Weapons of the British Army?

dax0n

My MilSim team has always used the M16, together with our DPM.

We originally wanted to use the M16 since the Pathfinders was using that at the time, and we were recreating Pathfinders.

But now we find inspiration in the Horse Marines, but have taken us the liberty of not adopting the L85, since we haven't been able to find one that is as reliable as our M16's.

Now, I for one likes realism and recreational games, and therefore I'd like us to use what the UK uses. A friend of mine told me that the british army does indeed use the M16 (or the Canadian C7), but I've only been able to find images and other sources showing L85, L119A1 and a few SF using L92A1.

Does anybody know any british units that does use the M16(C7)? I'm fairly sure the UK doesn't use it at all, but me friend keeps saying they do. Also, if they do, what is the "name" of the M16(C7) then in the British Army (Like SA80 = L85 and C8SFW=L119A1)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a number years ago, a 2Para squaddie informed me that the Pathfinders do use M16s, these were a strange mix between an A1 and A2.

However, this was before the whole Diemarco craze.

If your doing anything non-SF or SFSG then i would reccommend an L85 A2

Firstly the ICS SA80 is the best of the bunch, i am told it has perfect reliability.

We brits generally only use m16/c8/other armal(s)ites when doing SF ops for the purposes of pretending it was not us. The m16 and its variants are fairly widespread, 5.56 is fairly easy to get hold of most of the time. Plus if one of your boys looses his gun for whatever reason well, dosent matter its only an m16.

(This post is heavly biased agains the M16, please read it as such :D.)

As has been said, UKSF tend to use the Diemaco C8 (the L119A1) and variations thereof, which is the Canadian version of the M4, alongside the L92A1...

The C7, i'm not so sure... As the pictures above suggest, they have been used (or at least M16s have been), although the first picture shows a yellow painted magazine, which suggests a blank-firing training exercise...

Great guys :) I've just been informed about the ICS L85 a few days ago, and I'll buy that and test it for the team. Then we will probably change our M16's for those :)

But thanks for the answers :)

I had a hunch that the UK's I've seen on pictures using M16 was SF, so that's great to hear :)

I seem to remember the SAS using M-16s?. Recently re-watching the BBC series about the SAS as well as my own recollections from my days of collection 12 inch figures, seem to confirm this. I had a figure(not my pic but the same clothing on the figure on the left) who was meant to be a 1990 SAS Iraq war scudhunter and he had a M-16 with M203 on it.

scud_hunters_photos_1.jpg

image courtesy of: http://mindxstorm.com/scudhunters_photos.html

Thats assuming that the SAS does come under the umbrella of the British Army of course.

From what I can find they seem to have used both the M-16 and the C8. In fact some sources list the C8 as "The Regiment's primary assault carbine"

I seem to remember the SAS using M-16s?. Recently re-watching the BBC series about the SAS as well as my own recollections from my days of collection 12 inch figures, seem to confirm this. I had a figure(not my pic but the same clothing on the figure on the left) who was meant to be a 1990 SAS Iraq war scudhunter and he had a M-16 with M203 on it.

image courtesy of: http://mindxstorm.com/scudhunters_photos.html

Thats assuming that the SAS does come under the umbrella of the British Army of course.

From what I can find they seem to have used both the M-16 and the C8. In fact some sources list the C8 as "The Regiment's primary assault carbine"

I should have said British Armed Forces :)

The C8 is indeed in use by the SAS, under the name L119A1, but I have never been able to find an "L-name" for the M-16, therefore leading me to believe it wasn't a "standard" weapon on the British Armed Forces, but, like said above, a weapon used by the SF's when needed to look like somebody else :)

I should have said British Armed Forces :)

The C8 is indeed in use by the SAS, under the name L119A1, but I have never been able to find an "L-name" for the M-16, therefore leading me to believe it wasn't a "standard" weapon on the British Armed Forces, but, like said above, a weapon used by the SF's when needed to look like somebody else :)

Well the SAS is part of the British Armed Forces, and they've choosen to use the M-16 not because they need to look like somebody else (they'll just end up looking like Americans, which wouldn't make much sense if it was a clandestine operation), but because it is light and apparently for the high cyclic rate and other practical factors.

We brits generally only use m16/c8/other armal(s)ites when doing SF ops for the purposes of pretending it was not us. The m16 and its variants are fairly widespread, 5.56 is fairly easy to get hold of most of the time. Plus if one of your boys looses his gun for whatever reason well, dosent matter its only an m16.

I can't see that being the case at all.

Just found this website:

http://www.geocities.com/saspastandpresent/weaponsmod.htm

while i was looking for sources regarding the weapons of the SAS... Well, looks like you guys were right... And it's awesome to see them using the M16A2, as that's the one I got (M16A2 from WGC Custom... A G&P M16A2)...

Other than that, I've just purchased a Army L85 from a friend of mine... Would have bought an ICS, but this one came tuned for 136 m/s (gotta change spring to a 120 version) and some other internal parts, for what it would have cost to buy a stock Army L85...

So right now, I'm a bit more poor, but also really happy about my new gun :P

L119A1

Listed on wikipidea as the Diemaco C8 SfW Carbine.

That's not an M16, its the equivalent of an M4.

I doubt there is an L designation for the M16, it has only ever been used by a limited number of people. The L119 is in somewhat wider use, so I guess that's why that has been given an L designation.

That's not an M16, its the equivalent of an M4.

I doubt there is an L designation for the M16, it has only ever been used by a limited number of people. The L119 is in somewhat wider use, so I guess that's why that has been given an L designation.

M16 is just an M4 with a longer barrel. I heard somewhere (though this may be complete rubbish) that the L119 has different barrel lenghts, but the same front grips to take it from a C8 carbine to a C8 rifle.

'Corse thats just hear'say.

The C8 family shares the same basics indeed.

newer guns like the sfw and fthb(or a3) are the same except for their designation and their nations own modification.

eg the L119a1 having an reinforced frontsight, whilest the normal sfw only has the bog standart frontsight.

comparing the m4 to the L119a1 isnt as easy.

diemaco is said to be better build compared to colts.

on the outside, only the 16 inch barrel is the biggest difference.

also the whole M16/C7 dispute is pretty funny actually.

what is know is that they DO have used diemacos.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/Roy...pg?t=1244485466

as posted by royal on mp.net

however this is a canadian C7 branded weapon with according markings and otpicls. no fancy landforce designation.

apparently the SAS used these around the time of sierra leone, but the sfw being trailed in 2000 and seeing action in 2001 sets the conclusion that either a) c7 types have been around a bit longer before sierra leone, or B) they just trailed them.

anything previous, were bog standart M16´s from colt.

M16 is just an M4 with a longer barrel. I heard somewhere (though this may be complete rubbish) that the L119 has different barrel lenghts, but the same front grips to take it from a C8 carbine to a C8 rifle.

the sfw/l119a1 barrel has a 16 inch barrel, the c8/m4 builds do have an 14.5 inch barrel:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Reppl...pg?t=1244485582

you can also re-read this on diemaco.com and get your terminology right.

C8 carbine to a C8 rifle.

the c8 is a carbine as is the m4. there is not c8 rifle, this would be the c7 as its the equivalent to an M16 (a rifle).

a C8 is similar to an M4, a C7 is similar to an M16, a C8SFW/L119a1 is somewhere in between with the biggest difference being the barrel. M4/C8 14.5 inch, SFW 16 inch, C7/M16 20 inch.

a number years ago, a 2Para squaddie informed me that the Pathfinders do use M16s, these were a strange mix between an A1 and A2.

However, this was before the whole Diemarco craze.

If your doing anything non-SF or SFSG then i would reccommend an L85 A2

SFSG don't use the L85 A2 anymore, diemacos, HK416/417s ect yes.

Where did you dig up that misinformation?

Special forces SUPPORT group most definantly do.

nice, we'd best inform the guys there and especially the ones who have died in that unit that they are the special forces SUPPORT group, that they don't in fact use L119's at all shall we?

they may have L85's on hand, but they use the others more.

the support group never engage in contacts, all those medals and MID are fakies, they don't infact do CT/HR they mearly stand around holding the Blades shakies and the sneakies coats and drinks.

PS what will you call them if the rumour of the name change happens?...the "regiment"? <_<

please be advised most of this post has a hint of humour to it, don't take it personally. :)

PS would it be too much of cliche to say I know people who know people in this regard?

Archived