Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you actually look at any of the CTARs in use in the Israeli Defense Forces, (I am Israeli btw), they mostly do not use a MARS sight. And most of them have a rail so that any mount can be placed. In the army, having a sight built in permanently is ignorant to say the least.

Thank you for bringing some much needed clarification to the thread, Sayeret.

Most of the pictures I have seen of a squad or larger size dismounted infantry has one or more CTAR's with TA-31 ACOGs mounted. I suspect this may be their new standard squad level marksman's rifle.

Just got mine in the post today. I'll do a fuller report at a later date, but to start with.....

Great build quality, even the MARS sight. No wobbles or rattles, everything feels solid. The body is made of a nicely grippy polymer material that feels good in the hands. I also can't get over how chunky this gun is, especially at the back end. Ergonomically, everything falls naturally the hand is is easy to use or is in easy reach. The bolt catch was a nice surprise too.

Initial let downs...

The MARS sight, but we know about that.

No manual. You get no information about to operate or look after the gun. The box recommends you go to the website to download it, and what a clunky website it is. It didn't like Google Chrome or Firefox, and everytime I cllicked on something it opened a new window - not tab, window. After finding the page for the manuals, and waiting a few minutes for the download, Adobe reader tells me the file is damaged and cannot be repaired. Fail.

Can't wait to skirmish this bad-boy.

Also, can anyone show some pictures of how they've fitted a sling at the back of the gun. It looks like I'm gonna have to rig up some kind of paracord loop at the rear.

Edited by Rogue845

My order from ehobby arrived; all for the Tavor: a G&P CREE led 170 lumen flashlight. A prometheus soft hopup rubber, and an H-hop hopup buckling. Hopup isues are solved, it's now easy to set up, and thx to the H-hop buckling I have more range now!

Edited by Varry

What hop issues are these? Mine performs extrodinerily well... at 300fps i was getting 60m range with fairly precice accuracy... the long stroke design of the box apparently.

Maybe I lucked out...

As for rear sling loop, the done method is a paracord loop... as Mr Puding showed... I did the same before fitting my IDF sling. Its pretty much what the sling requires on any weapon, ar15 or tavor.

What hop issues are these? Mine performs extrodinerily well... at 300fps i was getting 60m range with fairly precice accuracy... the long stroke design of the box apparently.

Maybe I lucked out...

As for rear sling loop, the done method is a paracord loop... as Mr Puding showed... I did the same before fitting my IDF sling. Its pretty much what the sling requires on any weapon, ar15 or tavor.

See previous posts; some of us seemed to find the hopup quite hard to get "just right" it was always too less or too much. But thx to the small and cheap parts i added, mine is ideal, just like my Deep fire M4. and i gained even more range.

I got another problem:

After two LC all that happend was the motor spinning, nothing happened in the gearbox. Usualy this is corrected tightening the small allen screw to adjust the motor.

I tightet it in all the way: All I got was the grating sound of gears not interlocking correctly. I untighned a little and now the motor just spinn again. No connection with gears.

Somebody had this problem?

Is there a fix?

I got another problem:

After two LC all that happend was the motor spinning, nothing happened in the gearbox. Usualy this is corrected tightening the small allen screw to adjust the motor.

I tightet it in all the way: All I got was the grating sound of gears not interlocking correctly. I untighned a little and now the motor just spinn again. No connection with gears.

Somebody had this problem?

Is there a fix?

Probably the cogwheel on the motoraxle which came loose and shifts along the shaft.

Probably the cogwheel on the motoraxle which came loose and shifts along the shaft.

I opened the gearbox and what u said is correct.

Diassembling was easy. Just undo the scerws that holds it apart, after releasing the spring.

Note, to seperate the two parts you will have to use a solder iron on the motor attacments, because the wireing is wery tight.

Assembel however was more difficult. Gears alignment, microswitc etc.

But it is only the third time I do a Gearbox. I think a "pro" will have no problems at all :)

And I am not happy having to do this on a new gun at that prize.

But when you buy overseas.... HK doesent do guaranties/ warranties.

Well, after testing a few magasinez the same ting happened. So I have to get å new motor.

Anybody knows type/brand of Tar motor?

Edited by Lokke

NOOOOO, get this loctite bolt locking stuff, works like a charm, use it to "glue" your cogwheel, but be assured it can be loosened again::

this is the stuff:

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/loctitetech.asp

You'll want the blue one, cause it can be loosened again if needed, the red is very, near impossible to get loose again!

Edited by Varry

Finally managed to download the manual for the gun, and, well at least it's got an exploded diagram of the gun.

Also found out that the thread on the barrel is non-standard - probably clockwise. I just tried to put the flash hider from my SCAR on there (I thought it would look good with that on and then with the SCAR style silencer), and it was a no go.

OK. after using the Tavor extensively over a Weekend Milsim Combat Mission and another days FIBUA training I have to admit that in addition to the MARS site being poo, the mag catch is pure pain and embarressment. The Mag catch is so flimsy that that slightest brush with your hand or your webbing/ assault vest will drop the mag- this makes you look like a prize lemon.

Anyway, the very evening I got back home from the training I was determined to fix the mag catch or I'd sell the Tavor. I fixed it by using an AEG spring- I cut off about 2cm and turned it into an oval shape so it could fit in between the mag catch and the receiver. You need to remove the mag catch first to fit it. It works great. Now you need to appy strong pressure to release the mag- just like the real steel. The mag won't drop even if the mag catch is bouncing off the assault vest. In fact I could not get the mag to drop accidentally unless I deliberately pressed the mag release on the mag well. Here's a pic:

2vxiufq.jpg

Edited by bbstriker

Here's my solution to the VERY poo MARS sight. I fitted an Eotech 557 (the one with the side controls) without a rail riser. I found the rail riser made the iron sight unusable. In fact the Iron sight now works much better with the Eotech- the sight centre is just about dead centre of the Eotech optic and much clearer- perfect setup if the Eotech battery is down. Using the iron sight with the MARS was very difficult and does not really work in the heat of an engagement.

The PEQ is an illuminator and Laser that's wired to the TAVOR's button on the foregrip so that I can now operate the PEQ illuminator and/or laser with the side button. I chopped of the pressure switch that came with the PEQ and hooked it up to the switch on the TAVOR foregrip. This setup works great and is far better than the MARS setup.

20av5sn.jpg

Edited by bbstriker

Here's a list of upgrades i've made,

-DeepFire titanium full tooth piston

-Systema pom piston head with bearing

-Prometheus m100 spring

-Marui eg1000 motor

-Prometheus soft hop bucking

-Systema mp5k seal nozzle (not quite airtight, but is better than the stock one)

-Madbull tightbore barrel (ak one cut down)

-King arms tri-mount

-Replaced mag catch spring

-Replaced all screws with stainless hex screws

-Fitted mosfet chip

Runs at 320fps with rpm of 1300 and feels more solid with better trigger response than stock.

post-61077-1248532613_thumb.jpg

Pudding i know this might be asking a lot but is there any chance you can take some hi-res pictures of the gearbox both inside and out please ?

these are the best ones i have to hand, im doing more more work on it the beginning of this week so will take some more then

DSC_49840001-1.jpg

DSC_49850001-1.jpg

DSC_50250001_1.jpg

and my tavor as it stands at the moment

DSC_51160001.jpg

DSC_51430001.jpg