Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

I have recently purchased the Tavor and have been testing it. I thought this information would be useful for palyers thinking of purchasing this gun.

The gun is well constructed mostly of nylon type composite and with some metal parts. My gun fired at 330 fps out of the box and had a good ROF using a 9.6v mini battery, which is a tight fit.

The mars sight had no up or down adjustment indicators on the adjustor screws, which made it harder to adjust as I had to find out which one did left and right and what did up and down. The screws moves freely with no click stops with vibration the screws will move and the sights will need re-adjustment. I found the sight to be of average quality and feel they need to make some improvements to it. The open sights flip up and are quite good I found them to be accurate.

Laser was ok again the sighting adjusters are un-labelled with no click stops button is in a nice place on the left hand side and is easy to press with your thumb.

The lever on the front opens the cover on the right which allows access to the hop up I found that if you did not make sure your battery cables are pushed to the left the slide will catch on them and will not allow the cover to open fully making the hop up hard to get at. I fiddled around and found the ideal place to wedge the cables and all was well, again some redesign may be needed.

The m4 magazines fit ok but do have some wobble firing the gun was good with a smooth sounding gearbox. I have not dismantled the gearbox as the gun is new and I will wait until a problem occurs, which I hope is a long way off.

The Tavor is a nice gun with some room for improvement given its high price I will be field testing it soon and that will be the true test to see if it can handle a hard day's skirmishing.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would like to know is:

- Accuracy (hop consistency, groupings, hooking etc)

- structural issues (barrel is made of crappy materials, plastic is flimsy under pressure)

- Balance

- Magazine catch release spring tension. Is it prone to accidentally knocking and dropping the magazine?

What I would like to know is:

- Accuracy (hop consistency, groupings, hooking etc)

- structural issues (barrel is made of crappy materials, plastic is flimsy under pressure)

- Balance

- Magazine catch release spring tension. Is it prone to accidentally knocking and dropping the magazine?

The hopup seems to be good mag clip is solid and needs good pressure to release so don't see any problems there. the gun is accurate only tried it at 50 feet with 2 inch grouping nice! , but will give a detailed site report soon as that will give the true test. the body is strong no movement and the barrel is good quality. Overal build is good and so it should be for the money as I say some re-design would make this an excelent gun. Mags do have some wobble, which may annoy some players, but I'm fussy so you may be fine.

tav%20010.jpg

Laser button on front grip

tav%20009.jpg

Mars sight on of and laser adjuster

thanks!

So in a nutshell, it is "just" an airsoftgun.

Can't you do some simple indoor shooting test?

Most people would really like to see some facts regarding the accuracy since this guns has a fairly long barrel.

From the videos seen the mag doesn't seem to drop right of once you disengage the magrelease. So if you accidently hit the lever it might snap right back into the notch on the magazine.

thanks!

So in a nutshell, it is "just" an airsoftgun.

Can't you do some simple indoor shooting test?

Most people would really like to see some facts regarding the accuracy since this guns has a fairly long barrel.

From the videos seen the mag doesn't seem to drop right of once you disengage the magrelease. So if you accidently hit the lever it might snap right back into the notch on the magazine.

I'm going to field test it and do full range test with a further more detailed review. I found playing around with a gun at home really is a poor test and using it in a full skirmish in the field reveals the true quality of a gun, so I'm going to make sure its up to the job.

have you had the chance to give it a full test yet and range some body told me they are ment to be better than an normal aeg is this true

any other problems with it as the price tag is quite high really

i have been waiting for this to come out for a while so very interested in a responce many thanks rob

According to the AirsoftGi video af the Ares Tavor; it's a modded V6 gearbox, like in the L85. I am eager to order one, but I'm getting doubts about the quality of the Ares MARS sights.....

The mars scope is ok its well made, but needs a bit of fiddling to get it accurate as I the screws are loose I'm very through, it seems other guys have its a new gun wow but they don't seem to take a close look at how it's going to work in field I do.

I have removed the mars sight, which is done by removing the sling loop in front of the sight and then the small Allen screw behind the scope slide the assembly at the rear of the scope out then remove 4 small screws, the mars scope slides back and up there are 2 small screws under the scope which remove it from the rail which is like the L85 rail needs an adaptor for weaver mounting.

I've tested it at range had some problems with a sticky hop up, cleaned the barrel and sprayed some silicon in there seemed the little bucking rubber may have jammed so the hop up was on even when turned fully off I managed to correct that 12 inch grouping on auto at 75 feet with the odd flyer so not bad. Good up to 120 feet still able to hit the target.

I'll restate the gun is well made gearbox seems to be good time will tell overall a nice gun.

i had one for all of about 45 mins. It turned up witht he postman and 30mins later it was back in the box and re-wrapped to go back to the postoffice.

Why?

The reach was too far, from buttplate to pistol grip was about 3inches too long.

The buttplate just feels too wide (even framed up against the famas)

The mars sight, what is that meant to be a 1MOA dot? anyways it was a little bit sunny outside with patches of cloud and when the sun came out the dot vanishes. the adjustmens were unmarked and non-click/lock

Laser, slightly temperamental and when zeroed is blocked by the front sight post.

Back Heavy (just heavy), for a polymer frame man this thing feels like a brick. i have a fully loaded all metal M4 which is A, lighter B,better balanced.

I like bullpups but there was no way i was keeping hold of this monster.

good points.

ROF with a 11.1 lipo it is frightening, 9.6 minni fair to great.

Accuracy, from the single mag i put through it at 25tm it achieved a 3inch grouping over 15 shots and 6inch full auto for the rest of the mag.

thats about it.

Also been looking at the ARES Tavor recently. Thanks for the clarification on the MARS sight being able to be removed... I wouldn't want it to get shot out in a skirmish. But the sight itself isn't very bright, eh? That's disappointing, if not a bit unsurprising, as the STAR (now ARES) dual optic G36 carry handle also wasn't too great. Hmm, much more consideration will have to be done before I decide to drop $500+ on one of these babies... :mellow:

Tried it today. Ergonomics are excellent (I am 6ft tall). Body is very good, no flexing or squeaking whatsoever, surafce is rough so it doesn't slip. MARS seems a letdown to me, tinted and low quality lens which distorts the picture. Shame really.

Now let's wait for the TSI.

Rifle arrived without instructions and without battery for MARS and I am having a rough time finding which one fits. Something between AA and AAA in diameter, but longer than both. Maybe 2 N types ? Any help is greatly appreciated ;)

EDIT: Found it. "Powered by 2 of 1.5 Volt N Type Battery", despite only one AA battery being pictured on the MARS itself.

Edited by Hristo

To be totally honest, ARES MARS replica is total garbage. When you tilt your head even slightly, the dot moves (!). Unlike even the cheapest red dot sights, where the dot stays on target when you move your head, this dot does not stay on target. It actually behaves like an iron sight. Useless. And even if that's not enough, the lens distorts the picture. Yes, like the cheapest of the cheap child's red dot sights. On top of all that, the lens is tinted light blue, so it gets even less useful in low light conditions. I am more than disapointed with this, to state it mildly. For a 500 USD rifle, this is inexcusable. I'd gladly remove it as rest of the rifle is quite good, but no, there is no easy way to take it off and put an Eotech or something. :(