graphics card issue

my_plague_666

hey, just fitted a new gfx card in my PC and it was working fine, i'd sorted out the drivers etc. it has booted up again after the restart, was displaying the desktop and then as i moved the computer back into place the signal cut out.

the card is still spinning, all the connectors seem fine and it works fine with the old card fitted. i'm completely baffled. it seems like the actual card has died, any ideas. otherwise i'll ring the shop up and send it back for a replacement.

cheers

I wouldn't work on the insides of my PC unless the power cord has actually been disconnected from the PSU. It's a safety thing.

It's safer to keep it plugged in because then everything's grounded. Just remember to turn it off at the psu and the wall.

I've got an idea!

Have you tried taking the card out and blowing the connectors then tapping it on a table? Used to work on my gameboy...

It pretty much sounds like it's fried. It didn't smell at all electrically when it stopped working did it? As if something had actually blown.

My thinking is that moving it while being on was probably a bad idea. You do have all the correct power connectors in place I assume, how ever many PCI-Es it needs with the right number of pins and the auxiliary molex on the motherboard.

You may just have defective card. If I were you I'd send it back and get a fresh one. Out of interest what card is it?

You do have all the correct power connectors in place I assume, how ever many PCI-Es it needs with the right number of pins and the auxiliary molex on the motherboard.

Just thought of that aswell, although, many cards send out a high pitched sound if they're not connected.

Still, it's worth checking.

Give it to me. I'll treat it with a proper overclock. :)

Seriously, though.

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers? Any overclock profiles running?

its not driver issue. if it was i'd at least get a startup screen, but there's no signal coming from it whatsoever. plus the fact that it runs with my old card pretty much confirms that none of the other hardware is at fault.

it was a brand new card.

It pretty much sounds like it's fried. It didn't smell at all electrically when it stopped working did it? As if something had actually blown.

My thinking is that moving it while being on was probably a bad idea. You do have all the correct power connectors in place I assume, how ever many PCI-Es it needs with the right number of pins and the auxiliary molex on the motherboard.

You may just have defective card. If I were you I'd send it back and get a fresh one. Out of interest what card is it?

nah, didnt smell like anything had burnt out, just that lovely fresh PC component smell :D however it was bloody hot, while thats to be expected i guess i wasnt expecting it to get quite that hot. especially when i hadnt run any game or video on it.

when i said moved it i meant that i pushed the assembled computer to it's original position on my desk. and yes, the fact that it WAS working perfectly suggests that yes i do have the correct power connectors. i've triple checked everything and i cant think of anything other than a faulty card. i just cant see why it would work fine and then just die all of a sudden.

i'll give them a ring tomorrow and see if i can get a replacement card. it was a galaxy 9600GT LPLP btw :)

might sound dumb, but have you tried wiggling and pushing the cable that leaves the card to the monitor, Sometimes though they look like there in place they can be loose( are the boolts tightend all the way up).

next i would try it in a different pci slot

and finally have you checked its not set to a resolution not supported by your monitor? it may have auto detected a false res.

if it lights up and the fan spins without making a terrible nouse then i doubt its fried. Especially as it happend when you where sliding your pc back.

i ended up getting the card replaced (it was indeed dead) and fitted the new one, which worked flawlessly yesterday and today until i went to turn on my PC after work tonight and it wasnt sending out a signal. the PC hadnt even been touched, in the 3 hours i was at work it decided not to work.

am i just incredibly unlucky or could something be causing this?

i ended up getting the card replaced (it was indeed dead) and fitted the new one, which worked flawlessly yesterday and today until i went to turn on my PC after work tonight and it wasnt sending out a signal. the PC hadnt even been touched, in the 3 hours i was at work it decided not to work.

am i just incredibly unlucky or could something be causing this?

There could be something wrong with the PSU or motherboard, but if that were the case your old card would have been fried too.

Get a new one. If that one dies aswell bring the whole comp and see if they can help.

350W, the card's requited PSU.

I think that may be your problem. Do you know the make of it? 350w might be alright if it was a Silver Stone or a Corsair, but if it's a lesser quality manufacturer then it'll be over stressing the components and causing it to break stuff.Also if it's an old PSU it'll be providing too much ampage on the 5v rail and not enough on the 12v which is where modern systems need it(or is it the other way round?). Anyway, in a modern system the basic parts of the computer (cpu, motherboard, ram) will likely be needing nearly 350 to keep everything running smoothly.

Sorry for the lecture but could you shed a little more light on the powersupply? The minimum that the hardware manufacturers will be saying is most likely to have been taken with the lowest consuming processor and motherboard they could find.

So the next thing to send back would be the psu in my opinion.

If you have the option of a what to replace it with go for something atleast 400w from the likes of Silverpower, Silverstone, Enermax, Corsair, Akasa or FSP. There are a couple of others you'd be OK with but those are definitly all safe bets.

Even if has a *suitcase* PSU it wouldn't suddenly start breaking components.

If it wasn't putting out enough power the comp would simply lock up or reboot.

However, I must admit that 350W is a bit low, atleast get a quality 450W with atleast 20A on both 12v rails.

BTW, what card is it?

it was a galaxy 9600GT LPLP btw :)

I'm using an 8800gt I got for £40 totally by chance :) But anyway, I'm using a 530w Hiper Type-R and I have a quality motherboard, an Abit(RIP) AB9.

Could we have a more detailed list of your system specs? It might help us work out if there's a weak link in your system.

However, I must admit that 350W is a bit low

BTW, what card is it?

it's a low profile low power card as i said (LPLP)

if the PSU was too low (which it shouldnt be) it would surely just end up running the card on low power and even if that is the issue how come it lasted 2 days of gaming without a problem?

anyway, ringing them today. i'll get them to take a look.

Archived