Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

The Tavor doesn't deserve the trashing its taking.

Ok, the mars is a bit naff but i took mine off and used a cut down vsr mount and a king arms high flat top tri-mount with a basic red dot scope and its really accurate.

Its done two full days skirmish as stock (310fps) and have no trouble hitting mansize target @ fifty meters+.

Its also an ergonomic dream to use and quick to zero on a target.

Well happy with it!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely agree. Everything is at least above average, except the MARS. You won't see me trashing it, except where deserved. When I find time I'll look for quality mirror, hopefully this will fix MARS' last and biggest flaw (weak dot and no shutdown have already been solved).

The Tavor doesn't deserve the trashing its taking.

Ok, the mars is a bit naff but i took mine off and used a cut down vsr mount and a king arms high flat top tri-mount with a basic red dot scope and its really accurate.

Its done two full days skirmish as stock (310fps) and have no trouble hitting mansize target @ fifty meters+.

Its also an ergonomic dream to use and quick to zero on a target.

Well happy with it!

As the original poster, I do not believe people on here are trashing the Tavor as I pointed out the gun is solid and well made, but for a gun costing £450 no one should be having to fix the sight if you bought a car and the windscreen wipers did not work correctly would you be happy! Gun is great, but its sold with a sight so it should work simple.

Just got mine;

I have to agree with all the above: Gun is great, sights not so great. One little objection though, it does not take all M4 mags: 

Deep fire mag = ok

TM mag = ok

Kingarms mag=Does not lock

Magpull Pmag (original)= does not lock

Star PMAG (magpull replicas, but licensed) = woblle a lot.

Mine works with:

Classic Army Hi-cap= OK

AGM Hi-cap= OK

DBOYS Hi-cap= OK

TM all=OK

MAG brand- ABS in OD and in Grey= OK

MAG Brand ABS Black H&K trades= OK

ICS Hi-cap= OK

STAR Low caps= OK

Star L85= OK

G&P Tracer Mags=OK

I could not find an M4/M16 mag in my collection that does not work in the ARES Tavor. As for wobbling - well some of the above have a slight wobble as they do in other AEGs and real steel!

Edited by bbstriker

the VFC 416 hicap mag fits as well.

Also the ACM Pmag 20rnd Hicap feeds good.

Besides the MARS sight, my only complaint is the hop up unit.

The wheel of the unit is very loose. Every time I set the hop up right it goes all the way back making me shoot less than 20 meters. Apart from that the Gearbox chronoes 320fps out of the box, and the gearbox runs very smooth.

Also like the fact that you can change the fire selector for left hand use.

Edited by NeoVeNoM
That's interesting. I thought it looked like it could be changed. Could you please describe how you did it?

Thanks

Wel, just take an Allen key, and remove the allen screw, make sure you don't lose the spring and ball bearing. Also set it on save before removing the switch, after that just insert it again on the other sight, it's easy because you can only insert the switch on the knob inside one way.

You can also change the cocking lever. But unfortunately changing the ejection port won't do you much good.

You won't be able to access the hop up unit.

We need left hand use H-units. :D

So, anyone know how to take out the gearbox and hop up?

I removed all pins in the rear, but it won't move. :mellow:

You also have to remove the rear sling tube and undo the two hex screws holding the trigger bar/fire select lever (They are under the mars plate low in the body).

You might have to juggle around with the bolt catch button as well.

Ares have the exploded diagram on their website if it helps.

You also have to remove the rear sling tube and undo the two hex screws holding the trigger bar/fire select lever (They are under the mars plate low in the body).

You might have to juggle around with the bolt catch button as well.

Ares have the exploded diagram on their website if it helps.

THanks!

Going to look into it.

I have some spare hop up gears lying around zo who knows, might be able to fix it.

I checked one of the Ares Tavors out at a store the other day. Felt kinda toy-like. It had an interesting texture, but I guess I was expecting more. The MARS sight was horrible. And the laser ... I really hope the laser wasn't shipped from the factory like that. It was pointing hard to the upper right. IMHO, lasers and optics should at the very least always been shipped with both of them zero'ed to factory spec. The buyer can then adjust them to the true zero of the gun. I was also not a huge fan of the ergonomics, but that might be simply something to get used to.

managed to fit a rail to thetop of mine have a rail raiser and also a decent red dot fitted now very accurate and nice range and rate of fire with a 9.6v 1500mah battery was a little annoyed that the hope was so loose when dialed in correctly kept dropping off after i had finished firing but if i set it slighly too high it would stay put.

love the gun but the price tag is far too high for the quality of both the gun and the sights

also found the mag release was too soft and i was droping mags too eaily from the well

I used an ARES TAVOR this past Sunday (28 Jun.) all day at an OP. The gun performed flawlessly.

Yes the red dot sucks, but I expected it to. Most factory installed red dot sights suck, so it's no surprise this one does too. Laser...I don't care, I never use them anyway. I didn't even attempt to zero the laser or red dot. I just left them off, and centered my victims in the glass on the MARS.

I had concerns about accidentally dropping mags due to the location of the mag release. However that only happened once, the 1st time I transitioned to my weak side. After that no troubles with mags.

The gun I used chrono'ed an average of 370 with .20g BBs. (site limit was 400 w/.20). Good ROF with 8.4 and great with 9.6, although the 9.6 is a bit of a tight fit.

Ergonomics are nice. While the gun is heavy (for it's size), I found that most of the weight is unnoticed when the gun is shouldered or at low ready.

As a M16 series user, (both real and airsoft) for nearly 20 years, I was actually quite surprised how easily I got acclimated to reloading. The 1st 5 or so reloads were a bit odd, but after that I had no problems.

Is the gun perfect? No, but what gun is? There are certainly a few minor (IMHO) issues but overall I really like gun.

I was hoping I wouldn't like it, but I do so now I'm very seriously thinking about buying one of my own. (The one I used belongs to the company I work for.)

Been doing a few posts over on boards, thought i would post them over hear as well.

My tavor was delivered today, out of the box felt great mars as everyone has said is ****, i hope ares take note of what people are saying and either a) fix this on future models B) see the ares without the mars and add maybe a rail lowering the price,

Unfortunately my gearbox locked up after 2 mags of testing and the built in gearbox reset did not seem to do the job, spent the afternoon taking apart the ares gearbox 3 times trying to improve the reliability and stop the locking up, i was semi successful i was apply to set to working 95% ok, if i lock up know a quick flick to auto does the job but not really what i was looking for in a new aeg this does seem to be a common issue with gearbox horizontal motors and semi

Good

- Weight

- Feel

- Texture of body

- Balance

- Range

- Rof

- Hop up built into gearbox (excellent air seal)

- Gearbox internal excellent great compression from piston

Bad

- Having to open gearbox out of the box

- semi lock up at times

- MARs (it really is a pill of ###### not even worth anything as a paper weight)

- Battery

- Gearbox is a pain to work on

- Unique Parts

- Unable to remove motor without taking gearbox apart

- Hop up built in gearbox ( pain in the *albatross* when working on gearbox )

DSC_49360001.jpg

DSC_49450001.jpg

DSC_49390001.jpg

DSC_49480001.jpg

Edited by Puding