Do you hate the 9yr old with your Dream Gun

DCAP

Ive not played with many younger players as most the sites i play at are over 18 for insurance reasons. But what you will find is that when you have the got the mature younger players, they not afraid to just get in there and get the job done. Which i have to say is pretty admirable.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I reserve my hatred for animal abusers, kiddie fiddlers, racists, bigots and thieves.

It genuinely creeps me out when people talk about "hating" a gun etc.

I have visions of them wandering around muttering about it to themselves, having pictures of it on their walls with the gun coloured over with a Sharpy marker and shouting at guns they see at sites etc. :unsure:

Speaking as an old fart, I suspect I might have a slightly different POV.

Thing is, when I arrive at a game (where people don't know me already) I tend to have teenagers shutting up when I walk up to them or looking at me for advice when the game's one.

I'm not your dad. I'm not going to tell you to eat your vegetables. If you have an idea then say so. I'm not going to tell you to shut up cos children should be seen and not heard.

As for the actual topic, TBH, it can be a bit of a "rolleyes" moment when I see kids (or anybody else for that matter) dorking about but, in the end, they've paid the same money as you so they're just as entitled to have their fun.

If anybody (kids or otherwise) is being annoying I tend to just slope off and find a piece of the action that's more my speed.

There's no point in getting arsey. It just makes you look like a nutcase.

Regarding the last part, jealousy, I don't get that. I suspect being jealous of another players kit is probably another sign of immaturity in itself.

On a related note, if somebody is doing REALLY well I'll try and tag along with them for a while.

It's usually pretty easy to see if they have tactics that get them more kills or if they have a gun with better range and accuracy.

If they have "teh mad sk1||z" then you try to learn from them. If their gun's better than yours you go home and improve yours.

In neither case should jealousy be an issue.

I agree that the only real age limit should be due to insurance... Although, I guess in some of the closest CQB sites, then an age limit may also be appropriate.

It's hard to decide when a person is ready for airsoft, as, as many have said, it's not age, but maturity that needs to be taken into account and that's hard to measure.

If a young player plays well, go and tell him. Say "Good game mate!" If a young player acts like an absolute prat, go have a chat with him, or get the site owner to.

And the problem isn't just young players. As WhutJP said above, there are a lot of older players who, as they have all the "Gucci" gear and guns, reckon they can get away with being obnoxious dishonourable prats... It took me one round to take out a new player at one skirmish, and then about half a hi-cap to take out one older player who refused to take his hits, even though I could see the mark on his hand where i'd hit him a few times.

I think the point has been well extablished, that if a person is willing to adhere to the rules of the game then they will be a good player. And i think it is that willingness the play by the rules and sometimes to not to. In some cases i have attended games where people have not taken hits and the best way i have found of addressing the matter is not telling a marshal but instead going over to the player and seeing for myself where my shots are landing, and ususally is the case i missed or the person didnt feel the hit, in which case they then call hit and we all live happily ever after.

As to the point of how old you have to be there is a guy at my local that plays with his son, who started playing at 15, and has been said in another post he is always the one that volunteers to rush into fire or to sit in front of a defensive position scouting and holding up the opposing force.

Well guys..Im 15 and I personally own a Tanaka M700 AICS with the PCS bolt. Im running it at 550fps. I use it regularly in skirmishes. This has all been bought with my own money. Im now going for a Marushin M1 Garand to make it a M1D sniper rifle.

I think my point is taken.

ChildSoldierThailand.jpg

Child soldiers, Thailand.

If children can be given real firearms and fight in real wars, then what should stop them from buying replica firearms to use in regulated simulated combat?

My view is simple: if the said child knows how to use his equipment properly, then he's no different from an adult. If he's an incompetent, spoiled little *badgeress*, then he gets shot like every other worthless idiot. Age, size, or sex have no bearing on the field. You fire at me, I return fire. Simple as that. And if you happen to be incompetent with your new toy, then it just makes it easier for me to eliminate you.

If children can be given real firearms and fight in real wars, then what should stop them from buying replica firearms to use in regulated simulated combat?

Really? I mean, seriously? Because very young children involved in certain conflicts are brainwashed and forced to engage in real combat, there shouldn't be any problem with any age kid airsoft skirmishing? What the hell relevance does that have? The existance of real child soldiers is one of the most horrific problems in the world today; and should have absolutely no bearing what-so-ever on a game that is really nothing more than a grown up version of running around with sticks shouting 'bang' at each other.

The very suggestion is frankly sickening to be honest. Yes children should be allowed to airsoft provided they have a respectable level of maturity and physical robustness, but that is not in any way because there's some terribly unfortunate kids out there who are having to fight and die for real.

My view is simple: if the said child knows how to use his equipment properly, then he's no different from an adult. If he's an incompetent, spoiled little *badgeress*, then he gets shot like every other worthless idiot. Age, size, or sex have no bearing on the field. You fire at me, I return fire. Simple as that. And if you happen to be incompetent with your new toy, then it just makes it easier for me to eliminate you.

If its as simple then I would be happy.

From a game planner/organiser in a scenario game, or a Squad/section commander's point of view one loose cannon means you have an ineffective person. Their are also other things that cause a person to be ineffect, if their fitness isn't good enough, if they have an itchy trigger finger, if they didn't carry enough ammo, water or the right gear etc..etc..

One ineffective person means that others won't be able to rely on him, which means you immediately have a weaklink, and that may jeopardise the security/functionality/morale of the team. Once you have to baby the weaklink, team members go, awww f**k why bother, and go off and do their own thing. This is what generally happens, and then you can't do anything with those people.

Those who want to remain as a team cannot because there isn't enough people to create critical mass. This means games will always become backyard shootouts.

The good thing is that this happens on both sides of the coin so the game works out, and most of the itchy trigger finger types are having "fun". Bad thing is that it makes EVERY game planning and scenario fall to bits after a few hours, so the people not having fun is the section/platoon commanders and the organisers who hears all the complaints about how the players are tired, hungry and thirsty, and hot. One person complains, others will complain.

I just want to shout at them: "YOU GITS!!! CARRY SOME WATER, GET RID OF THE SMOCK, THE CIRAS AND THE M249/MG36/MP5K w/drum mag. GET OFF YOUR LARD BACKSIDE AND DO PT FOR ONCE!! YOU ARE CLUSTERF**KING UP THIS DAY FROM YOUR IMMATURITY AND INCOMPETANCE.

Spoilt kids complain just as much as incompetant/arrogant adults with flash toys. In fact they are essentially the same. Just that it seems like there are a lot of spoilt kids today, and incompetant and arrogant adults annoy you more.

Remember also in my country, there are no airsoft sites, just Non-profit clubs and players that run games for free, so no one is paying me for my frustrations :P

ChildSoldierThailand.jpg

Child soldiers, Thailand.

Good point !

The very suggestion is frankly sickening to be honest. Yes children should be allowed to airsoft provided they have a respectable level of maturity and physical robustness, but that is not in any way because there's some terribly unfortunate kids out there who are having to fight and die for real.

Ok i take it all back

I'm 15. My dad has served in the US Air Force for 27 years and I as well would do anything to get into a 24 milsim OP. Everything I have was either my Dad's at one opint or bought by my folks and paid for by me. I know the ins and outs of my equipment, and do the best I can with my local group of similarly minded friends in the middle of a Pennsylvania suburb. Tactics are paramount for me and I speak to real soldiers whenever I get the chance to learn more about the art of support gunning. I open up my gun when needed and I am quickly turning into my teams tech. The only thing more fun for me than opening up a gearbox is actualy skirmishing.

Any questions? :D

I've noticed there have been quite mentions of the teens who just go around shooting with no tactical-ness shouting random and obscene language and I just have one thing to say about that; those people are usually from paintball which explains everything. I go to a Mil-Sim site mostly and a CQB site but I like the Mil-Sim more. When I first got there a lot of players were skeptical about a 14 year old with a G&G and an RPK (which btw I bought with my own hard earned money) but I've become to be respected. Since I am 14 I have superior agility and enjoy doing scouting missions, it makes me feel Rambo-ish going behind enemy lines. With the original question, I would be jealous if a 9 year old had my dream gun but my RPK is a lot of peoples dream gun since it is a Guarder 2004 kit, but I wouldn't mind having a new player as long as they are respectful and follow the rules. I believe we should encourage new players to Airsoft because soon enough they will be the next generation. Prolix Airsoft!

The only thing more fun for me than opening up a gearbox is actualy skirmishing

Opening up a mechbox is fun? Imagine someone saying: "I like to take guns apart and put them back together because its fun!" Yeah....thats....erm.....*cough* (stepping away) :P

-------------------------------

Maturity isn't measured by dedication or obedience, or how well-mannered one is. Its measured by how one understands the part they play in the world around them, and things that happen around them and how it relates to the bigger picture. How one understands their direction in life, their own personality, and how it can affect the world and people around them. They understand their role, responsibilities, what one needs to do to take the next step in life, and on the battle field, plus one "respects" *rules* when their are appropriate. That is Maturity.

I'm also 14, a couple months shy of 15. I'm just under 5 feet tall and I'm about 94lbs, rather small for my age. Often, people at skirmishes tell me "You're the smallest kid I've ever seen play airsoft" or "Jeez, how old are you?" (though my size can be quite an advantage when taking cover behind logs that stand a foot off the ground :) )

I personally find it offensive when older players assume that because I'm small and young I don't have the maturity or integrity to play airsoft. I love airsoft, in all forms. I would love to do a milsim event, and yet I don't mind just a regular CTF type of game either, both present their own challenge. Honor is a part of airsoft, and calling your hits is a given. I've seen grown men not call their hits, as well as nearly break into fist fights about it, and so the idea that I am immature simply because of my age is insulting.

I've seen grown men not call their hits, as well as nearly break into fist fights about it,

LOL, yeah fun isn't it. Usually people are "civilised" enough to do it online AFTER a game, where they complain like some catty women, then keyboard commando it with a flaming match.

I have seen old people behave like children and I have seen children behave like mature adults. I treat everyone the same, and its prove to me you aren't whinning kids, but until then you are all kids :)

As for the fistfight, I would say at this one game I organised I was a DS and another DS changed the game rule affecting the outcome of an entire Platoon without my consultation, and yeah I felt like giving the guy a good bit of Chuck Norris.

I don't know if you can imagine my rage, and the most frustrating thing is, the guy never learns. He will make the same mistake again.

I get jealous with noobs with big guns, upgraded to Kingdom come. And they still want more power cos they can't shoot people from 200m away. Arghhh!!! Kids aren't so bad compared with those.

Opening up a mechbox is fun? Imagine someone saying: "I like to take guns apart and put them back together because its fun!" Yeah....thats....erm....

I love opening guns and perfecting the internals for people. What's wrong with that?

My team loves me for it!

As far as kiddies with upgraded guns - it depends wholly on the person behind the trigger. We don't allow children to play airsoft. People over 14 are given the chance to prove themselves, and if they act like retards they get the boot. It's pretty simple.

I have been pretty impressed by younger players, kids 10-12 years old that were honorable players that were willing to play as a team member and not just go off on their own expecting to blast away the opposing team. I've also seen kids who did not want to play as part of the team and just sat in the back of the field shooting at where they thought the opposing team was. I imagine that those kids did not have much fun and ruined the game for themselves. Sometimes I try and get them to come along with a group of other players and play with us as we move about the field to complete an objective, but they often won't come and prefer to stay put. I never understand that, but at least they're not causing trouble. I've seen some kids not call hits, or defy other teammates and make things harder for them, but that's generally not the case. If I go to the commercial woodland field here, I get a lot of younger kids asking me what my gun is, sometimes they're confused by response when I start naming Japanese companies, and just go "oh" lol. Most of them will follow you around and try to follow your example, teaching themselves how to play by watching the players who do well. Then they ask for advice and ask what they can do to help, which is nice because you're teaching them and they appreciate your knowledge, so they should become competent and honest players. The most trouble I've had with other players have been older guys who thought they were so '1337' that other people's hits didn't count. It is worst when they are friends with the refs since the refs will just ignore their cheating, and sometimes talk down to players who ask the refs to check it out. I don't bother paying to go there much because I can play for free with a bunch of people whom I can trust to call hits. It is definitely a responsibility/maturity thing, I don't care how old a player is as long as they are willing to be a team player and play honorably.

The only time I might disagree with younger kids playing is when it's a milsim game, since there are no 12 year olds in modern militaries, and I don't want to play a game simulating child soldiers because I think there is a bit of a moral taboo there. I feel bad cutting them out of the fun though, but I guess there's no real way around it. I don't get to play any true milsim games here anyway, so it's a moot point for me right now.

A final thought is that I've only had younger (under 15) kids come play with my group a couple times. Two kids who were like 11 and 13 I think came and played at a couple small games not far from their home. As far as I could tell they called their hits, and they played as team players, they goofed a bit here and there (youngest one ran up on a bunker shooting through the window well below MED), but otherwise no big complaints. However in bigger games where we play on a larger field in the woods, I wouldn't be so comfortable with them or other kids their age coming, as they, in my opinion, still need some supervision and shouldn't be so far from home without their parents around. Should something happen to them I feel like it would be my responsibility and not their own, I do not need the trouble of watching someone else's kid. They have never asked to come along to one of these games and I'd feel bad turning them down, but I'd have to say that they really need a parent to be there with them if they want to come, and I don't think many parents feel like sitting around in the woods watching their kid play airsoft. At the commercial place which has insurance and waivers signed it's fine, they are the ones responsible, and the rest of the mature players will try and make the kid's day of airsoft a fun one.

Really? I mean, seriously? Because very young children involved in certain conflicts are brainwashed and forced to engage in real combat, there shouldn't be any problem with any age kid airsoft skirmishing? What the hell relevance does that have? The existance of real child soldiers is one of the most horrific problems in the world today; and should have absolutely no bearing what-so-ever on a game that is really nothing more than a grown up version of running around with sticks shouting 'bang' at each other.

I said that children should be allowed to play airsoft under supervision because they clearly (and sadly) have the mental and physical capacity for real combat. I never said anything about the morality regarding the use of children soldiers. Please read my post carefully before you start giving me lectures about morals and ethics, thanks.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

Underage airsoft players tend to be inexperienced and undisciplined - it makes them easier targets. This is a double-edged sword. If they are on the other team, consider yourself lucky as they would likely hinder the their more seasoned squadmates. If they are on your team, you'll have to figure out some way of keeping them in line to ensure effectiveness. Judging from what I've observed, young players function best when they have an equal (or higher) number of veteran players giving them guidance and backing them up.

The biggest problems with beginners are poor trigger discipline, poor marksmanship, and poor ability to obey directions. They are far more prone to "get caught up in the excitement" or simply panic. Having willing, helpful veterans around counts for a lot. This was the way in the old Roman legions - the youngest, freshest legionaries would be at the forefront of the formation, while their older comrades had their backs.

This, of course, is all based on observations. I personally never had to deal with young players on a squad level - I prefer to work with a single partner, and that partner has always been a player of similar age and on par with me, ability and equipment wise.

I'm also 14, a couple months shy of 15. I'm just under 5 feet tall and I'm about 94lbs, rather small for my age.

14 just a bit shy of 3 months over, 5'8" and 164 lbs ;) . And Dan, I see your point about 12 year olds in mil-sim but most of the people are used to it now, also the only other field within 120 miles (about 200 km) has a higher age limit so there is nowhere else for them to go. Luckily for me in full uniform I'm often mistaken for one of the adults, in clothes most people say I look 15 or 16 though. Everyone is fine with 12 year olds and a lot of the mil-sim guys are veterans or service members. Just for clarification I do not support the use of children as a military unit.

Amazing how this thread has gone down the road of "milsim-snobbery" so quick.

Its a GAME people, a teen might not be the same age as an actual soldier, but if they're behaving appropriately then its just sad for you if you can't overlook that.

Lets face it, there is so much more that IS happily overlooked in this hobby. (recoil, range, accuracy etc.)

Archived