AK & Variants Picture Thread

no such thing. the only way would be to buy a whole cyma AK74M (old TM construction), in which case you may as well stick with the cyma '74M, and in which case you'd do better to either buy a newer style cyma 74M or wait for the Dboys full steel (or get the full steel AKS74 and some AK74M furniture)

regarding the G&G Vs VFC AIMS. the VFC uses a more solid construction method and has more realistic as well as VFC's excellent quick takedown system. both are finished unrealistically, but the G&G's blued finish (IMO) is much nicer to look at than VFC's newer matte paint.

which ever one you pick, you shouldnt be disappointed with it :) both good guns

Edited by my_plague_666
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My humble AK47, mostly cyma, but externals have been changed quite alot. Sorry for bad phone pics.

post-60620-1243550724_thumb.jpg

post-60620-1243550742_thumb.jpg

In these two pairs of photos the wood looks quite different, but in reality it's probably closer to the first two pictures.

post-60620-1243550774_thumb.jpg

post-60620-1243550797_thumb.jpg

Why are there so few milled receivers in this thread? everyone seems to have AKM's and AK74's, (and AIM's etc.) I would have thought 47's would have been more popular than they are.

Why are there so few milled receivers in this thread? everyone seems to have AKM's and AK74's, (and AIM's etc.) I would have thought 47's would have been more popular than they are.

There are two good reasons for that:

1) Nobody makes a really good Milled AK, probably the most impressive of them is the G&G "RK-47", however, it is still based on the outdated Marui design, and it's not all that impressive a replica when you look at the Stamped AK's that are avalible.

2) Huge fans of the AK also know the history of the AK, and the history of the AK-47 is one of failure, whereas the history of the AKM is one of success ;)

1) Nobody makes a really good Milled AK, probably the most impressive of them is the G&G "RK-47", however, it is still based on the outdated Marui design, and it's not all that impressive a replica when you look at the Stamped AK's that are avalible.

What is wrong with the design?

2) Huge fans of the AK also know the history of the AK, and the history of the AK-47 is one of failure, whereas the history of the AKM is one of success ;)

And in which way did it fail?

(Both of these questions are supposed to come across as a legitimate inquisitive questions and not as though I don't believe you, it's just hard to convey expression in writing)

Edited by bobo bobit
Fixed.

If you could actually buy one, then we'd be in agreement, but as things stand, you'd have to be very lucky to find someone who owns one and wants to sell.

It's jut not on the market anymore, and thus, it's not an option.

What is wrong with the design?

Quite a few things, it's not build like an AK and it shows, there are visible screws that shoulden't be there, the stocks on them are much too big to fit a large battery (this was needed at the time TM designed it, but we have much better small cells thease days), and details are just moulded on there, unlike many of the stamped AK's you can get where they are actual sepperate parts that have been assembled much like on the real ones.

The guns based on the VFC and LCT designs are just plain more faithfull replica's of the AK, and they look all the better for it.

And in which way did it fail?

(Both of these questions are supposed to come across as a legitimate inquisitive questions and not as though I don't believe you, it's just hard to convey expression in writing)

The AK-47 had a lot of problems, it entered service in 1951 (1947 is the year the modified AK1 prototype was finished), and this was the first model which had a reciver made from both stamped and milled parts, thease quickly began to fail when subjected to the harsh reality of military service, they would warp or split where stamped met milled, they where coming apart at the seams, so as a quick stopgap solution the second model was made in a hurry, this one had an all milled reciver, this however made the AK-47 very heavy, expensive and time consuming to make, it was not a good solution, the second model quickly gave way to the third model (which the Marui is a copy of), which removed some redundant retainers and simplified a few other parts to make production go faster, but it was just not good enough, and on top of that the AK-47 still had too much recoil and too many reliabillity problems, so allready in 1958, after only 7 years of service, the Red army decided to replace the AK (the AK allmost ended its history right there).

New military trials where held, and Kalashnikov responded by reworking the design, creating the AKM (or AK-59 as it is also known), the AKM solved just about every problem the AK-47 had, it was much lighter, the new hammer design removed the reliabillity problems, it was easy and cheap to manufacture and strong, and the new in-line stock design coupled with the angled muzzlebreak much improved the recoil, it was such an improvement over the 47 it won the trials despite heavy competition from Korobov, and the rest is history.. the AKM entered service in 1961, and since the AKM was so easy to make and cheap, the AK started spreading all over the world like wildfire, the AKM is the AK that forever put the AK on the map.

Oh ok, never new about all of that, I was searching for a while and never really found much on it other than the fact that the stamped receiver was lighter, but I already knew about that. Thanks for the info, and hopefully someone will make a better replica of it. I still expected ak47's to be a little more popular, but there are probably more of them in the first version of the thread.

Grobut, that is a very good point, and a very reasonable answer, if we were discussing the merits of the AK47 over later models, AK74, AIMs etc.

But as to getting an airsoft replica, surely the only real question is to which weapon you like the LOOK of most?

I know you were asked the specific question, so please don't take this as a dig against you :) But I personally prefer the look of the AK47, the 'classic' the original, so that's what I wanted to go for.

Sure, the fact that there isn't a readily availible, perfect representation, but I still like it :)

Grobut, that is a very good point, and a very reasonable answer, if we were discussing the merits of the AK47 over later models, AK74, AIMs etc.

But as to getting an airsoft replica, surely the only real question is to which weapon you like the LOOK of most?

I know you were asked the specific question, so please don't take this as a dig against you :) But I personally prefer the look of the AK47, the 'classic' the original, so that's what I wanted to go for.

Sure, the fact that there isn't a readily availible, perfect representation, but I still like it :)

Certainly, that is one thing i like about the AEG afterall, they all function the same (within reason) so get the one you like ;)

But the history of the real-steel weapons also plays a part in what people want, lots of people go for some impression or loadout, and that requires an appropriate gun, and for this, you just can't beat the service leangth and history of the AKM, it's a classic AK that goes with anything from circa 1961 to present day, and the worlds most mass produced firearm i belive aswell, whereas the 47 sets some very clear loadout limitations (if you want to go for realism, anyway).

Personally, i also like the looks of the AKM better, so for me it's an easy choice, your milage may vary, however, i do hope that LCT will be bringing back the 47 reciver, if you look on WGC they have been selling all the front parts needed to build a 47 for some time now, so they may be planning to bring back the 47.. but that is speculation on my part, ofcourse.

If they do bring back the 47S though, i'll definately be tempted to get one and make myself an African AK :)

Good point :) Personally, I don't hold too much stake in making an authentic loadout. I would much rather make up a loadout of something that I think looks good, and holds all the things I need. If it also replicates an existing, or historic unit, then fine, good, but I wouldn't aim for one.

And I would like an LCT receiver, too :D

If you could actually buy one, then we'd be in agreement, but as things stand, you'd have to be very lucky to find someone who owns one and wants to sell.

It's jut not on the market anymore, and thus, it's not an option.

www.russianmaniaworkshop.com

www.russianmaniaworkshop.com

I see no 47's listed there, and haven't for a very long time, i know Ting used to sell them (RedWolf did too once upon a time), but unless i'm missing something here, i see no Ino 47's for sale there now.. he also nolonger appears to sell any parts, just kits.

Do tell i'f im missing something though.

PP-19 a-like:

hpim4710.jpg

Had an old mp5 well lying about, and a spare plastic receiver. 2 dyas work, i'm dead chuffed with the results. Best project so far, definately.

If your wondering why I havn't sorted the stock and front end it's because i'm selling it on and I though it'd be a bad idea to put money in I wouldn't make back. It's a shame I have to sell, but I need the cash for a very exciting project i'm working on.

-Matt

Edited by mikoyan99
PP-19 a-like:

*snip*

Had an old mp5 well lying about, and a spare plastic receiver. 2 dyas work, i'm dead chuffed with the results. Best project so far, definately.

If your wondering why I havn't sorted the stock and front end it's because i'm selling it on and I though it'd be a bad idea to put money in I wouldn't make back. It's a shame I have to sell, but I need the cash for a very exciting project i'm working on.

-Matt

HERETIC!!!!

I will consider it, although it's a very low priority project at the moment. I made it to see if I could - and i'm pleased with the result, it's something a little different. Also, if I chop the reciver, it won't be readily convertible back to an ak-105.

-Matt

Edited by mikoyan99