Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

My own Tavor is also the Cybergun branded one, and it had all of the problems mentioned so i'd doubt theres any real difference between them.

it strikes me as a little funny when you class lack of trades, butplate and some holes that need to be filled (ive no idea what you mean here) as serious faults yet excuse some of the much greater ones in the Tavor. by your own logic you are giving the g2010 some bad press for poor reasons and excusing the Tavor for worse and don't even have first hand experience to go on.

The but plates cant really be compared between the 2 rifles imo, they are both very different things, and the G&G one doesnt fall off as easily as it appears to those who havent held one. (You can see what its like on one of the video's i did in the G2010 thread)

i dont quite understand what you mean by hole that need to be filled though. I haven't come across any such issue that needed my attention.

As i was saying earlier about the semi issue, its not really down to play style as it only happens in semi auto and the majority of people I game with would use semi moreso than fully automatic. Its caused by the unique mircoswitch mechanism used by Ares in this Tavor and seen is some of their other aegs so you cant compare it to M4's and say plenty of other guns suffer this. its completely different.

here's the piece. :)

4333841586_0cc9ac4cb7.jpg

If the Tavor was a good bit cheaper than it is then i would call it a value for money. As it is though for what you spend you dont get a whole lot in return. The body is great but the rest is just average mostly, cr@p in some parts. The gearbox shell isnt the highest quality ive seen and there's not a whole lot of reinforcement going on in there.

As far as comparing their plastic bodies though, its hard to say really. neither of them have much movement or creaks. they both have really good quality plastics with a nice texture. I prefer the feel of the tavor's hide like texture to the smoother feel of the G2010. personal preference really. :)

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it strikes me as a little funny when you class lack of trades, butplate and some holes that need to be filled (ive no idea what you mean here) as serious faults yet excuse some of the much greater ones in the Tavor. by your own logic you are giving the g2010 some bad press for poor reasons and excusing the Tavor for worse and don't even have first hand experience to go on.

The butt plates cant really be compared between the 2 rifles imo, they are both very different things, and the G&G one doesnt fall off as easily as it appears to those who havent held one. (You can see what its like on one of the video's i did in the G2010 thread)

i dont quite understand what you mean by hole that need to be filled though. I haven't come across any such issue that needed my attention.

Again, as I've mentioned a few times now, I'm simply judging it by my personal preferences, wich is the externals. You do the same but with the internals. The internals on the Tavor all have either quick fixes or easy to find upgrades/replacements IF they are faulty or break. I don't need to have held the G2010 to know that fixing the magwell to take all stanag mags is not that easy a fix since it's a custom mod. Puting a set of straps to make sure the buttplate doesn't fall off is also a major flaw (and unacceptable) in my opinion. Keep in mind also that I'm basing all this from your posts (and others) from the G2010 thread. The holes are the horizontal slits near the buttplate that G&G supposedly will make plugs for, not sure if that was mentioned in your thread or on another forum. Anyway I agree with you that this one might be a non-issue as I would need to see it up close to really know what was the deal with that. But I'm sure as hell not gonna buy a G2010 just to check up on that.

Bad press??? All this started because I stated that I thought people were being harsher on the Tavor than the G2010 for no apparent reason, both AEGs being pretty similar overall, (different) faults and all.

Of course the price of the Tavor is above average for what you get (internally anyway). But again you have to bear in mind that it's the first airsoft version of this weapon, has a proprietary gearbox hence added research and development and full official trades of an highly anticipated model that must have cost quite a penny to ARES. Have you noticed too that all the prices for composite weapons have gone up ? So has the quality of the polymers on them. But what's the excuse for the G2010? Slightly better internals?

When you weigh in all the facts, comparing both pretty much ends up in a draw... in my opinion.

That's true. It's just interesting that the problems reported are very consistent. Having said that, I didn't have the semi/auto problem.

Oh - it's so far away from the TSI, you wouldn't believe it.

I've lucked out on the leaky nozzle that I'm pretty sure. I don't have the semi/auto problem either.

Were you one of the unlucky ones that trusted TSI and bought their Tavor???

Edited by MrBond
  • 1 month later...

So in the end the aRES isn't that bad except for the MARS. What about the Air Nozzle? Seems some people have leaking air nozzlesl, what brand (of nozzles) did you use to fix that?

Anyone else having problems with them?

Edited by GTi

I got some real trigger time behind my Tavor this weekend, and I have to say that I was happy about everything except how finicky my hop up was acting. It seems that the slightest change to the hop up wheel changes the adjustment drastically. I was wondering if I could put an O-Ring behind the screw that holds in the hop up wheel to friction lock it since I remember reading that someone had done that. Can anyone give me any advice on this or possibly tell me about what sized O-Ring I should get?

Hi i'd really like to add a magnifier on the strange looking "rail" (think it's some kinde of twist-click-on system), just before the rear iron sight. Anyone knows what fitting that is? Otherwise I'm planning on removing the circular part, which is held by a screw. File down the plastic bits that stick out. and fit a g36 siderail (short) on top of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some real trigger time behind my Tavor this weekend, and I have to say that I was happy about everything except how finicky my hop up was acting. It seems that the slightest change to the hop up wheel changes the adjustment drastically. I was wondering if I could put an O-Ring behind the screw that holds in the hop up wheel to friction lock it since I remember reading that someone had done that. Can anyone give me any advice on this or possibly tell me about what sized O-Ring I should get?

Yup, I kept my hopup on its sweet post by using some self cling wrap that I cut to fit right behind the little wheel. It's perfect and doesn't move at all. Actually a bit hard to move when I need to re-adujst it because of different humidity/temperature.

Hi i'd really like to add a magnifier on the strange looking "rail" (think it's some kinde of twist-click-on system), just before the rear iron sight. Anyone knows what fitting that is? Otherwise I'm planning on removing the circular part, which is held by a screw. File down the plastic bits that stick out. and fit a g36 siderail (short) on top of that.

I know it's proprietary, so finding fitting equipment fitting for that will be only RS type one, and that's gonna be costy. You might want to look on Zahal or other IDF related websites if you have the budget.

Also, fitting the G36 rail is a good idea, but not so sure about how stable it will be. It's true that the monolith is a bit annoying though... I wish it were removable.

uote name='Varry' date='02 September 2010 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1283451632' post='2369444']

I managed to remove all plastic excedents, mount a g36 siderail, and mount my fts mount with magnifier:

Looks very good. I wish I could find one with all the upgrades pre-installed for a decent price!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, for what it's worth, I probably already had about 5 games with my Tavor, full auto most of the time (since semi is a bit flaky), and I had no issue with it whatsoever. So I don't know what "internal issues" it has, aside of the semi issue, but mine has been running fine, and I never opened it yet.

I'm not surprised - it's probably fine at 0.98J. If you read through the thread, you'll see that many others who play at higher FPS limits have reported compression issues OOTB.

Other issues that have been pointed out are down to proprietary internal parts (it's difficult to find a like for like replacement for the nozzle, for instance), but since you haven't opened yours as you say, you probably wouldn't have had to face that particular ball ache.

Also, the hop arm/nub design is dodgy and you have to open the gearbox to remove the hop or the motor (actually don't think the Masada suffers from the latter two gems).

Edit: oh, were you saying the Masada doesn't have internal issues? I've been reading that thead and it seems to suffer much the same as the Tavor - please correct me if I'm wrong, as I know you've contributed a great deal to that thread. IIRC, some examples also exhibit play in the barrel - and I know that's been reported in the Tavor, too (though to a lesser degree).

Edited by The Reptile House