What's the best replacement hopup available for the AGM and where may I find one?

For AEG barrels: PGC hop-up

For AEG barrels and hop-up buckings: Prime CNC'ed aluminum(it's around $90)

Regular WA type barrel: Prime or RA-Tech

Can be found on Redwolf. However the middle option is harder to find. Roecar bought one, he should be able to show you.

-Luis

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how are the 5ku's in comparison?

Those are also good for the price. They are direct copies of the RA-Tech chamber. Earlier versions were said to come with misaligned holes for the hop-up arm, however newer versions have been said to work good and do not suffer from the misalignment.

There is also a copy of the PGC hop-up unit that takes AEG barrels sold at px-airsoft.com.

I have it and it is very nice, way better than the stock unit, which is terrible.

Nice sig by the way.

-Luis

Edited by Luis21

Thanks for the compliments

no feeding for "peeing BBs" issues between both I'll assume.

One other thing that may be in the back of my mind is the chroo with propane/green gas usually read 410 fps with .20 g. In NE USA the common standard is 400 with .25s however when I travel and go to a few places the chrono limit is 400 with .20s. Point is any way to temporarily mod the gun to under 400 without duster?

Thanks for the compliments

no feeding for "peeing BBs" issues between both I'll assume.

One other thing that may be in the back of my mind is the chroo with propane/green gas usually read 410 fps with .20 g. In NE USA the common standard is 400 with .25s however when I travel and go to a few places the chrono limit is 400 with .20s. Point is any way to temporarily mod the gun to under 400 without duster?

Yeah, the aftermarket hop-up chambers will correct any feeding or BB pissing issue.

One way to lower the FPS w/o switching over to duster is by shimming the back of the flute valve so that it allows less airflow towards the BB and more gas towards the back. In theory it should lower your FPS and increase the felt recoil.

-Luis

I agree with you Luis21, you're right that they are both different design mags with different dimensions for two seperate systems, and therefore, the general rule of thumb is that they are incompatiable.

But, take a look at this -

magcomparisonWAWE.jpg

Similar, eh? :huh:

This is really beginnng to arouse my interest.

Just done a mock up in PS, notice that the mags are VERY similar in terms of dimenions of the bb lips and rubber seal in relation to the hole for the mag catch on both mags, meaning that, in theory, everything lines up...

Maybe, just maybe, airsoft world are correct, and the WA design mag works in the WE?

the placement of the seals for the gas output are different...they are not compatible.

hrmm, do you think that if I put less gas in the mag at chrono I can get away with it chrono-ing low enough?

just use 134a or pc duster

i modified part #4 on my airsoft surgeon loading nozzle as well as the flute valve....with pc duster, i badly crack the bottom of a coke can indicating fps under 400.

the gun cycles just fine and with the duster being lower pressure, i do not sacrifice durability.

hrmm, do you think that if I put less gas in the mag at chrono I can get away with it chrono-ing low enough?

Maybe...

What if the chrono booth operator fills your mag though? :unsure:

You can try removing some of the O-rings from inside the loading nozzle. Try removing various ones until you find which one is best to take out.

-Luis

Maybe...

What if the chrono booth operator fills your mag though? :unsure:

You can try removing some of the O-rings from inside the loading nozzle. Try removing various ones until you find which one is best to take out.

-Luis

cheating the chrono...not a good idea...imagine everyone doing that...you may not engage at someone from 20 feet with a 500 fps gun, but others may...

loading nozzles have o-rings inside of it?

I only say it because it's a 10-15 fps velocity difference and with Aegs you can change out springs unlike in GBBs.

come winter time the fps will drop....

at 9am when people chrono, it might be at 60 degrees....as the day goes, it gets warmer...in california, often times going upwards past 90 degrees...

i'm just saying...

Has anyone done any machining to a RS bolt carrier to get it to fit? I'm interested in doing this depending on the level of market interest. RS carriers are only about $65 plus the machining time. So I'd guesstimate something priced in the low $100's.

Anyone have a garbage AGM carrier they'd sacrifice for me to take measurements from?

an RAT carrier is 120 130 bucks machined from steel and proper fit

you're going to have to source full auto carriers, weld em up, machine em to suit (if hardened then they're going to need annealed) and cut them down to the correct length (with yet more work on top if you start with semi auto civilian carriers)

tbh if you're going to go to that amount of effort you might as well start with some steel bar stock and take it from there, and hope the chinese dont suddenly bring out a cheap n cheerful steel carrier of their own at the 70 or 80 bucks price range at a perfect time to ruin your day..

Edited by snorkelman

Ive got a source of full auto carriers already. While its true that any welding and machining may affect the temper of a hardened part its not going to be an issue for airsoft use I believe. In its original use environment, no doubt, but in airsoft I think the forces seen are well below what even untempered steel can handle.

The effort and machining to modify the carriers is well below that of starting from scratch. If initial attempts prove that modifying won't prove successful Ill rest there. The time required to program the CNC machine and create the fixturing needed to perform some of the more complex cuts on these carriers is cost prohibitive for anyone but a full service machine shop or large volume manufacturer.

And while its true that the RA-Tech carriers are machined from "steel", the alloy must be significantly weaker than what is used real steel parts.

Edited by t_hum

Indeed though as you've said yourself the requirements for airsoft use are lower so its hardly a selling point of having used real steel boltcarrier versus the RAT one then is it? hardened steel is going to be harder on the tooling thats the reason I mentioned it

If we work on same max price as an RAT carrier then you're looking at 130 You've got a starting cost of 65 bucks which leaves you 65 to play with to cover welding and machining costs and turn at least enough of a profit to make it worth the risks of all the effort involved. If we work on basis that majority of those interested might also be going with a NPAS setup then you might have to peg the top line price for the carrier as low as 110 (which is what the RAT one effectively costs if its bought along with their 150 buck NPAS system)

if you think you can pull it off and are going in with your eyes open then by all means knock yourself out :)

If you want basic dimensions of an AGM carrier to do a quick rough n ready compare against full auto RS to see how much mods you need to factor in /wether its viable then just let me know and I'll post a pic or two of one measured up

Anyone tried fitting any rear adjusted hop units in an AGM like the prime one? What's with that barrel extension thingy?

I use a M203 in my setup and taking it down to adjust the hop would really be a pain. Also I'm looking for for a hop unit replacement as with the stock one bbs go everywhere.

Anyone tried fitting any rear adjusted hop units in an AGM like the prime one? What's with that barrel extension thingy?

I use a M203 in my setup and taking it down to adjust the hop would really be a pain. Also I'm looking for for a hop unit replacement as with the stock one bbs go everywhere.

Since you use an M203 don't get it, it will be very cumbersome to deal with it if you have to adjust your hopup a lot. However you can set it once and leave it and it will be fine. Also on the flipside you have to be very patient putting the Prime together since the tolerances are beyond insanely tight. One thing that definitely wont fit inside of it is the G&P hopup rubber. Try the RATech ones instead.

clean your barrel/hop unit...

the magazines emit liquid propellant and the residue end up in the chamber and barrel...

for this reason, i opted to purchase wa magazines

So how long will this gun last stock on green gas/propane? just curious

Anywhere from 500 rounds to 2500 rounds. It's because the quality tolerances vary so much from AGM to AGM that it's unpredictable.

Mine personally lasted about 2000 rounds.

-Luis