VAT on a small package from HK

christhesecond

I've just imported a new nozzle assembly and hop up rubber for my WA M4 from HK. The total value was $98 plus shipping iirc.

I got the usual irritating letter from Parcelfools (which in my experience is rare for a very small package with a relatively low value) which said I owe 11.34 GBP on VAT and 13.50 GBP for PF fees. I owed NOTHING for import duty.

If somebody could tell me why I am paying VAT on this then that would be very helpful. :)

Cheers

Chris

They recently stopped import duty up to £100, I think. It was a bit of a con to make people think imports would be much cheaper, but they kept the VAT on it which is the killer anyway, as it is charged on the value plus the shipping costs.

Aitch, I think VAT is applied on goods over about £18 and gifts over around £30.

I sometimes wonder if Parcelfarce deliberately declare things to HMRC. If your package goes straight through they don't get anything but if it gets hit for VAT they can claim their "administration fee" for getting it back out again.

What? You mean a government owned company deliberately creating income for itself? Never! You'll be telling me that speed cameras are just to make money next :D

If somebody could tell me why I am paying VAT on this then that would be very helpful. :)

You have been charged VAT because it is the law. The import tax limits are as follows :-

Commercial items - £28

Gifts - £36 (Although parcels are always marked as gifts a parcel from a retailer abroad is not a gift, it is classed as a commercial import)

Import duty is applied above £100, 2.5% i think it is?

I sometimes wonder if Parcelfarce deliberately declare things to HMRC. If your package goes straight through they don't get anything but if it gets hit for VAT they can claim their "administration fee" for getting it back out again.

Nah, i've had quite a few come through parcel force that have been marked as value into the hundreds of dollars which have not been taxed, and i don't think they do that as HMRC don't pass parcels on untill they have either been sent through untaxed or taxed.

I'm pretty certain that does happen. I've had items wait 5 days to be checked out with "awaiting charges" as the status only to not have them charged because they don't fall in the taxable bracket. Just last week I missed getting a shipment in time for a game (which was annoying because it happened to include a replacement speed loader) because of the declaration. Then again it did get charged so I can't complain too much in this case.

My opinion is that personal imports should be tax exempt, but the government isn't going to give up that revenue stream. I should start my own country where airsoft is a national sport.

Archived