Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are pretty much the same as ever OOTB. The newer ones have a shrink wrapped motor (reason unknown) and the soldered motor wires are gone, replaced by connectors - which makes life a bit easier with the motor.

Once you solve the compression issue etc, they are great AEGs. I do think there are direct similarities between the Tavor's faults and the Masada's though - which illustrates how well ARES deals with feedback.

This Tavor thread is also worth reading. Lots of helpful input from Beretta, who knows these things at expert level.

Edited by Bishamon Tiger

They are pretty much the same as ever OOTB. The newer ones have a shrink wrapped motor (reason unknown) and the soldered motor wires are gone, replaced by connectors - which makes life a bit easier with the motor.

Once you solve the compression issue etc, they are great AEGs. I do think there are direct similarities between the Tavor's faults and the Masada's though - which illustrates how well ARES deals with feedback.

This Tavor thread is also worth reading. Lots of helpful input from Beretta, who knows these things at expert level.

sweet. Any word on fixes to the scope? I really wanted the short version with the mars replica but have yet to hear of anyone keeping the mars due to ghosting/terribly weak lighting.

I'm not surprised - it's probably fine at 0.98J. If you read through the thread, you'll see that many others who play at higher FPS limits have reported compression issues OOTB.

Other issues that have been pointed out are down to proprietary internal parts (it's difficult to find a like for like replacement for the nozzle, for instance), but since you haven't opened yours as you say, you probably wouldn't have had to face that particular ball ache.

Also, the hop arm/nub design is dodgy and you have to open the gearbox to remove the hop or the motor (actually don't think the Masada suffers from the latter two gems).

Edit: oh, were you saying the Masada doesn't have internal issues? I've been reading that thead and it seems to suffer much the same as the Tavor - please correct me if I'm wrong, as I know you've contributed a great deal to that thread. IIRC, some examples also exhibit play in the barrel - and I know that's been reported in the Tavor, too (though to a lesser degree).

Fair enough, the difference of power output probably plays a lot in the stress applied to the internals.

Masada wise, I've read people complaining about internal issues as well, but as of "stock", they still sound pretty rare, it sounds more linked to people actually trying to change the power output or internal parts and encountering issues after that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big ARES fan particularly, and I'd choose a G&P over theirs any time, but on my part, and with the several games I put into it, my Tavor held pretty nicely so far, reliably. Aside of that damn semi of course...

Masada wise, I've read people complaining about internal issues as well, but as of "stock", they still sound pretty rare, it sounds more linked to people actually trying to change the power output or internal parts and encountering issues after that.

Other Star/Ares guns behave the same way. Out of the box work well, but once you open it to change something different of a new spring, or put a battery above 9.6v, problems appear.

My G36 was accurate and did around 330fps when new (perfect for our local power limits). Then I tried to put a tighbore barrel and it became a ~200fps peashooter. At the end, I discovered that the hop up chamber was out of spec and a bit bigger than it should be. It did't work correcty with anything other that the stock red rubber and inner barrel.

I think most Ares guns have nice externals, but average internals despite their innovative features. Something between VFC and ICS.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my CTAR21 today, 2nd hand, in near new condition.

What I can say is:

- The rifle is totally unbalanced, about as unbalanced as an L85.

- The rifle is possibly the most complicated take down after the old Marui MP5s.

- The fibre reinforced body isn't fibre reinforced polymer. Its Nylon plastic over an ABS inner frame, as opposed to true FRP like on the Star L85 or the CA plastic furniture.

- As already mentioned by someone else. Body is rigid, which is good. Feels good in hand.

- One buttstock tab already broke on this rifle, its a stress fracture on the rubber coated inner ABS plate.

- The Trigger is painfully stiff to pull. The trigger bridge is a polished stainless steel but the mechbox tolerances are affected by the paint so it sticks.

- The trigger that pushes against the semi-auto mechanism does not rotate freely in the mechbox, hence another cause of stiff trigger pull.

- As already mentioned, Trigger pull is way too long.

- Mechbox design is good, workmanship is crude but functional.

- As already mentioned, has airseal issues.

- Semi-auto jams, but can be/is now fixed by modding the cut off lever.

- The outer barrel has vertical wobble. Outer barrel is aluminium.

- The MARS unit is very well constructed but totally Poos in function. After looking at Hristo's commentary on lengthening the lens distance I pulled the lens out and sure enough the parallax was eliminated. I just don't know how he repositioned the LED and installed the "mirror".

- Laser is ar$e, probably more useful with NVGs.

- The LED brightness looks fixable by using super bright LEDs. I will confirm later.

- As already mentioned by everyone, accuracy and range is pretty darn good, not shockingly impressive, but is good.

- As already mentioned, magazine drops when one's wrist hits the mag release button. Mag release tension is too light.

- Star PMAGs work.

Overall, design and workmanship wise, I am not impressed. For my liking the weapon is skirmishable but leaves a lot to be desired I guess we pay for its uniqueness rather than its actual worth.

This review is probably a bit belated, but seem appropriate.

Work that I probably need to do to this:

- Smoothen the trigger mechanism

- Shortened trigger pull

- Decrease trigger tension

- Fix/Replace MARS

- Increase magazine release tension

- Fill up the empty spaces in front of the gun with lead to make this more balanced.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

i ran a tar for about 6 months, and i loved it. but, i did not have alot of the issues that 3vi-d4n and others had. i didnt have any trouble with my trigger. my semi(all i ever use) works perfectly. i have the dark earth variant with the top rail, so i added a hurricane eotech replica 556. i did fix the problem that 3vi-d4n is having with it being unbalanced though, by adding a halo suppressor to the front and a surefire torch. the added weight from those couple things balanced it out real nice.

I got mine in :) :)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/BigBabyMoses06/Airsoft/ARES%20TAVOR/

P1010462.jpg

P1010470.jpg

Most of my worries have been put to rest. This thing is built like a tank externally. Poly feels like its from a Pmag or better!

T-1 might look too high, or funky, but its a great fit. Pops right into place on the gun, and into view when I address a target.

Old style Pmag needs to be pushed a little extra to lock, but MAG mids fit perfectly, with some wobble side to side.

I imagine the new M-mags are a great fit.

Initial Pros:

-Feels great.

-Solid, yet lightweight.

Initial cons:

-There was a loose screw in the battery compartment... wtf?

-Provided midcap DOES NOT LOCK INTO PLACE WTF? Sold them off quick.

-Dust cover is very wimpy in sliding after releasing the bolt catch. It nearly doesn't go back into place. I'm assuming the spring is a simple fix.

-Selector does not "snap" or click into place, but its workable.

Battery on the way.

My Tavor is in the shop sadly. I pulled the trigger and nothing happens, upon further investigation it seems that the motor wants to work, but it doesn't seem like its moving anything. Considering that the Tavor uses proprietary parts and how bothersome the take down is, I just handed it to an airsoft mechanic. Considering that the only non stock part in the gun was my spring, I'll make sure to tell you guys what happened to it as its probably something that may likely happen in others' Tavors.

Yeah the original motor is junk, like most of the ARES motors. I replaced with a G&G ultra torque up motor.

To balance out my CTAR I had to put 600g of lead weights to the foregrip and front compartments. Now its balance point is around the rear of the pistol grip.

I fixed the mag release spring tension by adding an extra spring behind the magazine release lever.

I sorted the trigger response by shortening trigger reset switch distance. Its about as responsive as any AEG M4.

One thing I noticed though, is that the rifle hooks to the left. So I replaced its inner barrel with a tightbore and its fine.

I got my Tavor back recently and apparently my problem was that my motor head wasn't adjusted properly. Though glad I didn't have to replace anything, I was disappointed at the QC on this one. Though it does surprise me that I've haven't ran into this problem earlier.

And I have to ask, does anyone run a 11.1 lipo in this all stock? I'm just wondering if it can handle it.

I got my Tavor back recently and apparently my problem was that my motor head wasn't adjusted properly. Though glad I didn't have to replace anything, I was disappointed at the QC on this one. Though it does surprise me that I've haven't ran into this problem earlier.

And I have to ask, does anyone run a 11.1 lipo in this all stock? I'm just wondering if it can handle it.

mines on the way :D I'll let you know but I am going to throw an infected mosfet on to prevent motor blow out!

I do but I stay on semi-auto 90% of the time. Also only get through maybe 300 rounds in a skirmish day since I only go to milsim events.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that silent tank, but don't let it dissuade you, its a good system, though after handling my friend's Masada, I really want an electric trigger.

haha yeah I have heard many a good thing about the masada. However I was thinking about going another route with the polarairsoft gearbox. Mmmm that inside a hurricane shrike body would be intimidating. And the electronic trigger system on it gives it insane response. I was begging them to make the gearbox for the tavor lol

• 4 weeks later...