Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys

im considering buying a TAR-21.

Action Hobbys is within walking distance of me but they dont have a TAR-21 in my price range.

im looking to spend around 200 smackers for one as im currently saving for an M99 Barrett.

anyone have any ideas where i can get one, preferably not overseas though.

doesnt have to have any silly accessories or anything, just the weapon itself.

thanks

hi guys

Action Hobbys is within walking distance of me but they dont have a TAR-21 in my price range.

im looking to spend around 200 smackers for one as im currently saving for an M99 Barrett.

thanks

Currently, I think you'll only get a (very) broken one for £200. They are around £444 delivered. Are you any good with repairing AEGs? If so, then I think you may struggle to find one very broken TAVOR 21.

Edited by bbstriker

After a month and a half of use:

Good things:

- excellent polymer body

- excellent stock range and accuracy

- trademarks

- quick spring change

- spring/bolt release

- relatively quiet

Bad things:

- MARS (both red dot and laser) useless

- front sight can be pushed sideways, needs additional spring to keep it in place

- rear sight base wobbles

- barrel wobbles slightly due to metal being too soft

- magazines other than ARES wobble

- dimensions seem to be off (rifle is too long, according to IWI data)

- internals relatively hard to reach

- proprietary gearbox

- selector not smooth (hard to describe really, but it is far from smoothness of an AR, for example)

- no MOSFET

- sometimes rifle does not respond while in single fire mode, needs switching to auto

Is it worth the price ? Definitely not for me.

Mine actually arrived with one of the body pins missing. Some deficiencies can be solved (front sight moving, MOSFET), but this rifle is still a disappointment for me, especially for the price payed.

Edited by Hristo
  • 2 weeks later...
hi guys

thanks

Handing out blowjobs on the streetcorner might get you closer to a tar21  :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to take the Tavor out for spin this weekend - and was somewhat disappointed.

The hop could not be set properly, the rounds were either climbing for the sky or diving for the ground. The bolt catch that holds the ejection port cover open is very handy for adjusting the hop. The problem is that when you hit the bolt release the hop unwinds, completely screwing your adjustments. I just couldn't get it set properly, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and wait until the hop is 'bedded in'. I couldn't get a good gauge of the range of the gun 'cos the hop wasn't adjusted properly.

While testing the hop, the gun locked up. I could hear the motor trying to turn over but it just wouldn't. Upon opening the back of the gun, I saw that the bolt on the back of the quick change spring was at a funny angle. I removed and replaced the bolt properly. As I was screwing it in, something in the gearbox went 'click' and the gun cycled properly again.

After spending ages getting the hop to a point I thought I could live with and fixing the gearbox, I went to chrono the gun. It came out at a 412fps average! Brilliant, I couldn't even use the gun. Good job it has a quick change spring.

Starting to regret spending the money.

Well the hop is very very sensitive. I mean like 1mm/ 0.5mm movement will have a significant effect. If you bear this in mind, you should be able to adjust the hop OK. My Ares TAVOR is VERY accurate and consistent- but only after I nudged the hope ever so slightly, like you could not see that it moved!

The locking up problem is also familiar but I wouldn't call it a lock up as much as it is a failure of the gearbox to cycle. I think this is due to the crappy motor having poor torque characteristics. Since using an 11.1 V Lipoly battery, the 'lock-up' only happens after prolonged usage when the voltage gets low.

However, I can't get more than 350fps with a spring that should be taking it to 380fps. I think I must have air leakage.

I think this is a tremendous airsoft weapon but pricy when considered with the absolute *suitcase* MARS sight.

OK, what's the trick to getting the spring out?

I've got the spring partially out, but it won't come all the way, like it's attached to the piston somehow. Quick change spring my albatross!

Also, I've read on other forums that the gun has a microswitch instead of trigger contacts, a built in mosfet, and the bolt release catch also releases the spring tension in the gearbox like on ICS guns.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Edited by Rogue845

Is there a definitive word on whether MagPul PTS or Green Label mags will fit the CTAR-21? Did a search on this thread and someone mentioned the pmags 'did not lock'. On the other hand, I saw some pics of the CTAR with pmags in the pictures thread.

I'm picking up my AEG next week and am considering getting some Pmags to complete 'the look' :)

I had my Aries Tavor upgraded by replacing the transparent piston body, gears, motor and spring. However, I recently encountered some problems. Whenever I would depress the trigger, I would get a burst, but a second press on the trigger would not work, and requres working the selector switch to produce a burst. Has anyone encountered the same problem?

Well I've had the Tavor for a couple of days now and some issues popped up after a short session of backyard plinking:

1. The outer barrel wobbles a bit

2. The flash hider, when screwed on tight, doesn't sit right. The bird cage doesn't point in the 12 o'clock position

3. On 11.1v li-poly, the gun will fire full-auto from time to time even though it's set on semi-auto

4. Managed to find some N batteries, but the laser worked only on the first day while the red (ugly) dot (for what it's worth) works

5. The hop-up dial is very loose, and even on zero hop, the .2 KSC BB flies skyward always immediately

I did like the following:

1. Gun is very nice to shoulder and very pointable

2. It fired around 360fps right out of the box. This is the same as what the test tag claimed (1.27 joules)

While I think it has the potential to be a very good primary AEG, I must say I am kinda disappointed that it has all these niggly issues out of the box. I expected better. I'm just glad I didn't pay too much of a premium for this (Indonesian prices can get crazy high).

I'm wondering if I can replace the whole hopup with a spare Guarder M4 one I have lying around. It looks the same, but it seems that it's attached to the gearbox. Can it be removed and replaced? If that's not an option, anyone can advise how to fix the hop issues short of using .30bb exclusively? I have some Guarder and Prometheus hard bucking lying around.

As for the MARS... most likely I'll remove this thing to save some weight. If the hop is fixed and it's as accurate as folks say here, I'll stick with the iron sights. My Hurricane Eotech's reticule disappears under bright sunlight and I'm not sure the China made ones are any better. On a sidenote, how come no one makes replicas of the Meprolight? ^_^

Thanx in advance for any advise!

Edited by jesTer
hopup unit can't be replaced as it is integrated to the gearbox, but change the hopup rubber for a prometheus, and remove the little pusher thingy, that aplies pressure on the rubber, and replace it by an h-hop (5$ at ebaybanned); this solved all my hopup issues!

Thanx for the reply... do you mean this H-Hop? > http://www.ebairsoft.com/element-hhop-marui-0605-p-1080.html

3. On 11.1v li-poly, the gun will fire full-auto from time to time even though it's set on semi-auto

Majority of the AEG's have this.

A mosfet will solve that problem, but a 7,4V lipo is more than enough and doesn't go auto on semi.

Majority of the AEG's have this.

A mosfet will solve that problem, but a 7,4V lipo is more than enough and doesn't go auto on semi.

Faulty cut off levers and/or sector gears are primarily the cause of bursts on semi. Higher ROF only makes it worse. For those who have the burst semi problem, check the cut off lever and sector gear before buying anything.

Well I've had the Tavor for a couple of days now and some issues popped up after a short session of backyard plinking:

My Hurricane Eotech's reticule disappears under bright sunlight and I'm not sure the China made ones are any better. On a sidenote, how come no one makes replicas of the Meprolight? ^_^

Thanx in advance for any advise!

Ebaybanned do an excellent Eotech 557 replica with a reticule bright enough for bright sunshine- I used it today and it's the best Eotech replica I used. I replaced the rubbish Mars sight on my Ares TAVOR with this. I've posted a picture at the beginning of this page http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...8463&st=220

Edited by bbstriker
Ebaybanned do an excellent Eotech 557 replica with a reticule bright enough for bright sunshine- I used it today and it's the best Eotech replica I used. I replaced the rubbish Mars sight on my Ares TAVOR with this. I've posted a picture at the beginning of this page http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...8463&st=220

Unfortunately my Eotech doesn't have the side controls, but I am going to try it on anyway when the the mailman brings the rail. The MARS is gone, until another version comes that can be usable.

Next up, motor change. Hopefully it will solve the firing issues many people experienced, or it will destroy the AEG all the way, because that will be the first time I open a gearbox...so any tips count people!

Oh, the new motor will be a Systema Magnum in case anyone wonders..

Edited by liongreek