Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd, It seems to be pre-cocking for me, its either that or the motor in the Ares Tavor is miles ahead of my CA36, which is very likely.

And why are you able to use your spring release after single shot? Shouldn't firing on single pull the piston back and then let go, letting all the tension off, then stop?

I wish it wasn't raining right now, it's be nice to double check this.

Odd, It seems to be pre-cocking for me, its either that or the motor in the Ares Tavor is miles ahead of my CA36, which is very likely.

And why are you able to use your spring release after single shot? Shouldn't firing on single pull the piston back and then let go, letting all the tension off, then stop?

I wish it wasn't raining right now, it's be nice to double check this.

Not sure how many kinks the bevel gear has inside the ARES Tavor. I've see as little as 2 from a TM gb and as many as 5 somewhere else. The pistion can stop on any of these kink positions after one cycle.

How does the G&G SA80 when and where to stop the piston anyway?

The STAR SA80 has spring release integrated to the fire selector lever, but it is not supposed to "pre-cock".

Just to counter the super clean and God forbid "Magpulized" or "Eotechized" Tavor look, here's how I like it most: authentic IDF.

tavdrt.jpg

what model red dot would this be?

and has anyone found a stand in outerbarrel extension with a +14 thread for the tar 21?

It looks like a real mepro 21 sight Puding.

But i think theres a thread in the technical forum where a guy is making replica's from these,

http://www.supremeco.com.hk/catalog/images/oko_8s.jpg

Oh, and you can use those WA GBB style barrels that come in 3 pieces for the expension. its cheap enough for the entire barrel. My one is from an FN2000.,

Edited by beretta

Regarding the red dot, yes, it is realsteel Mepro 21.

BTW, I have tried a lower rail made for realsteel Tavor (http://www.zahal.org/products/tavor-picatinny-rail). The grooves do not fit ARES handguard (spacing is slightly different). It is slightly annoying but can be fixed with a little dremel work.

Regarding the red dot, yes, it is realsteel Mepro 21.

BTW, I have tried a lower rail made for realsteel Tavor (http://www.zahal.org/products/tavor-picatinny-rail). The grooves do not fit ARES handguard (spacing is slightly different). It is slightly annoying but can be fixed with a little dremel work.

Thanks I was wondering about that rail... do you have a pic of it assembled ?

Finally tried it at a game yesterday, and boy that gun is a killer !

Great accuracy, and great range (best I've seen), real nice ! My favorite by far. My only real complain is the mag release lever that I hit several times without even realizing it, and it has an added spring in it, so I can't even imagine without that... It's just so close to the shooting hand that I dropped my mag 4 times in one day, and it's a DE PMAG, so not easy to find back... I probably need to get used to be careful to that.

Also, as soon as I started tuning it, I had to add a little rubber under the hopup wheel or else it wouldn't keep in the right position and would "jump" for max to min. Once piece of cling wrap added under that and it was perfect, tight fit and tight tuning.

Aside of that, awesome, great look and a pleasure to use, plus everyone wanted to "have a look" at it :D

A few pics of this beauty, with a Hurricane 552, holosight is wtg ^^

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

Edited by Ycare

Piston broke yesterday :lol:

This is the list of replaced parts in my tavor:

Motor (original died)

Piston head (I put a head with bearings to reduce tension)

Nozzle (leaking air)

Hop up rubber (pierced by the "nub")

Piston (broke because of the rof... maybe)

I think those are the 5 parts that everyone is going to change in this gun sooner or later.

My only real complain is the mag release lever that I hit several times without even realizing it, and it has an added spring in it, so I can't even imagine without that... It's just so close to the shooting hand that I dropped my mag 4 times in one day, and it's a DE PMAG, so not easy to find back... I probably need to get used to be careful to that.

Btw just so some people can benefit, I didn't have a spare spring laying around and cut it down to do the usual mod for the mag release, but i did have a spare CA36 hop-up/inner barrel tension spring and not only did it work beautifully, it was the perfect width and lenght, no additional mod needed to fit it right in.

Disajim,

What brand of parts did you replace the problematic parts with? Then again, were you using an upgraded Tavor with Lipoly battery?

Replacements, nothing special.

CA Torque Up Motor

Shooter (Ares) Ventilated Piston head with bearings

King Arms Nozzle (M4A1/M16A2)

G&G Cold Resistant Hop up Bucking

CA Piston

No upgrades. Stock spring with a 11.1v lipo.

Here's what's new in mine - none of it was essential, but the GB was opened due to concerns over poor compression:

Guarder clear hop rubber (stock one was thin, flimsy and not well moulded)

Prometheus M16A2 airseal nozzle (stock one was poorly moulded and possibly leaky)

Prometheus POM bearing piston head (stock one was very basic and lacked vents)

Kanzen 8mm bearings (just because the gearbox was open - I'm sure the stock bushings etc are fine)

G&P M160 motor (I burned out the stock one - which was my fault)

The only other thing I'd like to replace is the piston, but I wasn't confident in selecting one which would fit without some work.

The trigger response and ROF from the motor are both really, really impressive - and I'm only running a 7.4v lipo. If nothing else, this exercise has made me want a G&P M160 in all my AEGs :) . Thanks to Hristo for the recommendation

All in all, I wasn't really impressed with anything inside the Tavor. Plus, the captive motor design and integral hop are difficult to work with and seem to offer no advantages. Still, it's not the TSI ;)

I think if someone really wants a Tavor, as long as they buy the Ares with their eyes open to its faults it's an OK investment, but I've certainly swung back towards the Real Sword Type 97 as my primary (although it now has competition in my newly acquired Type 97B :) )

Edited by The Reptile House
Btw just so some people can benefit, I didn't have a spare spring laying around and cut it down to do the usual mod for the mag release, but i did have a spare CA36 hop-up/inner barrel tension spring and not only did it work beautifully, it was the perfect width and lenght, no additional mod needed to fit it right in.

I used the semi hard foam that comes in alot of packages. Cut off what you need then stuff it up behind the mag release. Trim down as needed.

Very cheap and easy to do.