I picked the Nike SFB (Special Field Boot) up about a month ago because the standard issue desert boots were uncomfortable and destroyed my feet. Deciding between these or the Oakley Assault boots, i chose the Nikes because they were $50 cheaper and also, i'm a nike-head (20+ pairs in my collection!). From what i gather, the only place you can get them is from Nike.com http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=US...co=US&la=EN. They're not exactly cheap, but i'd read good things about them. According to Nike, they were designed with the help of the Nike Innovation Kitchen and military personnel who gave input on fit and features.

L1030554.jpg

Quality

So...for $130, what do you get? A super-light boot that looks more or less like a regulation military desert boot. According to Nike, a size 10 boot weighs about 15.9 oz. Mine is an 8.5, so i guess that means it's lighter. Make no mistake; these are ridiculously light. I was actually kind of annoyed when i got them because i felt like the Oakley Assault boots gave you "more" for you money in terms of padding and all that. To be honest, i still kinda feel that way. The construction is real basic, no additional padding on the interior of the boot. Otherwise, the Nikes are pretty well made, as much as any regular Nike sneaker is. But in the end, it does feel very sneaker-like. Generally boots seem to be over-built to take the punishment of what boots are used for (kicking, hiking etc). The Nike SFB doesn't seem to have that toughness in them. Luckily, i'm a light guy who is easy on my gear, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

L1030555.jpg

Features

The main feature that makes this boot special is the fact that it's a combat boot based on a sneaker. It feels like a sneaker that is 8 inches tall. The sole is based on the Nike FREE running sneaker and is really light as well as flexible. It is NOT waterproof, even though it is gussetted. The gussets run the entire length of the tongue, but are mesh in some parts. This is to prevent debris from entering the boot, not water. There are drain holes on the instep area as well. Since it's designed as a hot-weather boot, the material is fairly light and therefore isn't waterproof. The laces on the boot are made of coyote tan 550 paracord, so replacing the laces is as easy as cutting some paracord to length and runing it through the eyelets. The design of the boot is pretty subtle, as it's based on a regular desert boot. The only place i could find a logo was a small Nike Swoosh on the inside heel area on the midsole.

L1030557.jpg

Usability/Fit/Comfort

This is where the boot really shines. It FEELS LIKE A SNEAKER. I'm generally a 9 in Nikes, but went down to 8.5 because that's my "performance fit" size in sneakers. I truly could not tell that i was wearing boots. It felt like i had a pair of very lightweight running sneakers on. I wore these at an CP3 all day long and had no complaints except for the fact that i stomped through a swamp early in the day and it didn't dry until nearly 6pm. But it wasn't designed to be waterproof, so that's ok. The water drained out of the drain holes like it was supposed to. The soles were fairly grippy, and i had no issue with actually climbing through some of the muddier/rougher patches of ground that day. When i was done, my feet felt fine. My ankles were supported and since the soles were nice and soft, i had no pain in my heels.

L1030556.jpg

Conclusion

They're $130. That's the ONLY thing i don't like about them. For $130, i'd expect a little more than just being a Nike combat boot. They fit well, they work well but i just don't know if it's worth $130. So to be fair, even though i like them a lot and i'm a huge Nike fan, i'd have to say look into other options. They seem fairly light duty, so don't expect to be kicking doors in the sandbox with these. I'm sure they'll hold up under airsofting or garrison use. If you want tacticool boots, look into the Oakley SI Assault boots for another $50. These are just not that worth it. There are also cheaper alternatives that will work as good if not better.

One question if you don't mind:

Does it cause any problems for the back of the heels? During the wear-in period for my Oakleys, I got blisters at the back of my heel after about 2 days.

Thanks for the review!

I never had an issue. I played an all day op in the woods, including going through swamp/water and i had no issues with any blisters. The only thing you have to keep an eye on is to keep making sure the laces are tight, once they start loosening up you're going to get some heel rub.