Paypal refund?

Having some problems here and was hoping someone would know :)

A little while ago agreed to buy an M249 off a Chris bown on another forum. The 249 never arrived and he stopped communicating, while in possession of £375 of my money.

I warned him Id be approaching small claims, and launched a paypal dispute against him.

On 4th of May he appeared to offer a refund.

However, on my paypal the refund is currently 'pending'.

Now, Im not sure as Ive never had to get a refund before, but how long is the refund supposed to take to clear? I cant get in contact with paypal as their FAQ, email and phone help systems seem completely incomprehensible.

I dont even know 100% for sure that hes even given me a refund! The dispute is currently 'being reviewed by paypal', and has been since the 4th...

Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

it took 9 days for mine to come through when i had to do it.

9 working days that is. it says on the site somewhere, but i got all impatient and rang them, and they told me the same.

dont call them either, its an international number, so probably cost about £457, not had the bill yet :rolleyes:

paypal's been having some problems with their system lately. Spetz, right now if it's a dispute, then unless Chris actually refunds you, it's entirely up to him to do it. Within 20 days of opening a dispute, if you want paypal to get your money back for you, then you have to escalate the dispute to a claim, and then paypal will get involved. A dispute is simply a means of paypal letting the buyer and seller resolve the problem themselves, with an acknowledgement that there has been a problem. Remember, you have 20 days from when u opened a dispute to escalate to a claim.

Remember, you have 20 days from when u opened a dispute to escalate to a claim.

But only ever escalate to a claim when you have read Paypal's rules thoroughly, and know you're going to win.

In certain cases, usually when you're not buying off eBay, maybe from the forums, or a shop online, if you open a claim, the automated claim system decides you've lost, then shuts down the dispute. So you're left out of pocket, and unable to open another dispute.

Ben.

But only ever escalate to a claim when you have read Paypal's rules thoroughly, and know you're going to win.

In certain cases, usually when you're not buying off eBay, maybe from the forums, or a shop online, if you open a claim, the automated claim system decides you've lost, then shuts down the dispute. So you're left out of pocket, and unable to open another dispute.

Ben.

paypal is so buyer-biased that tbh, they will almost 100% side with the buyer always. i wouldnt worry about it. When the buyer reports item not received the onus is on seller to prove they have sent it. It's independent of where you're buying from, be it ebay, private sales, or off a forum.

When the buyer reports item not received the onus is on seller to prove they have sent it.

Not just sent it but Paypal actually demands that the buyer proves that the item has been received by the buyer, i.e recorded delivery, just been had off this way recently, lost £50 worth of product

Ive also had the refund pending issue and its usually the case when the seller has cleared their paypal account and paypal are now having to try and get the money transferred from their bank account. Good luck with your refund m8

Not just sent it but Paypal actually demands that the buyer proves that the item has been received by the buyer, i.e recorded delivery, just been had off this way recently, lost £50 worth of product

Ive also had the refund pending issue and its usually the case when the seller has cleared their paypal account and paypal are now having to try and get the money transferred from their bank account. Good luck with your refund m8

you mean paypal demands the seller proves the item has been received by the buyer?

in any case, unless u know the person you're selling to well enuf it's probably prudent to always send recorded delivery.

paypal is so buyer-biased that tbh, they will almost 100% side with the buyer always. i wouldnt worry about it. When the buyer reports item not received the onus is on seller to prove they have sent it. It's independent of where you're buying from, be it ebay, private sales, or off a forum.

Not true, based on personal experience.

PayPal has decided against me on not one, but two seperate occasions. Once when buying from HK/China, and once with a private sale from a forum.

Because parts of the claim system are automated, certain combos of checkbox selections that you make when escalating to a claim lead to an automatic fail of your dispute.

You then have to ring PayPal Customer Support, and try and convince them to re-open the dispute, but by then, the seller knows you can't escalate to a claim.

Ben.

Not strictly true, all the seller needs to do usually is provide a tracking number that links to a signature and there is a good chance they'll win it, regardless of wether its gone to the right address or person or not.

depends how much folks value their paypal account versus the cash in dispute - if funded with a credit card or a visa debit card you can always file a chargeback - goods not received goods not fit for purpose etc.

Paypal wont like it - in the past go thru with three or four chargebacks rather than their resolution centre and your account was toast, not sure how many strikes it is these days.

To be honest if its a significant sum and they arent giving you any joy then "*fruitcage* em over a barrel and to hell with the paypal account" would be my response

Archived