Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

Check out this post from over at airsoftmechanics, they've got photos of the mechbox opened up.

http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=2097.0

Thank you very much.

Based on the description over at ASM, it sounds like the exact same Ares/Star piston as in their M4A1. I'm not sure why the author can't shave aftermarket piston down enough to work, because I managed to shave a Modify piston to fit fine. It's possible that the TAR-21 follows a slightly different design, but I'm somewhat skeptical. I had to shave the Modify piston down pretty aggressively. I need to make a ASM account.

The stock transparent piston is ok with one major caveat: the area behind the piston head is poorly molded. Instead of being all the same thickness as with basically all pistons, the Ares/Star piston have patches that get very thin.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the balance of the gun with battery and magazines loaded. And whats the barrel made of?

Its a juggle between this and a TSI Tavor.

I choose the TSI above all other

but can anyone tell me where i can get the pincantinny rail for the tavor??

No, I have not drilled anything on the rifle itself, I just made holes on the added rail, so screws can pass through the rail and can be screwed into the rifle body (no work required on the rifle at all). Simple, really.

Also, I added a MOSFET unit, there is plenty of space below the motor, while battery space can accept only small batteries (I use LiPo 11.1V/1300mAh, it fits fine). ROF is high with stock spring, but not too high to get something damaged. Tomorrow I'll finally fire the rifle, I'll start with MARS to see how it does in practice.

Edited by Hristo

Made it myself (IR3205, a capacitor, two resistors). Simple, no breaking or other advanced functions.

EDIT: One review mentions it already has MOSFET. LOL, now that's funny, two MOSFETs in one AEG ;). Seriously though, I believe the reviewer meant microswitch.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055595962

Edited by Hristo
Is the stock piston really that bad? Has anyone broke one yet? I mean you cant sit there and call it bad until they shop up defective and start breaking.

Lets hope that doesnt happen

The quality of ARES is no match of STAR's. I could hardly believe it is supposed to be coming out of the same factory as STAR.

The quality of ARES is no match of STAR's. I could hardly believe it is supposed to be coming out of the same factory as STAR.

as far as i was aware ares is the oem producer for star? e.g they are the same product for the stock we have received at the shop its the same product different sticker only difference, there is no difference in quality as they are same product, is anythign ares have started to fix a few of the problems the star product had

Edited by Puding

They are the same thing, this has been confirmed by numerous airsoft stores and such.

Finally got flash hider off, took alot of dremel work. Gun starting to shape up now, new battery gave the MARs a better brightness level, able to somewhat see it in direct sunlight now, laser pointer is a bit weak, wondering if possible to take apart and add laser from stronger one I have.

OK, I've managed to solve the parallax issue partially. The problem is that the LED is too close to the reflective lens (about 25mm), while it should be roughly 50-60mm. I've modified the place where LED sits and added a small mirror of 45 degrees and placed the LED further towards the front and down of the unit (there is not enough space in the back). Well, it seems much better now, alomost no parallax. But the mirror I used is of poor quality (I used a polished tin plate, not real glass mirror) and it disperses the light, so the whole picture is rather ugly. Ugly, but accurate. Now I only have to find a quality mirror and it will finally be useful. Adjustment dials still work, as well as laser switch. Will post the video once I finish this in a couple of days.

But in all honesty, it is quite a task, and ACOG red dot is a much simpler option.

Edited by Hristo

Don't hold your breath, really. So far I have managed to achieve something, but the dot is blurry, irregular and off center, as this job requires extreme precision and quality mirror. But at least the "dot" (or rather, an irregualar reflection) stays in place ;).

This is work in progress, the dot vanishes because mirror is too small, I will buy better mirror next week.

Edited by Hristo

Just got back from a weekend long skirm with this gun.

A few good and bad points.

The good :

Accurate, decent RoF with a 9.6v 1400 mah NiMh battery.

Easy to carry around all day, good weight.

Durable and very quiet when shooting.

Unique, not many people have one yet.

The bad:

The MARS wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, but the game was cold/rainy and dark for the most part, so I could see the dot/laser alot better than if it was sunny.

FPS was only 296 with a .25, somewhat lower (I'm going to add a M110 and try to pump it up to as close to 350 with a .25 (limit) as possible)

Overall, this gun was a joy to use. Its small and maneuverable, and once you get the hop up dialed in it can make accurate shots 150+ feet in pouring rain/goggle fogging conditions.

The only problem I had with it was the lack of a rear sling mount (made my own from a cord) and the MARs sight, as everyone talks about. Other than that, this is a very skirmishable gun right out of the box.

Also Hristo, if you make a guide on how to fix brightness and parallax, like a video or something. You will be my hero.

I'm a bit surprised about the criticism of the red laser. Red lasers are not meant for daylight outdoors- they are an indoors CQB sighting method. If you need to use a laser out in the open in daylight you need a green laser. So it's bit unfair to criticise the red laser in daylight. The red laser that comes with the MARS is perfectly adequate as a red laser. The red dot is something else though- poo comes to mind! However a red laser indoors/outdoors can be useful at night to momentarily point out an opfor position to team mates.

I've had my ARES Tavor for a few days now and I have to say its the most solid AEG i've ever seen and handled. I've had most makes of AEGs- the only one that compares is the STAR L85A2 with its stamped steel construction.

The accuracy is bordering on amazing for a stock AEG. I think its worth every penny of the £444 I paid for delivery to my door. It's also suited to fitting a MOSFET which is the only mod I'm going to make.

If I were a PMC this weapon would be my ideal choice (i.e. the real steel version of course!) as it's compact, has M4 barrel length, works well with a 3 point sling, takes M4 mags, is very robust (as proven for and by IDF SF and other SF units), very maneuverable (due to weight balance and shape), nimble and works particularly well with a chest rig.

Edited by bbstriker