Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me like 90% percent of this thread has been more of a guide to fix the gun then a review of any kind, which tells me that this gun is just a gimmicky heap of rubbish like most STAR/ARES products.

From what I gather the best thing that is said about this gun is that it has "decent" performance but for the price I think it should have a lot more going for it. I would wait for the TSI or a Chinese clone to come out.

Seems to me like 90% percent of this thread has been more of a guide to fix the gun then a review of any kind, which tells me that this gun is just a gimmicky heap of rubbish like most STAR/ARES products.

First of all, ARES and Star are not the same company. Second, most of this thread has been nitpicking, including my own posts, because that's what airsofters do. Read closely and you'll notice all the users actually do like the gun, just not the MARS so much.

From what I gather the best thing that is said about this gun is that it has "decent" performance but for the price I think it should have a lot more going for it. I would wait for the TSI or a Chinese clone to come out.

For what you'd be paying with a TSI, I sure as heck hope so. I highly doubt a lowest-bidder Chinese clone will be better than the ARES.

You are new to airsoft, aren't you?

Do you know about the Star L85A2? If you did you would have edited the 'rubbish' startement bit.

Get a perspective- it's the MARS Red dot that's the problem. The gun itself is one of the most solid AEGs on the market- its made of nylon polymer (like the real thing) and with a gearbox, barrel and hop combo that gives amazing performance for s stock AEG. It's very well balanced and licensed by the real steel manufacturer- hardly a gimmick. It's a real replica and not a knock off best effort copy using rubbish poor quality materials.

The TSI TAR21 is vapourware- have you seen a review of it? Have you even seen a picture of it? Has anyone tried it? How could you decide that the TSI is better?

No AEG or real steel weapon is perfect and the ARES TAR21 is no exception. The TSI may be better or it could be heap of rubbish. I am concerned that TSI have not even released a picture!- highly unusual for an AEG that's on pre-order.

Edited by bbstriker

TSI said the Tavor was to be release mid July(nowish?)

I have a Ares Tavor right now and have a TSI Tavor on order. I'll be doing a side by side review when I get mine.

As others have said, the MARS sight is so far the largest problem with this gun. Not just the laser but the red dot it's self.

The TSI TAR21 is vapourware- have you seen a review of it? Have you even seen a picture of it? Has anyone tried it? How could you decide that the TSI is better?

Guy did post a picture of the final prototype, although not on the tsi website. Although you are correct. No one has reviewed it, tried it or is capable of comparing them.

EDIT: Yes, I totally screwed up the quote ;p

Edited by bknewcomb
Do you know about the Star L85A2? If you did you would have edited the 'rubbish' startement bit.

Get a perspective- it's the MARS Red dot that's the problem. The gun itself is one of the most solid AEGs on the market- its made of nylon polymer (like the real thing) and with a gearbox, barrel and hop combo that gives amazing performance for s stock AEG. It's very well balanced and licensed by the real steel manufacturer- hardly a gimmick. It's a real replica and not a knock off best effort copy using rubbish poor quality materials.

No AEG or real steel weapon is perfect and the ARES TAR21 is no exception. The TSI may be better or it could be heap of rubbish. I am concerned that TSI have not even released a picture!- highly unusual for an AEG that's on pre-order.

Yes I know about the Star L85A2 and it to had its issues as well. The point I am trying to make is that for the price Star/Ares charges for their guns they should not have these kind of problems. For example I own a Star FNC that was picked up on clearance for around $200 U.S. and If I had paid what star originally wanted for it (around 600) I would have been livid. These products are simply not worth the price when compared to other manufacturers who offer a better performing more reliable gun's for a fraction of the price.

As far as the now "amazing" performance of the Ares Tavor lets wait and see what people say a few months down the road after the I have a shiny cool looking new replica honeymoon is over.

I never said the TSI would be better but considering the problems the Ares one has out of the box not to mention what horrors could pop up with a few hard months of skirmishing I would wait it out in hopes that the people at TSI do it right.

Edited by 1337grenadier

Let's see, I had a STAR G36 for 2 years, bought it second hand, the internals were stock. Kept it stock besides de inner barrel and a slightly stronger spring. Never had any issues with it. The new owner is also still very satisfied. he has the replica for about a year now.

I guess now you are going to say: "that was a lucky shot, all the others are rubbish".

SO far the TAR has shot about 2000bbs.

I just don't understand why people like to rant about things with their limited knowledge. :unsure:

Exactly! The MARS sucks, but the gun's great! Ok, we've paid 500 bugs for it, but hey, I am happy with it since, in my opinion, I'm very pleased with the rest of the gun! And since it's me, myself and I who paid the 500USD, the only person who should or souldn't be satisfied is noone less than myself! So people ranting about TSI is better (this still needs to be seen) or a chinese clone would be better; I have one answer to them: get what YOU think is best, it's your choice/money/time/whatever. This thread is about ppl who give their opinion about the ARES tavor, and who actually OWN one.

It is also a place for those without one, to question those who do in order to better determine for themselves which one they want to purchase. Thank you Hristo for your honest review and input into the ARES Tavor. And I would most definitely expect more probing questions into the quality of this gun for the others who wish do decide this, TSI, or wait for a clone.

Noone is saying the gun sucks, what they are saying is if you market it with a sight, sell it with a functioning sight, not a placeholder and not even provide the rail for which another sight may sit.

On the other hand TSI is not selling it with a sight, just a rail, and the sight will be sold separately. So comparing the two would have to be done without the sight. Regardless, this is a place for people to learn about a gun they do not own, not for people to discuss the gun they do own.

You're right. But I am reffering to the fact that people do, in this thread and other "neighbouring" threads, bash the gun. Which is fine by me, except they do not own an ares tavor, or even been in the same room as one, and still they criticize the gun itself, not just the sight issue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Ares crusader, far from it, in fact if anyones entitled to complain about the MARS sight, it's us, the customers who paid 500 bugs. What I meant in my reply is that people who do not have that gun or used it in a prolonged time span, should not bash the gun like that. They should pickup on the feedback they get here and decide what to do for themselves, to buy or not to buy one...

As for the TSI tavor, they are not selling it yet, technically, since selling involves delivering, which is yet to come.

I've been reading this thread for a while. It's excellent and has helped inform my choice on the Ares/TSI quandary.

I handled an Ares Tavor a few weeks ago and if the TSI equals the external quality of the Ares, I'll be very pleased indeed. Personally I'm taking the risk on a TSI, but that doesn't mean to say the Ares version hasn't impressed me. It has and I commend all the owners here who have posted their honest views.

I received my Ares Tavor last week,& took it out to a skirmish last weekend.I replaced the crappy plastic flashider & replaced the battery connector ,with a Deans. I have to say ,this AEG preformed quite impressively.It has great balance & range .The short front-end makes crawling through dense over growth,not nearly as great a chore.

My hop-up was a little unstable ,too,but just needed a little tightning of the adjustment wheel.She chronoed ,consistantly at 375,with .20's.I have a wall of AEGs,& this one is my current favorite.

It comes with a metal standard black flash hider.

DO NOT use a hole punch on your sling mount to remove the MARS sight.

Unscrew the front sling mount by holding one side with your hand or a wrench and unscrew it.

Then unscrew the allen screw closest to the iron sight to remove that part.

Then unscrew the 4 philips heads screws to remove the mars sight and that top section of the tavor.

Last, unscrew the two allen screws on the bottom to remove the mars sight.

The top is flat and perfectly fine with out it.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

After removing the waste of space mars sight I was surprised by the weight of it.

The darn mars sight weighs almost a pound!

The red dot is useless outdoors, the laser while neat it is very hard/imposable to have it point in the correct direction.

While skirmishing I did have issues setting the hopup, it is super sensitive. Even after putting 160 rounds though it it still would not work well.

I tried to replace the spring during a lunch break but it would not come out. It almost seemed like it was screwed into the piston or something silly like a TM stock piston/spring.

After removing the waste of space mars sight I was surprised by the weight of it.

The darn mars sight weighs almost a pound!

The red dot is useless outdoors, the laser while neat it is very hard/imposable to have it point in the correct direction.

I tried to replace the spring during a lunch break but it would not come out. It almost seemed like it was screwed into the piston or something silly like a TM stock piston/spring.

I've just come back from a long weekend of training and combat mission. The MARS sight is the worst piece of rubbish I've had the misfortune to acquire. To say it's a total waste of space is an understatement. It's a liability. You can't track or shoot at anything with confidence. You can't zero it is properly. In short it's not fit for any purpose to do with shooting anything. I'm contacting my supplier about it because it is not fit for purpose. You cannot see the (so called) red dot under sunshine conditions etc etc tec.

I'm replacing it with an EOTECH 557 - the one with side button controls like the MARS so that if you need the iron sights, they won't get in the the buttons. Also a short Eotech is better that the 552 long version on the Tavor.

The gun itself is pretty awesome though but to realise its full potential you need to yank that rubbish sight off as soon as you take the gun out of the box. There are mods/ workarounds that some people are confident about doing to get the sight to work better- maybe they'd be interested in buying the rubbish stock version to fix it as it does look good in any case.

Edited by bbstriker
Welcome to the club ;). And good luck receiving any answer from ARES.

My money went to the retailer. My relationshio is with the retailer and not with ARES but ARES needs to pay attention here. They should also get an account on Arnies and communicate on this issue just like TSI and WE communicate with its customers on Arnies.

I want a working/functional MARS replacement or partial refund so that I can fund a new MARS replica sourced elsewhere or buy a replica EOTECH.

Arrnies is one of the most (if not the most) important forums in the Airsoft community. Sales of the ARES Tavor will suffer as a result of the rubbish prop mounted on the ARES rifle and with many people voicing their concern. I know of at least two fellow Airsofters who's hard earned cash is lined up for the TSI rifle simply because of the rubbish waste of money MARS sight on the ARES Tavor.

Edited by bbstriker
Well considering the mars was 'included' its not really paid for is it? It sucks as a sight, but its not the end of the world... the Iron sighs are really good!

Umm. Well you can say that for every other part of the rifle and the logical conclusion is that you paid for nothing. Of course the MARS sight has been paid for. It may account for £10, £20 or some other amount. The correct amount I'd think is reasonable is the replacement cost (to the customer) of an equivalent working replica sight such as another MARS replica or an Eotech replica.

Edited by bbstriker
Well considering the mars was 'included' its not really paid for is it? It sucks as a sight, but its not the end of the world... the Iron sighs are really good!

Sure you pay for it. "Included" doesn't mean free, the cost of making the accursed thing and a profit margin for it is still factored into the price of the Tavor. I'd expect the Tavor to retail between $70-100USD less without the MARS.