Will GBB rifles start to take over?

Just my opinion, but I think the entire GBB effort in full size platforms is a result of the saturation of the AEG market. Manufacturers are up against a wall. They cannot compete on price and many players have already purchased multiple AEGs. With a world wide economy that is down at the moment there is no longer that many "must have" AEGs currently being made. The only place to grow the market so to speak is to go "gas" in an effort to get customers to buy new examples of platforms they already have in AEG format. To me this is a rational explanation of the industry's interest.

As for the customer I believe, that after the initial interest and novelty fades a bit, GBB guns will quickly hit a wall. GBBs are still rather finicky fellows and the general playing base already has enough technical issues with AEGs. And GBBs are even MORE problematic. All this said there is still a chance that GBBs could find a niche market and some enterprising marketer or manufacturer may be able to sponsor GBB only events. Doubtful, but I never thought GM would ever be thought of as Government Motors either. :unsure:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GBBs currently don't offer much more than AEGs. Blowback and proper dimensions- that's it.

Don't get me wrong. I love my AGM M4 GBB to death. Amazing quality for a low price. Its accurate, and it kicks. However, most people can't live with 50 round mags. Its also been pointed out that AEGs are already the dominant gun.

To give the GBBs more of a chance, manufacturers need to make a breakthrough- sorta like Marui's hop-up. Maybe add LRB barrels or an amazingly accurate set-up? Cheaper mags? Optional external rigs? For now, AEGs are here to stay. They're cheaper, have bigger mags, and are generally more trusted than GBBs.

AEGs are always going to be the main type of gun on the skirmish field.

Also, you forgot a massive plus in any gas gun - variable power, according to which gas you use - no need for expensive and troublesome gearbox upgrades.

Ben.

Variable power is only as good as consistent performance would allow, and magazine's gas capacity. The AGM seems to shoot a long time because it has nearly twice the gas capacity of the WA. WE has multiple chambers to aid in expansion but in the end I think the more efficient platform is the WA due to WE's heavy bolt and heavy spring.

TBH, most of the issues with GBBRs or any CO2 based airguns, are quality of the Rubber and O-rings they use, causing leaky mags and systems. Most of them are sourced by the manufacturer of the guns because its cheap. Because of this they dry up quick and deforms, while the ones I purchase from an O-ring manufacturer here never dry up. Good magazines have good O-rings and they seldom leak, even on gas as dry as propane or CO2. And with that requires good maintenance procedures.

The other thing with GBBRs is just the Hop system, but that is another kettle of fish, at I have to say its not that bad currently, its slowly getting there.

Like I said before, because we are in the game of wanting some form of realism, GBBRs are the future even though it might not be people's immediate liking, players will all eventually develop into that side of gaming.

So all good.

You're assuming everyone wants realism.

I think they do, but only when it is outweighed or equal to convenience.

That's why gas primaries have always been very much in the minority when compared to the ease of owning and using an AEG.

I don't deal in cheap gas guns, but I know how to look after my Tanakas and WAs, so I've never had a leaky seal. Ever.

Manufacturers do use cheap components, but usually it's the cheapest component possible that actually does the job, which is fine. Unfortunately, that's getting less and less true with certain ACM manufacturers.

That's probably due to the speed at which they strive to get their product on the market - doesn't really leave room for a long period of durability testing, does it? That's why you start getting Version 2, Version 3, Version 4, etc...

Ben.

LOL, I do assume everyone wants an aspect of realism, else they would have transparent or fluro guns or go into paintball.

But you are correct, it is then whether its counterbalanced by convenience. Convenience is dependent on the local field type, and game type, as well as the individual's idea of realism and whether they want to put up with that concept of realism.

I know most gamers won't carry a 100lb pack, 20lb webbing, and walk >10km to enjoy a day's worth of fun. Hell I know most airsofters complain about a 400m walk to respawn, and never carry enough water. But I know most gamers want a rifle that looks, feel and shoots like a real gun.

Once one person has a cool toy, friends/teammates will then want one, then there will be a request for games that allow the cool toy to be used, then more organised games will be planned...

From the stem of realism, the game transforms. And because we subconsciously want realism, it will pan out this way. Just the fact that it will not be the "realism" of what is truly what happens in the military underfire, it will be the realism dependent on everyone's idea of realism, which in airsoft world is derived from movies :P

What do you define as cheap gas guns? Tanaka's GBB pistols and propane is just a straight no-go, and Tanaka's to my opinion makes the cheapest feeling GBB pistols on the market. Skirmishability is also very low. Durability, well again low, my lovely Browning HP and SIG are both nonfunctioning. WA's have their own issues. I think the definition of what you perceive as a "Cheap gas gun" is restricting your ability to provide first hand evaluation on this matter.

My view is, there is no such thing as a "cheap gas gun", its the level of design and design considerations, materials used, and functionality that should define how much a gun is "worth", not its RRP and profit margin set by the manufacturer and retailers and the consumer. All guns are "cheap" until proven its worth.

And so far the AGM M4 GBB has already proven its worth more than the $200US I spent on it :)

I meant Tanaka snipers rifles, of which I currently have two. Both handle any kind of gas fine, and are a pleasure to own, but have taken me years of fettling and fine-tuning to get exactly right.

An AEG is an out-of-the-box performer, and it will always win for reliability and convienience.

I also have, among my GBB collection, two WA handguns, and although skirmished numerous times, have never felt the need to put 'propane' or 'green gas', or R22 of any form through them - They perform very nicely on 134a.

Most normal skirmish sites with regular walk-ons and rentals, you're forgetting, are made up by a mixture of different individuals. The population of Arnie's Airsoft does not represent fairly the proportions of different playing styles, then.

I know more than a few people who can appreciate a nice bit of kit when they see one, like a GBB M4, and will gladly have a play with it. But they won't buy one, and when it comes time for them to pick up a gun and walk out the safezone, it's going to be the tried-and-tested AEG primary with a GBB secondary. 'Gimmicks' like blowback and recoil have come and gone in the airsoft world before, and I'm sure they will again.

"My view is, there is no such thing as a "cheap gas gun", its the level of design and design considerations, materials used, and functionality that should define how much a gun is "worth", not its RRP and profit margin set by the manufacturer and retailers and the consumer. All guns are "cheap" until proven its worth."

I think you have to take into consideration the complexity of manufacturing some stuff as opposed to others. It is very easy for a manufacturer to make an AEG - there are already numerous different types of gearboxes that are proven designs, and work flawlessly for the most part. Even something as complicated as the mechbox of an AEG can be cloned with ease when you're surrounded by so many good examples. Just pick one you like, and off you go.

AEG owners are used to no compromise - the gun either works, or it's broken. With gas, a few more factors come into play, such as temperature outside, condition of the magazine's seals, type of gas used, the rate of fire the user is trying to coax out of it, etc.... In the end, what you get is a gun that works, but it works better some days than it does others, and it's better at some things, but worse at others. That's why I like them - they have personalities, almost.

BUT, this also means, and I'm sure you'll agree, even with a concept as simple (much less complicated than an AEG) as a gas gun, no one single manufacturer has made the perfect design, with the perfect balance between quality, and performance. And no airsofter can ever agree with another about the 'best' manufacturer, because we all have different wants and needs out of our guns.

So for me, I'd have to say that a 'cheap' gas gun is one clearly lacking in both the performance and quality departments. It also will have no original thought from the manufacturer, and will clone a system that is easy to copy/easy for them to produce - usually not one that works especially well.

I feel that a good quality gas gun has some original design to it's system - I like to think the manufacturer has at least had a stab at trying to create that perfect gas gun. It also has the right balance, for me personally, between performance, and quality. But it will always be just a balance, because of the nature of gas.

And that is why AEG's will still rule the skirmish fields.

Ben.

Archived