P ) O o

Mightyjebus, you are my hero!

Heres my fugly AKthing.

a1.jpg

A2.jpg

a3.jpg

Using the RPK foregrip as its more comfortable than a regular, using the RPK stock as its alot more comfortable than the regular 74 stock, and no front sight because I couldnt be arsed to fit it and I prefer the way it looks without it.

Wish I hadnt sold my chrono, just rebuilt it and it fires real good, just wish I knew what FPS it was firing at :(

they feel like a real firearm magazine

while i'm a big fan of MAG mags i disagree here. they feel a LOT lighter and more hollow than my RS converted bakelite and plum mags.

that said they are generally my first choice of mags. they're sturdy, cheap and more reliable than the like of G&P midcaps.

Some of these AKs are incredible! I will be honest and say that a year or two ago I was a fully fledged member of the Armalites club, but..well, I have turned about. Lol. My next gun is definitely going to be an AK, and I intend to kit it up in wood and metal like some of the beauts in this thread.

MightyJebus in particular has inspired me, lol.

One quick q, though, are Cyma mags interchangeable with any others? As I've heard of some feeding issues.

you might have noticed a strange looking AK hiding in the back of one of the photos. well I finally finished it (ok it's about 95% but thats good enough for the moment)

This is my Iraqi Tabuk snipers rifle. I have forgot what exactly went into the build as it's been ongoing for a while but Rick from italy started me off with the partly built front end and KransiSerpski from Redalliance sorted out getting the hand guards from the states to the UK so a big thank you to both of them.

tabuk1-1.jpg

tabuk-2.jpg

real steel details can be viewed here

Edited by mightyjebus

Mightyjebus is insane, so many AKs, what an awesome collection. I think that is the first Tabuk build I've seen too.

About the MAG mags, I know they're not nearly as heavy and tough as a real mag, but they come close. They feel very realistic, as opposed to say a plastic Armalite mag that feels like a toy item, or an AK metal hicap that feels like a tin can with a plastic lid. The construction and sturdyness of the waffle mags feels like that of a real polymer mag.

sorry, but they really dont.

they dont feel as 'real' as the likes of a G&P, which is in turn feel no where near as good a real mag.

however as said before, unless you can afford to convert RS shells (might be worth looking into CA 70 rounders for the internals, G&P/VFC etc are junk) MAG are certainly the way to go. i'm not slagging them off at all, but saying they feel real is simply not true (as with any airsoft AK mag i've used).