Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon lads, its a lipo battery, you can fry any trigger contacts with a decent power lipo, The mosfet was one of the very first mods i made to mine and something i always do to all my rifles just for peace of mind. particularly those with weird or hard to get trigger contacts.

the tavor microswitch is only rated at 15a as far as i can remember so its not ideal to be run on any fairly powerful battery, You can get replacements handy enough but prevention is better than cure, especially with a gun thats as much of a pain to strip as the Tavor. :)

Whats your problem? Are ya not getting any power to the gearbox? The motors in these are a pile of shít too, that could be the issue.

You can buy spare switches in Maplin electronics. its a just called a small microswitch on their site. Better off taking out your old one and dropping into their shop to compare, but they defo have them. :)

it's finicky firing. I believe it has something to do with the selector switch or trigger, although I am not sure. Safe and semi function fine, but full auto does not work. In semi auto, I hear a click at the end of the pull (in the trigger mechanism, I'm guessing it is the microswitch), but not when it is in full auto. Could this be the issue? Faulty trigger unit? Or maybe the only thing I have heard people recommend to me, which is the selector rod needs tightened. Or maybe how the selector switch and trigger are set up together is off. Idk.

It could be the selector rod alright, id start there and see if that makes any difference. the microswitch is obviously working if semi is fine, it can only be the little piece that presses the microswitch or the rod itself. Id pull the gearbox and fire it while not in the gun and see if theres anything obvious there. if it works fine then it looks like the rod is the issue. :)

• 3 months later...

Fixed my issue, turns out it was the thing that holds onto the selector switch rod not being back far enough to fully engage something in the back where the gearbox is. I just loosened it, slid it back on the rod deeper, tightened and now it works perfectly. I am getting 20 rps on a 7.4v lipo with the stock gears and a Dream Army torque motor. :D quite pleasing, I don't think I need to do anything to it. MAYBE some high speed gears later but we'll see.

Ok you've convinced me I'm having one.

Wife has given the ok!!

Having read right through this thread first job is to sort the mag catch and then see how it performs.

The nozzle May need replacing. What type is it? M4 ak mp5?

If i'm going into the gearbox might as well do the hop rubber and nub. Change piston. Anything else?

Thanks all for your pioneering !!

Me again.

And to say Im slightly perplexed.

I really want a de variant, so i contacted a UK based seller who has a price promise as they are alot more expensive than another retailer. To be told that theirs is more expensive because it has trades on and the other seller hasn't.

Is there such a thing?

Never come across there being trade and non trade marked types?

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Talk to a decent Airsoft techie and all will tell you the same thing

AVOID this gun like the plague !!!!

It is in the top ten of the worst / most unreliable Airsoft guns ever made

Unless you wish to spend lots of money on v hard to find upgrades and change 90 % of the internals it will never work for any usable amount of time

An absolute lemon of a gun !!

• 2 weeks later...

Talk to a decent Airsoft techie and all will tell you the same thing

AVOID this gun like the plague !!!!

It is in the top ten of the worst / most unreliable Airsoft guns ever made

Unless you wish to spend lots of money on v hard to find upgrades and change 90 % of the internals it will never work for any usable amount of time

An absolute lemon of a gun !!

It's not that bad, just make sure you don't spend too much on it.

That other Tavor, TSI I believe, them acting like it never existed, is far worse that this.

Lets not forget there are many guns that are terrible, unless you have never witnessed the first Chinese horde.

I bought mine cheap. 200EUR, changed for about 70EUR in parts to SHS parts and shoots like a dream.

The previous guy had it running stock for more than a year too.

Besides, what is a decent techie these days? :rolleyes:

Ares make their internals out of bird pooh and cheese , the gearbox casing is a weak design , the micro switch triggers are poor quality the trigger bar on the tavor is a joke ( actually bends in use ) the hop unit leaks air like a dog that's eaten vindaloo curry , the motors burn out frequently , the mars sight is a joke and Dosnt work . Etc and the whole gun has to come apart to work on it . How bad can it get before you say it's a bad gun ???? And then to top it all s&t made a rebranded version with brittle plastic externals and a plastic gearbox with the metal box as a chargeable option ( deluxe version )

Edited by Baddbaz

Yup its that bad.

There are a few things you can do to make it easier to work on. One is you can mod the hop unit so it doesn't have to be joined to the mechbox. So the mechbox should come out after 3 screws and a Pin.

The motor needed to change, but so is most other AEGs. A good motor will minimise contact erosion.

After I worked on mine it shot fairly good.

The two things which killed it for me was that it was rear heavy (which required a counterweight to the front which then made he CTAR heavier than 4kgs), and trigger pull was much too long to get a good response. If it was better balanced at 3kg and had a shorter trigger pull I would've kept it. But thats in a perfect world.

Hence waiting on the Magpul PDR.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder how S&T's new metal gearbox version of the Tavor compares with the Ares in the shooting department? Granted the exterior fit and finish maybe far from perfect, but it appears the S&T does ok right out of the box when you pull the trigger. Add to that a price under $200.00 US and it seems like a decent buy. In the USA the Ares runs for nearly $500.00+ US and to buy that with these issues just doesnt seem like the way to go.

Edited by Wingman

There was a reveiw of this a while back on u tube and it didn't do very well , basically an ares tavor with even worse build quality and materials used !

The ares can be sorted , but at a price , trigger bar , hop , tappet plate , bearings , wiring , trigger contacts etc and even then the gearbox is still prone to cracking unless you sorbothane it which buys it a bit more time . Also the fact it is an absolute pig to work on Dosnt help !!

Edited by Baddbaz

I find it rather easy to work on. There is a lot to do to get the gearbox out, but other than that piece of cake.

But you sir are from the UK, a country destined to receive bad batches of AEG's, especially Ares AEG's. :D

Ah well on the other hand I am used to working on "last change" gearboxes.