DBoys/Kalash AKS-74 review

IMG_2740-1.jpg

Provided By: www.rsov.com (I bought it there, this item was NOT donated to me)

Author: Randal Tugwell

Specs:

Model: AKS-74

Manufacturer: DBoys/Kalash

Battery: 8.4v stick, or 9.6v stick battery.

Cost:

US: 175.00 Plus shipping (For the wood and potmetal version)

RSOV: $110.49 plus shipping (For wood and steel version)

Features:

Externals:

This stuff is great, stock folding button takes some effort to push, so you won't release the stock on accident. It locks into both the open and closed positions easily and doesn't jiggle when in use.

The fake bolt, this is more impressive than the TM style, it's a clone of the VFC system, and is alot closer to the real thing. Pulling the charging handle back and releasing it gives a satisfying metal on metal sound.

All the metal expect for the outer barrel is steel, it's not the strongest steel out there, but it's not the cheapest either. The outer barrel is made of aluminum, but with the finish on the replica, you can't really tell anyways.

Selector, my goodness, this is so much nicer than my old E1 AK, TM, or ICS. It is simply awesome and I'm glad they cloned the VFC design here as well.

The sights, being standard AK sights, are somewhat lacking, but I was able to adjust them to what I think should be my accurate maximum range. The rear sight seems to have picked up some rust on it's stay at the RSOV factory.

Mag compatibility, it should be able to take VFC, and MAG midcaps without modification, ICS mags require some dremel work to get them to lock in place.

The wood has a beautifully rich red color, most likely due to the stain they used.

The pistol grip is made of high quality polymers and is on par with CA and VFC grips.

The sad import issue, mine came with a HIDEOUS Orange tip the size of texas on it.

IMG_2717-1.jpg

Another problem, my top cover was slightly too short, this issue was fixed by simply placing some tape over the front part of the top cover, and locking it into place.

Mechbox:

It's sporting 7mm bearing bushings, and a metal spring guide, that's all I can tell without opening it. I intend to not open the mechbox until something goes wrong, I've got a bad habit of opening up a mechbox when I don't need to.

The day I got it it chrono'd at 404 FPS with the hop-up off. Chrono'd at 390 with the hop-up off the other day, this is after I've put some rounds thru it at my indoor range, so I expected as much.

Okay, after using this thing on the 9th with great success, I am rather pleased with it.

Pros-

The high FPS helped with range, it was nice to be able to hit people at longer ranges again.

The stock didn't fail at all yesterday, still just as sturdy as the first day I got it.

It's a tough gun, I bashed it around in the woods pretty well yesterday.

It is easy to use even thou it's a longer gun, I found it was perfect for the close in type fighting, and the long range stuff.

Cons-

It isn't the most accurate of replicas, I think this is due to the fact RSOV sprayed orange paint into the stock barrel, and the fact that it... Has a stock barrel.

It doesn't feed well with the ICS mag, it seems I need to dremel the Mag some more to get it to feed properly.

Did some more testing last night after doing some dremel work on the ICS mag.

Seems my ROF is just too fast for Hi-caps. They work fine with short bursts, but it looks like I'm in dire need of some midcaps. Damn you, 9.6v battery! ;)

Photo of me with the AK on Saturday

IMG_5981-1-1.jpg

I'll post an update in a month or two with more info on how the replica is doing.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Renagade

Actually I was using an (UGH!!) Intellect 9.6V stick, and it worked fine.

Don't use Intellects though. I've seen terrible things happening with their small cell packs. Use Elite or GP, and stick with at least 9.6V packs for the Kalash AKs.

tip, dont dremel the mags, dremel the mag catch. the mag catch is slightly too long to accept all brands of mags, file a bit off and it'll work.

Mine fit TM, CYMA, Dboys and Real Sword mags without any dremel work. But for some reason an old ICS mag I had simply had too much plastic to lock in.

I'm using a Firefox 9.6v battery, turns mine over with ease.

I think I might open the mechbox just to do my standard re-shim and re-lube, but at the same time I'm trying to go with that "if it's not broken, don't fix it" thing.

Edited by Renagade
Reptile: then it sounds like something may be stuck in your Kalash mechbox. It'd be a good idea to open it up and check it out, might be shimmed too tight or something.

4600 mAh turns it no probs :) - but thanks Utty - I hadn't considered tight shimming.

It needs to be opened up anyway - the spring needs to be replaced for something less hot.

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine, but I found the gearbox to perform poorly. The compression on it dropped rapidly within the first day's gaming too the 100fps mark with .2s, and the rate of fire was vastly inferior than the Cyma gearbox in my LC AMD-65. I bought mine from gunner and the rifle was chronoing at about the 310 mark before rapidly dropping in game.

Long story short, I had to carry out a field gearbox transplant. :D

I'm planning on replacing the piston and motor with parts I'll source in HK in July. Then, fingers crossed, it'll be good as gold. :)

Wow, is RSOV just doing ridiculous orange tips on all their guns now? I want to order from them, but not if I'm gonna need a half hour to spend with rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover that might wreck the finish underneath. My brother bought a SCAR from them a year or so ago and they just did a flash hider, but I see the people who bought HK416s wound up with like 4 inches of the gas block painted.

Nice review though. I'd love to see a full steel AKM.

I love mine, but I found the gearbox to perform poorly. The compression on it dropped rapidly within the first day's gaming too the 100fps mark with .2s, and the rate of fire was vastly inferior than the Cyma gearbox in my LC AMD-65. I bought mine from gunner and the rifle was chronoing at about the 310 mark before rapidly dropping in game.

Long story short, I had to carry out a field gearbox transplant. :D

I'm planning on replacing the piston and motor with parts I'll source in HK in July. Then, fingers crossed, it'll be good as gold. :)

if any gun is shooting like 100fps i think you should consider there is a problem :P nothing to do with the Brand :P just that piece you have have a problem :P if you have warranty send to fix :)...just read you bought it from gunner, i guess out of luck then, if locally get good warranties :P thats what they are for :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys

A word of warning!

Be careful of your folding stock release button, the one used to fold the stock from its extended position at the rear of the gun.

I got my Kalash AKS-74 in August this year, its a good gun but the stock release was always quite stiff.

On its 3rd outing the release latch broke, its only made of pot metal and therefore quite weak! See photos below

post-42259-1255536702_thumb.jpg

post-42259-1255536710_thumb.jpg

I dont know if you can get parts for the Kalash guns, the retailer i got it from is trying.

Take care of yours!!

Al

Edited by Rogue Trooper

I think you must have just been way to rough with it cuase I have the potmetal version kalash and have been using it for over a year and a half and and have yet to even wear anything down on the gun. Just dont be TO rough with the stock I geuss.

and answering to the accuracy report in the first post, Its not THE most accurate but with a cheap upgrade of systema hopup bucking and barrel my kalash is shooting as accurate as my real sword svd exept obviously my real sword shoots a little further with the same accuracy

Edited by Schultz98
I think you must have just been way to rough with it cuase I have the potmetal version kalash and have been using it for over a year and a half and and have yet to even wear anything down on the gun. Just dont be TO rough with the stock I geuss.

Belive me, I treat my guns with kid gloves! Some of my guns are over 5 years old and still in perfect condition!

There was no rough treatment at all, I think mine had an issue, it always was quite hard to depress the release button, I hoped this would ease with use.

When I went to fold the gun for transport home I had it held by the fore grip with my other hand on the end of the reciever, I pressed the release button, and saw the piece in my picture go flying off into my gun bag, there was no pressure on the stock at all!

Rough treatment.. I think not!

Hi guys

A word of warning!

Be careful of your folding stock release button, the one used to fold the stock from its extended position at the rear of the gun.

I got my Kalash AKS-74 in August this year, its a good gun but the stock release was always quite stiff.

On its 3rd outing the release latch broke, its only made of pot metal and therefore quite weak! See photos below

post-42259-1255536702_thumb.jpg

post-42259-1255536710_thumb.jpg

I dont know if you can get parts for the Kalash guns, the retailer i got it from is trying.

Take care of yours!!

Al

they have all the parts available under DBoys brand name, its up to the retailers to carry them. i have a tech sheet of all Kalash models and their weakpoints, got it from the factory last time, i could post that to here. PM me if it dont show up and in case i forget it, today i dont have time for it but soon i hope (its handwritten so need to write it to computer)