hey there !

sugar

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as I can remember around here (Brum) the majority of people I know have referred to lunch as dinner and dinner as tea.

Perhaps it's due to the fact they don't have afternoon tea that they go and play freestyle with the order of things? Could just be a regional thing too.

Just my 2p

I think, I've found out why now. Dinner is the main meal of the day. Lunch tends to be a small quick affair. So if your main meal is at noon then that's dinner. If not, and it's the 3rd meal of the day in the evening, then that's dinner.

But whether town or country, wherever the dominant industry of an area involves hard labor (e.g., farming, mining, timber trade), the midday meal is an important feature because it divides the day's labor in half and provides well-earned refreshment. The evening meal is smaller than the midday meal and is commonly called 'supper'. In Scotland and northern England, supper is almost invariably called 'tea' (specifically, "high tea" - which does not indicate high formality but indicates that some kind of meat, fish, etc., is being served).

People who live in cities and towns, and especially those who work in "white collar" positions, typically eat dinner in the evening. Their midday meal is called lunch (or luncheon) and is often a small and quick meal, although a business lunch can be large, heavy and protracted.

The word "dinner" comes from the French word dîner, the "main meal of the day", from Old French disner.

Archived