KSC Brügger & Thomet MP9 Review.

p1000887z.jpg

Ksc have just released the next gun in their TMP series; the MP9 which in the real world is made by Brügger & Thomet.

First impressions

Ksc make beautiful guns but they dont do beautiful packaging.

Personally I don't care as I don't intend to keep it in the box but perhaps others would like a bit more presentation.

The box; in and out:

p1000888j.jpg

p1000889r.jpg

What you get; The gun, one magazine, some bbs, loading tool, hop-up tool, and the usual manual and mini catalogue.

External

p1000886e.jpg

Build - the body and the stock are made of plastic. But this does not make the gun light - the internals and other bits make this quite a hefty little gun.

The body feels quite sturdy and able to take a few knocks. The stock however doesn't. The problem is in the joint, it doesn't feel strong.

It's strong enough for use, but not strong enough for abuse. (I rhymed.)

When the stock is folded however it's quite solidly in place, no wobbles at all.

It's also still quite comfortable to hold the front grip, the stock has a groove for your thumb and my fingers are still able to wrap around enough to grip.

Someone with teeny hands might have trouble though. It's easy to release the stock and put it in the extended position.

The gun comes with two rails, a top one and short side one.

The trades are there, with mp9 and the B&T logo on the left side, "swiss made" and a serial number on the right side (near back). The bolt is also marked.

The trades on the body are not deep and tbh don't look that good.

p1000894v.jpg

p1000893o.jpg

The sights are fully adjustable, which of course tha manual shows you how to do.

67366388.jpg

The charging handle is balls. I dont like it. Its wobbly and it feels like its made of cheap plastic.

Metal bits: the magazine, various buttons, the side rail, the flash hider and the bolt.

The metal bolt is great, it sounds awesome when firing it. Kind of like the difference between firing a plastic slide gbb pistol and a metal one.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internal

Firstly; It's not system 7, sorry.

Secondly, the original TMP had problems with cracking the reciever (esp when using propane). People's fix for it was to create a bumper for the bolt. Well, KSC realised this too and included a foam bumper already installed.

Here's the explosion shot;

p1000934t.jpg

And various shots of the gun with the reciever taken off.

p1000932e.jpg

p1000931x.jpg

The bumper

p1000906g.jpg

When the bolt is in the locked back position

p1000907l.jpg

When the bolt is at it's furthest point back.

p1000908b.jpg

Operation and Firing

Here's the nozzle of the magazine;

82439460.jpg

It's the same as the original tmp (and will fit it).

Its a slightly wider nozzle than normal magazines so my loader wont work with it; i have to use the KSC one. The magazines hold enough gas for about 3 mag loads of bbs.

Once the magazine is loaded it works as you'd expect it to: put the magazine in the gun, cock the gun, point it at your target and pull the trigger.

p1000935n.jpg

p1000936s.jpg

The fire selector can be set to either semi or full auto. The safely is in the trigger only (It has a similar system to what you find in glock pistols.).

I quite like this actually as it means that I wont ever run into the problem of leaving the safety on.

Shooting the gun is a blast. It has a really nice kick to it, feels really snappy and its really loud!

Range - basically the same as a gbb pistol (when they release the silencer it will likely have an extended barrel through it which should help). So yeah, not really a woodland gun, definitely suited to CQB.

Accuracy - on semi the accuracy is pretty decent. At 8m i was getting about a 2.5cm spread which is not bad considering i was firing from the shoulder standing up.

On full auto the gun really jumps around and not suprisingly accuracy suffered. Same distance/firing stance my groupings were about 5cm apart and about 3 or 4cm higher. So on full you'll need to compensate somewhat by aiming lower.

Me, aiming lower.

35923563.jpg

Summary/Conclusion

Pros:

It's awesome.

Solid, hefty gun.

Fun to shoot.

Metal bolt.

Snappy kick.

Fairly good accuracy.

Buffer for the bolt added.

Cons:

Charging handle feels cheap.

Stock doesn't feel that strong at the joint, wobbles a bit.

Trades not as good as they could be (if that matters to you).

Not system 7 (perhaps thats a con, I have yet to see anything wrong with how it is).

Range? (again, perhaps thats a con but it is none the less to be expeced, the barrel isnt that long. Also it may be boosted with the added silencer.)

Conclusion

Would I reccomend this gun? well, if you are looking for a gbb smg/fun gun to shoot then hell yes! Is this gun skirmishable? Yes, but get a few extra mags. They aren't too badly priced (a bit more than normal gbb magazines but then, they are larger. They hold 55bbs).

I do have a few niggles but they do not overshadow the good things about this gun.

Comparing it quickly to the TM AEP MP7 I'd have to say that though the mp7 might be more "skirmishable" in that it holds more ammo, is lighter, possibly has more range (depending on the gas/temp when using the mp9) the Mp7 doesnt come close to putting the grin on my face that the Mp9 does. It's like the difference between an electric pistol and gbb, sure the electric is more practical, but the gbb is sooooo much more fun and still able to hold its own.

Hope this review helped, if there are any Q's/other pic requests let me know.

Edited by WhutJP

How does this compare to other KSC full auto GBBs? I have 2 KSC M11s and like you said firing them puts a grin on the face, but when skirmishing with them, more often than not, they don't work for one reason or another. Would you rate this behind or ahead of the KSC M11s as far as reliablity goes?

Edited by Punkypink

Ive not used the mac11, and noone i play with has one either so im not sure what problems they encounter.

I do have a ksc g18c but ive not had any problems with it yet.

The only thing i can see going wrong is if it's too cold.

But, after ive skirmished with this gun a couple times I'll give an update to the review.

As for cool down; nope, I hadn't noticed any (23 degrees C today), but im sure if you tried to unload the whole mag in one go you'd see some.

Fps wise I'm using hfc134a (being japan and you cant get gg or propane even), hm, If i had to guess I'd say about 270? 280? perhaps a bit less perhaps a bit more, it's a wild guess. Ive not got a chrono.

I might make a vid, depends if i can be arsed :P

Edited by WhutJP

Do you have a TMP?

Can you do a side-by-side photo? It looks like the rear of the receiver is longer than the TMP, I get the feeling that there is more space behind the bolt...

It looks good though, I can't wait to get my hands on it, I am going to switch the muzzles over so I can use my existing silencer, I have a prototype steel one. I might even switch the blowback engine out for my V1 setup, I have a load of mags for that system.

Ive not used the mac11, and noone i play with has one either so im not sure what problems they encounter.

Usually somewhere along the lines of the gun going click and thats it, or the mag venting itself spectacularly into your cursing face. I'll wait for your skirmish report on this gun, hopefully it doesn't try to emulate the KSC M11s

Do you have a TMP?

Can you do a side-by-side photo? It looks like the rear of the receiver is longer than the TMP, I get the feeling that there is more space behind the bolt...

Looking forward to the side by side, will be interesting to see if the Uppers can be swaped with the TMP.

P. ;)

Do you have a TMP?

It looks good though, I can't wait to get my hands on it, I am going to switch the muzzles over so I can use my existing silencer, I have a prototype steel one. I might even switch the blowback engine out for my V1 setup, I have a load of mags for that system.

Unfortunately I dont have one of the original TMPs, (which is why i was so quick to get this one hah, i really wanted a tmp).

The magazines for this gun say mp9/tmp magazine, so im pretty sure your old mags will work fine with this gun.

"Is there a -14mm thread under the flashhider?"

-nope. the flashhider will accomodate a quick release silencer though (once ksc release it :))

And yes, the bolt locks back on empty.

Thanks for the review and vid :) IPSC style holster on a Safariland leg shroud.... what will they think of next :P

He I noticed, not to innovative. But still, it'd be a fun as hell oh *suitcase* gun. People see you primary go down, thinking you are gonna be toast with some wimpy little GBB pistol but out comes the MP9 and it is time to scare the *suitcase* out of some cocky bastards.