Firefly/Serenity loadouts

Come on, I know there's a few Browncoats floatin' around the 'Verse. Anyone got a Firefly or Serenity themed loadout hangin' in the back of their closet?

Here's what I'm thinking of:

Generic Independent

- Filson bush hat

- olive drab German Army jacket with the little flags removed, maybe torn and resown in places for that "worn look." Throw on a patch from patchgeeks and I think it'll look ace!

- my brown t-shirt with yellow eagle design

- brown Carhartt work pants

- A gas revolver and/or M1911 or USP

Not sure what I'd use for a long gun, nearly anything could work. I plan on making a good leather gun belt with an early ALICE pouch or two with a crossdraw or an old west style leather holster that hangs low on the hip for my sidearm(s). Still undecided on the boots. I'm not trying to replicate any specific character from the series or film, just throwing some ideas together. I'll try and get some pics up when I get everything sorted and put together, which will take a while until I can get some cash flowing in.

So, in the meantime lets see what you guys got.

EDIT: IMFDB is a good site to see what guns were used in the series and film.

Firefly

Serenity

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the guns, you can have anything you jolly well please. Its in the future so pretty much every airsoft gun that exists is applicable. To make it particularly firefly, your main gun and your backup should be from totally different eras. For example main arm of a G36 should go with a revolver, and a Thompson should go with an FN 5-7.

There are some very fancy modern and older guns in the series, and a few very odd futuristic weapons in the film (laser guns) so really guns wise, you can't go wrong, though a "cowboy" gun should make an apperance.

Clothes: psudo-military is good, but denim and leather is better. These guys dont dress for fassion so they wear durable strong clothes. Denim will probably allways be easy to get hold of, cheap and durable (excluding "fassion" jeans) and of corse camoflage of varing discriptions would fit the bill quite nicley, though the pattern should be very faded.

In the hat department you are spot on :D.

As a side not the aliance soldiers wear the body armour from Starship Troopers.

Kit/webbing: The only poeple to wear armour overtly are the aliance soldiers, if anyone else wears armour they generally wear it under their clothes. Though there would be nothing wrong with wearing one of those simple stab vests or a reporters blue balistic vest over the top.

Molle never made an appearance in the program, and is far too militaristic for what people wear so probably best kept out of a loadout.

Wash seemed to wear something very similar to a black viper vest over a yellow flight suit. So its not really as strict as it may seem at first.

I like the sound of what you are putting together, i'd love to see when you get it done.

I always went on the philosophy that if you lived in the Firefly 'verse and you had some money to spend it would always go on technology first (guns, radios, I even nearly built a fake HUD eye-piece once!) before it went on clothes and kit.

Look for ex-issue pouches/webbing and the like, the cheaper and more knackered the better, clothing that is tough and will stand up to punishment (as mentioned in the post above).

Just think what you might be able to scavenge around the place. Personalized or more uniquely custom guns work well as all weapons you'd own in that environment would be yours and yours alone (and therefore why would you not modify the bits that annoy you?) and obviously because its sci-fi random pointless shapes and shiny metals are always welcome. As an example: If the ThunderMaul was a little bit darker in colour (and a little bit more worn down) it wouldn't look out of place.

Or that's what I always thought. Of course if your alliance then silly technology and gear is all fine, but you'd use less personalized weapons.

My 2p

Wings :detective2:

Good tips, ED and angel wings, thanks.

Looking good, Kyrian. Hope to see it when you finish it. What's the strap on your leg? Holster?

If anyone is looking to get a duster for that frontier look, I found some here. To much for my blood, and it's to hot here to wear them anyways. :P

On my long gun, I'm leaning towards an ARES SA80, though it's more expensive than modding an Echo-1 G36K or AK-101 :/. If anyone can point me to some decent gas revolvers I'd really appreciate it.

By next weekend I should have finally got my kit back from a friend that was the base of my firefly themed kit along with a little something no firefly fan should be without that I ordered from ebay yesterday.

I'll be sure to post a pic when I get the kit sorted.

By next weekend I should have finally got my kit back from a friend that was the base of my firefly themed kit along with a little something no firefly fan should be without that I ordered from ebay yesterday.

I'll be sure to post a pic when I get the kit sorted.

I'm hoping it's either: THIS or THIS

:rolleyes:

THIS

:rolleyes:

"Six men came to kill me one time. And the best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun... This the best gun made by man. It has extreme sentimental value... I call it Vera."

:P

Can someone ID the optics on Vera? The scope looks like some kind of night vision scope.

EDIT: I'll be ordering a Classic Army MP5SD with full stock. Plan on modding it after Jayne's MP5 from the movie, with some differences such as optics and curved magazines, though if anyone knows where to find straight style MP5 mags please let me know.

Like this: http://www.imfdb.org/images/2/2e/Serenity-...%26Holster1.jpg

Didn't someone make a 4x magnifier in a PSV-14 shell for airsoft? I think it was a while back so it could be hard to find but it would give you the look.

As for my latest purchase sadly it isnt a cunning hat (too hot for those atm) or Vera, just a khaki blue sun tshirt :)

I've just done a temp mod job on my M500 shotty to give it a slight 'verse feeling too, I'll get a pic up later.'

Didn't someone make a 4x magnifier in a PSV-14 shell for airsoft? I think it was a while back so it could be hard to find but it would give you the look.

As for my latest purchase sadly it isnt a cunning hat (too hot for those atm) or Vera, just a khaki blue sun tshirt :)

I've just done a temp mod job on my M500 shotty to give it a slight 'verse feeling too, I'll get a pic up later.'

:(

Just checked out WGC. They had 'em but they're discontinued.

EDIT: Oh joy! AEX has 'em for $135! :bounce:

Thanks all.

Wearing all that canvas and such, it turned out to be the hottest game of the season, near 90summat degrees or summat. But it was SO worth it. I hope we do another one soon - we were thinking about doing a Du-Khang game, but plans for this season got scrapped.

• 1 year later...

Here's a link to the video that a friend did for a Battle of Serenity Valley Op we did a couple years ago - it was an airsoft event 1st and foremost, so not everyone was 100% on board uniform-wise, but I think we captured the feel of the thing...

Pretty good video, man!! I like how you actually got in there in the action, getting decent shots and coherently tied it all together with a bit of story. That looked like a lot of fun, plus I was impressed with the costumes and props and whatnot, very cool. I'll have to put my Jayne loadout back together and post it in here. Again, kudos!

Props where props are due - that video was done by Jeff Lower of JLV - he always does a great job.

I did the brief for the Browncoats that day and then got to lead them on the field... good times although I didn't get to see the Reavers until I saw the video since my guys wouldn't let me get that close to "town"...

• 2 months later...

Link to the photos of a Firefly themed game held in the UK by First & Only airsoft. It was more role playing than airsoft, but we still had the occasional shootout.

http://digitalmindseye.smugmug.com/Airsoft/Firefly-2011/18265353_9RP9RB#1409299878_zHnHcpH

Was a great day, lots of fun and really looking forward to the next one :)

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I am seriously jealous of anyone at either of these events. If it didn't cost so much to fly across the pond, I'd probably be at every one of these games. I've been a Joss Whedon fan for years, so that would be amazing. Please do post pics from these events, I'll get to live vicariously throught you guys, cause a game like that probably won't ever happen in the States.

Archived