• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to dingodogs, apparently its quite a common problem with the SA80 type AEGs from ARES, a bit of mag wobble causes arcing. A blob of silicone sealant over the solder point added sufficient insulation for me.

It also cured the weird ROF problem with is slowing down then speeding up. The shorting of the live wire was draining power.

Do you know the inner barrel length BTW. I'm probably going to get a tightbore for mine?

• 4 weeks later...

HI,

Just as an update. I think the barrel is more 610mm than 640 (measuring from the bb feed to end of barrel). It looks like a 650mm barrel would reach just up to the openings of the flash hider so I think that is suitable.

I've been trying to get the power up on mine (did 295fps out of the box), but after changing to an M110 spring, ptfe taping the cylinder head and changing the piston head O ring to the next imperial size up its made no difference. The seal is really good so I need to check the hop up next. It looks like there is no adjustment in the hop up. I suspect that the bucking has fallen out during barrel cleaning so I'll put a H hop up in tomorrow. All I can think of is that either there is a massive leak around the nozzle/hop unit or the bb is bouncing off the barrel on the way up and loosing fps that way.

• 2 weeks later...

After an overhaul, the hop up rubber had a tear in it which wasn't good. I changed the hop up rubber and put a spare H bucking in whilst I was at it. That gave be an extra 10 meters of range with little effort. I've since put in the upgraded stainless nozzle, bearing spring guide & cylinder head along with a gaurder vented piston head and a systema cylinder ( I don't like the non vented head that comes as standard).

With all this I still only seems to get about 285 fps (after a few mags bedding in). I put a Mad Bull M110 in and it made no difference (but then it only gave 310 fps on my CA249).

I've tried opening up the gun then holding tissue around various areas (this would show if air was venting out around the hop up or magazine feed) but there seems to be no leaks. The pressure is good on the piston head, certainly when giving even a slightly vigorous push the pressure builds up. My only conclusions are that either a) the round is skittering along the long barrel and slowing down or B) the gear box area is slightly longer than a regular V2/V3 box and hence the spring is under a lot less pre-load (which I suspect is the reason but I can't verify). I could be that because of the QD spring guide, the length of the spring travel is a few mm longer than normal.

I've ordered a couple of guarder springs to see if they make a difference so I guess I'll know later in the week.