The Real Steel Discussion Thread

Fuser

Mod note: As usual, no discussion of terminal ballistics or things of that nature, please.

Just got a Brownell's Latigo sling and a Tim Skinner peep sight for my Marlin 39A. Both great additions. I'll try to get a picture or two tomorrow.

3637166352_feb12ed989_o.jpg

Waiting on a Peli 1720.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is it so long? SBR that!

Seriously...lovely gun man.

Thanks!

I once considered mounting a T1 on it, and then abruptly burned the idea. This is my "keep in storage until the day I teach my kid to shoot" simple, simple rifle.

Followed by a .45 when I turn 21

And eventually an ACR depending on income, state of residence, and political climate. <_<

Jag, not to ride a dead horse or anything but when you say slingshot the slide what exactly do you mean by that?

Do you mean an overhand grip pulling the slide back into your chest or do you mean the traditional slingshot, ie turning the ejection port towards the sky, grabbing the slide with your thumb and index finger and pulling back?

I sure hope its not the latter.

Clarify if you will.

Also, those lever actions are freakin AWESOME!

Hah, thanks. And yeah, the price is about 445 with shipping.

If fedex actually stays on schedule I'll have my SR-15 E3 IWS back next Wednesday (ugh, thanks KAC for shipping my gun back with the slowest method, but hey they fixed the gun for free). I'll install my modified ASAP, Triple Tap Brake, and FDE goodies. And drag the gun out to the range next weekend.

If I wanted to be scientific I'd borrow a force guage and go once with the A2 brake, and once with the TTB installed, and see how much felt reduction is caused by the new brake.

Just wondered if anyone knew the basic principle behind how muzzle breaks reduce recoil?

I'm guessing it something similar to silencers but instead of slowing down exhaust gases they allow them to run freely or something? Just a guess :P

A muzzle brake works be deflecting gasses out in a pattern that generates either downward or forward pull to counteract recoil/muzzle climb. A flashhider disperses gas out to minimize flash obviously.

For example my PWS FSC556 brake (aka the BBQ tool) shoots gas out the sides in an upward direction, this helps eliminate flash but also reduces muzzle climb.

The simple act of gas being focused out the barrel can add to recoil. KAC isn't explaining how their system works for obvious reasons, but my current theory is that by closing the end of the flashhider you create a backblast that shoots out the thin vents causing forward movement, which helps recoil and muzzle climb. The thin slots in the front help eliminate an overpressure that could cause the blast chamber to explode.

Archived