New Instructional Website Available

DCAP

Hi my name is Ben i just launched an airsoft site that features links to weapon disessembly and reassembly vids, i can really use some feedback, suggestions and comments, any help would be greatly appreciated. You can check out this site at airsoftdna.com

Thank again Ben B

Sigh...

for those to lazy to read, copy and paste.

website

Website looks decent. Music is a tad over the top. I'd be wary about linking to a whole bunch of videos on Youtube that might or might not be there in a few weeks, months or years. A good technical website should have info that isn't simply going to disappear when someone decides they don't want to continue hosting a video.

Not a fan of video instructions myself mostly because small parts tend to get blurred due to fps/resolution restrictions. I find properly lit static shots with a few arrows do the job much better. And I also disagree with the music choice. Anything fast paced like rock or metal would not help in people concentrating on absorbing the technical aspect of the instructions content. On weapons reviews maybe, but the last thing you'd want when tinkering with your gun is a faster heartbeat.

Not a fan of video instructions myself mostly because small parts tend to get blurred due to fps/resolution restrictions. I find properly lit static shots with a few arrows do the job much better. And I also disagree with the music choice. Anything fast paced like rock or metal would not help in people concentrating on absorbing the technical aspect of the instructions content. On weapons reviews maybe, but the last thing you'd want when tinkering with your gun is a faster heartbeat.

Sweet responce, i love that kinda feedback, i agree with your comments, im gonna ditch the music, also im making some of the videos my self and i think video with photo shots of the important parts would really help, love the idea man.

No problem. :]

The site looks pretty good so far, and soon enough with enough vids it'll become pretty popular I reckon. I'll bookmark it.

EDIT: here, I made you a better avatar since I think you've got something good going here. 2dj9api.png

I'm not sure if I saw it, but yeah, make a button for the sound to be on or off. Didn't bother me but still. I liked the flash-ness of it. But if you get around to it, do a video of propper shimming, that would help people out a lot. And I would possibly doing another layout that you can switch between, basically a non-flash version, or a toned down one. Possibly on the homepage you choose if you want the low bandwith non flashy or the high flashy deliciousness.

Very nice Dcap :), the only complaint was that the sounds are too, loud/intrusive/hey look at me style?

For example instead of a high pitched bleep you could have a low volume low pitch hum, like that from a lightsabre, not saying you should change the sound to that but something which is not too in apparent and noticeable whilst browsing the website.

Or you could get rid of the sounds altogether or have an off/on button like spartan said, but i love the flash and i don't mind sounds too much :P

Quil

AGH! MY EYES!!! That splash page is one Damn angry fruit salad!

Right...onto the site. The clicks and bleeps when going over icons was irritating. The colour contrast of red on black/red on grey irritate the eyes. As do the white flashes after looking at a black background.

Do you have Evike's permission to host their videos? If so, no problem there.

The 'Where entrails become ex-trails' motto I think is pretty stupid. This is airsoft, not boar-hunting. It sounds way too violent, and gives a bad impression of airsoft to the layman, suggesting that we like actually killing things.

And at the end of it all, it's just a link to Youtube videos?

Sorry for being harsh but there it is. If this is a school/college project then it shows plenty of programming/web design skills (ghastly colourscheme apart), otherwise I find it as pointless as a doughnut.

Well seeming as I'm a proffesional web develoepr I'll throw my 2 cents in here xD

First is the colours are defiantely not good, also the beeps could really go or have a clear sound option. Other than that some sorting to the lists of links and maybe a bit more formatting to them.

Other than that seems alright, tho more content would be good. I.e. a breif descriptor of each video perhaps something along the lines of the scroll box beign titles and the image box being the title, description and and link along with your own review of how good the video is, any parts that are missed etc.

@Guzzi all you're broswing at this very moment is a customized IP Board like the many thousands of others around, so its jsut a collection of links to youtube isn't anything new or bad.

No problem. :]

The site looks pretty good so far, and soon enough with enough vids it'll become pretty popular I reckon. I'll bookmark it.

EDIT: here, I made you a better avatar since I think you've got something good going here. 2dj9api.png

Holy Raviolli, you rock Wanton thanks so much man!!! :D Guys i love the comments ill definately take off the bleeps, and Oh yes Evike has given me there full permission to link their vids. They dig the site also. The site is hosted through a pre-made site builder so i cant tweek the flash portions, (wish i could) But i will deffinately change what i can.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

A flash-based website is a horrible, horrible idea. It doesn't scale, it's impossible to index, it doesn't work on all browsers, requires plugins, is horrible to add new content to, basically tells anyone with disabilities that need text-based stuff to f*** off, it uses loads of bandwidth...

Flash has a time and a place. And that's for games, and pretty much nothing else.

And you appear to have little to no original content, so your entire site is rendered moot by a simple google search.

And the non-flash bits of the site look like they were tacked on with no thought to how they looked, and as a consequence, look rubbish.

But if you get around to it, do a video of propper shimming, that would help people out a lot.

Super sweet idea Spartan, Im collecting as many vids as i can, so if you know of one let me know, if not ill make one, or have a budy make one, either way thats definately going on the list of to do's if any one else has any requests (things you would like to see on the site let me know)

ben@airsoftdna.com or airsoftdna@gmail.com

A flash-based website is a horrible, horrible idea. It doesn't scale, it's impossible to index, it doesn't work on all browsers, requires plugins, is horrible to add new content to, basically tells anyone with disabilities that need text-based stuff to f*** off, it uses loads of bandwidth...

Flash has a time and a place.

Cool MDY thanks for the possitve feedback ;)

Really the sight i wanted to do without flash costed a fortune, so at 8 bucks a month i got this.... not to bad i thought, any who... i do have to original vids on the sight and hope to do more as i get sponcered, (need stuff to dissect) I also plan on having feild strip compititions at big games , hope to be able to give away some guns to the winners. Maybe ill see you guys soon!

I think it'd be better to have AEGs like the MP5 in the "rifles"-section.

Pistols and SMG should be for gasdriven only, in my opinion.

You can add a category for AEPs and such as well, where you can put the MP7 and G18C and such.

Archived