Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tav11.jpg

Here's my try at this:

tavor.jpg

For comfortable aiming I had to saw away the rear sight, just like they remove it in IDF (the ACOG eye relief is simply too short). Couldn't find the proper QD mount so had to use LaRue replica, it is close enough.

• 2 weeks later...

What's your opnion on the KA nozzle? was gonna buy a load of different brands and see which was the best.,

also, why classic army piston? there pretty poor really.,

The King Arms nozzle works fine, nice airseal.

The piston is a CA reinforced with full metal teeth. Some modification is required (first tooth and some edges).

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd try my luck here:

I bought an AB mosfet off Ebay, and it ended up not being compatible with my Tavor.

To those who have installed an AB successfully, what brand did you use?

I am currently about to purchase one from infected armories(US).

After the first one I burned out my motor, and I have replaced the gearset with Promy Hard Gears.

I just purchased these upgrades and they will be going in when they get here:

Prommy air nozzle

G&P 120 motor

Systema bucking

motor tab connectors(as I hate soldering multiple times to open and close the GB)

DF piston

Guarder sp110 spring

The first AB mosfet half cycled the GB, and I returned it and it was tested and worked fine supposedly on his gun.

I'm really looking for some helpful answers as I'm about tired of this gun from just opening the GB over 30 times over a period of 3 days :(

• 4 weeks later...

The thing you should know is you'll likely have a compression problem to solve, for which gearbox experience is essential.

Also, when putting the GB back together, the motor puts pressure on the gearset (due to the captive design), so it's a bit of a pain getting everything lined up.

Other than the compression problem, you'll also want to sort the hop nub out - which necessitates cracking the GB open. Again, the integral hop set up isn't a great design.

Edit: the easiest fix is the one for the mag catch - this one is essential, you may be able to live with the others. No GB experience necessary! :D

Edited by The Reptile House
  • 4 weeks later...

Such a shame that it needs such technical expertise out of the box in order to get decent performance out of it, especially as it's such a great looking gun. Maybe it's time to look for one second hand and make sure the gearbox work has already been done.

Beardy

Mine already has one season behind it, works flawlessly, completly stock, perfect performance... So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Ah it does need TLC though,

I think i commented on the main things needed on mine back a few pages ago. Perfectly operational Tavor's are a rarity straight out of the box. It doesn't take a technical genius to put them right but you will need to be able to open a gearbox and get your hands dirty.

Unless you got one with a leaky nozzle giving you a crappy performance, I wouldn't change a thing unless it breaks. Other than that, you absolutly have to reinforce the mag catch and the way the Tavor is made (the space behind it, it almost seems like they wanted to put something in there to do just that) it's such an easy thing to fix that any noob could do it. After that you get a solid performer (maybe not a race gun mind you). All gearboxes eventually needs to be cracked open and the only difference on the Tavor is that it's a bit harder to do than the more mainstream guns.

For some reason the G&G G2000 with all it's serious (and harder to fix) flaws and superior pricing doesn't seem to attract as much negative feedback. Not only that but the Tavor is the first draft of this particular gun in the airsoft world while the G2000 is the third or fourth.

Go figure...

Edited by MrBond

Its the pricing that drives people to complain.

If I spent $500 on an AEG rifle and have it not work OOTB and requiring more parts, I would be more "sore" than if I spent $300 on an AEG rifle and have it not work OOTB the same way. Certainly more true if a $100 rifle has better parts and less issues than the $500 counterpart, something you expect to be ironed out on the $500 rifle.

This is the nature of airsoft guns. You pay for a Ferrari you get a Lada in a Ferrari shell, but you pay for a cheap Daihatsu and get a Daihatsu but with bulletproof windows.

Not sure I follow you there... the Tavor is around 385 USD$ while the G2000 is 395 USD$... wich one's the Ferrari shell ? lol

Mind you like I mentioned in my review, I prefer having a gun with great externals and, if needed, upgradable internals than one with great internals and poor externals that you can't do much about.

But that's just me... ;)

Edited by MrBond

Do you have a G2010?

Id very much doubt it if you think the Ares Tavor is better and less problematic than it. I do have both myself and as much as i love the Tavor, it took a fair bit of work to get it right.

You neglected to mention one of its most common problems. The intermittant semi automatic fault. this needs the gun to be stripped right back to repair and its been present on most of the Tavors im familiar with.

I haven't had (or even heard of tbh) a single "serious" flaw with the G2010 yet, and even if/when i need to strip and service it, it takes less than a minute to get the gearbox out and the motor is removable without splitting the gearbox. Another of the headaches of the Tavor.

In my own opinion, the Tavor has great potential (Mine is a fantastic gun now), but the piston, air nozzle and certainly the hopup rubber are below bar. The sight is total cack and i only ever use it as a photo prop these days, and the wires can get bitten in the bolt when you cock it. Most magazines are pretty rattly in the magwell too,

The G2010 was great straight from the box and overall much less labour intensive than the Ares Tavor.

Here they are side by side, :)

4633081527_5010f9b58f.jpg

No I don't own the G2010 but I do follow the thread in wich you contributed alot because it was a model I considered buying (yes I've also been bitten by the bullpup bug ;) ). I do own the Tavor tho and like I said, it's only a matter of opinion on my part that I rather have stronger externals than internals. To me the serious flaws to the G2010 (wich, again, I don't own) is the ridiculously mounted buttplate wich I'm sure you would vouch yourself, is way better on the Tavor. Also the problems with the magwell for STANAG mags, the holes close to the gearbox that needs to be plugged to prevent dirt from messing it up, lack of trades (or *suitcasey* ones)... to me that's just too much. I know purists love their gearboxes to be standard and taken out quick but to me, one that simply takes a little bit longer to take out, that's not really a flaw. I will only take mine out for repairs, maybe once a year. Might even be a positive if it means it's more solidly held in there than most.

I'm not saying the Tavor is perfect, far from that (I do mention all these flaws in my review). I bought the first CTAR-21 with pos MARS sight at the high price. Managed to get some money back by selling the MARS to a collector, got the rails etc... So price wasn't too much of an issue. The semi fault you mention... that's might be annoying to someone that switches between firing mode often so it depends on the player on how bad a flaw it is (wich btw is a flaw found on many other AEG models, even M4s...). As for the wires, well my first AEG was a G36 so I feel like I've never had it so good with a Tavor lol. It's all a matter of opinion wich flaws are worst, it just seems people nitpick more on the Tavor than the G2010 and I don't really get why (ARES haters maybe?).

Like I said earlier for the internals, mine shoots a very consistent 390fps with .20g, hop up is great and stays dialed-in, and all this after one season of full day games every two weeks or so... I don't consider that crappy at all. Btw altho mine wasn't bought there, theSaint wich managed a partial legalisation of airsoft in Canada, got the manufacturer to produce a canadian legal version wich consist of the TAR and CTAR that come standard with the rails instead of the MARS and as upgraded internals right off the bat. Website is www.oneworldairsoft.com if I remember correctly and is at canadian prices. It makes a good reference for upgrades + I think he sells the replacement parts.

The only thing I really wonder as a comparison between the two models tho and you probaly could give me an answer, wich of the two has the more solid composite body? I own a G&G UMG and if the G2010 consits of the same material, I would say the Tavor probably as a stronger body but the G2010 has the smoother finish... How about it?

Edited by MrBond
...a canadian legal version wich consist of the TAR and CTAR that come standard with the rails instead of the MARS and as upgraded internals right off the bat. Website is www.oneworldairsoft.com if I remember correctly and is at canadian prices. It makes a good reference for upgrades + I think he sells the replacement parts.

So yours was pre-upgraded? Do you think that may be why your experience with the Tavor has been different to some of us who used it OOTB? ;)

Btw altho mine wasn't bought there, ...

Mine was bought from Cybergun in the US...

It was thought of at the time that buying it from the US via Cybergun added an additional quality control...

Edited by MrBond

Maybe, it's hard to know... Most people on forums will posts only when they hit a problem and so you don't really get to hear from the "satisfied customers" and how many there is. The Tavor as been a huge seller for ARES, I'm guessing it must not be such a bad performer OOTB, but who really knows.

Overall I'm sure we can all agree that for an original model, it could have been much worse (TSI anyone? ;))