The Real Steel Discussion Thread

Fuser

Most home intruder shootings only last about 2-3 rounds.

In other news, my 2nd Form 1 was approved yesterday. So I'll probably have the paperwork in hand early next week.

And my AAC M4-2000 ships back on monday. kick *albatross*. Things.are.falling.in.to.place!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take note:

Apparently it took about 17 minutes for the cops to show up.

To get to a crime scene where two people were murdered and the third victim got into a gun fight with the invaders.

And there was nothing keeping the invaders from breaking in again!

Morals:

-Keep guns. A handgun worked in this situation, but a rifle or a shotgun would have been better.

-Don't rely on the cops. They will help when they get there, but you're responsible for keeping yourself alive until they do!

-Keep loaded ammo on hand. It sounds like about a magazine worth of ammunition was fired in the gun fight... that magazine could have malfunctioned and if the bastards had come back, she would have definitely wanted another magazine or two.

And one more:

-Don't be in a relationship with someone who is involved in the sale of narcotics

This family was targeted in hopes of finding drugs and money in the house

That said, at least this is serving to open some eyes and get people thinking about what they can do better to protect themselves and their families... One thing I hope everyone (regardless of if they live here or in a country with stricter laws) is to have a well stocked trauma kit and the skills to use

The police/EMS/FF will do everything they can to help you, but as stated you are on your own until they get there... This is not only about a home invasion but also simple accidents around the house

There is nothing worse than having a loved one hurt and not being able to do anything for them until help arrives

Although stuff like this is sometimes hard to listen to/watch it does serve a purpose... There are a couple videos that were shown in the academy and later at MP school that really get your attention

Everytime I approach a car I think back to the Trooper Coats video... More recently I was sent a video at work where two officers are interviewing someone in a store and another suspect walks up and shoots both of them down before walking up and shooting them execution style before leaving

And one more:

That said, at least this is serving to open some eyes and get people thinking about what they can do better to protect themselves and their families... One thing I hope everyone (regardless of if they live here or in a country with stricter laws) is to have a well stocked trauma kit and the skills to use

This is true. I've recently started to put together one in the event of a disaster (tornado / floods / etc.), just incase. The over the shelf first aid kits are a joke. They are glorified bandaid boxes. Educate yourself and find out what you actually need, and stock it well. I even take a well stocked one with me to skirmishes as people have broken bones, and gotten some serious cuts at out local field, and I find that the first aid kit they have is pretty poor.

I've been lucky to have a chance to take some great survival classes some years back, and learned a lot about dealing with various types of trauma. While the info I have is probably a bit dated... it's better than nothing.

The thing that gets me about this situation, is that the perps were posing as law enforcement. Sure having a gun would be great, but if you think that the guys are cops until they start shooting, your in a very bad situation.

I mean unless you guys open fire on police...

Always ask for badges, BEFORE you let any cops in (if you want to let them in, if your the type who wants a warrant before allowing police into the home thats your choice).

Where exactly did this family (criminal or not) live? I mean it sure seems like that was a slow response, at least to me. I know in my prior experiences LE has responded quickly to calls. I guess thats the joy of living in the inner city, and having well trained police.

Reports say they were out in the middle of BFE

One more thing... If police are showing up at your door with black facepaint on there is something up haha

On a more serious note, if a plain clothes officer shows up at your door there is nothing wrong with asking to see credentials before letting them in... Credentials as in a photo ID not just a badge (Most police impersonators won't go to the trouble of making one)

ETA: As for FAK's... As stated above the generic WalMart boo boo kit is not going to cut it

You need something to control serious bleeding, blocked airway and tension pneumothorax... If you can handle those then you are way ahead of the game

I'm pleased to report that I have a fully stock trauma kit. Overkill for hunting, which is what I got it for, but it ought to work well for HD, too. Apparently the company that makes the things has started selling them with Quik-Clot in them, now. Of course, my roommate has access to better clotting agents, so....

Most home intruder shootings only last about 2-3 rounds.

And most homes are never broken into.

Just because the poop just hit the paddle doesn't mean that more poop won't hit the paddle more quickly immediately afterward.

In other news: Got my RCS mag pouches (so I can now carry more 9mm ammo than I have) and E2D carrier. Finding a place for the light carrier is the most awkward part. Anyone have any suggestions on placement? (Pistol is at 3:30, mags are at 8:30.)

My kit rides on my RAID, so it goes from the bedroom, to the car, to work and back.... Never too far away and it has come in handy on several occasions

As for carrying the light, best of luck man... I am finding that I am lugging more ###### around now than when I was on patrol haha

Pistol, spare mag, light, two phones on my belt at all times... Another mag and a pair of cuffs depending on what is going on that day

I am actually starting to contemplate picking up one of the E series lights so I can just clip it in a pocket

Thought so

As much as I like RCS gear really their mag and light pouches seem to be bit larger than they need to be... I run Comptac mag pouches and a Ready Tactical for my light

Trying to fit both phones, a mag and a light all on one side of my belt makes me search for every bit of usable space

I scrapped the idea of building a SBR FAL... In my area there is simply no reason for it

The ranges are fairly short and I really don't want to fork out the extra loot for an extended range session with 7.62

That said, touching off a 7.62 out of a 10" barreled FAL promised to be all kinds of fun haha

Wayne,

RCS pouches are as large as they are because they're as low profile as they are. Slim and long and sleek is the only way those pouches could be made with any degree of durability.

I do agree with you though man, they are pretty darned big.

I don't mind it so much. Of course, I also don't have much on my belt, just a Glock 34 (with SF X200) and two spare mags. And pockets carry my cell and folding knife. I'm finding that the position that I have the RCS E2D carrier in is a bit awkward for CC (and the only places that I can think of that would make it better for carry would make it worse for reloading). So I think I'll go back to what I was doing when I first got it: Clip it to one of my belt loops.

In any case, I'm seriously thinking about getting a DSArms SA58 "Spartan" with an 18" barrel and running 110-grain Hornady TAP FPD. If I move into a house, I'll swap out the 110-grainers for either 155-grain TAP-LE or 165-grain NABs or 180-grain NETs. The biggest sticking point is where I would mount a light without it effecting barrel harmonics or going to the big, clunky rail units.

I have been running one of their Phantom LC rigs almost daily for the last year and agree that the way they manufacture their stuff makes it exceptionally close hugging

And if there was a way of running one of their mag and light pouches connected with the Eclipse hardware and still leave room for my personal Blackberry Curve and the work Blackberry "Brick" then I would be all about it... But even though my current position has me slowly turning into a lard *albatross* I simply don't have that much room to work with haha

Not at all a knock on Raven though... Other than when carrying openly it is the only holster I would want to use

Why spend 50 bucks on a plastic action block when you can spend 5 minutes and make one for free that does the job just as well.

Cheap_01.jpg

Cheap_02.jpg

I needed one for this coming wednesday so I can swap out the castle nut on my SR-15 for installing that modded Magpul ASAP plate.

Always ask for badges, BEFORE you let any cops in (if you want to let them in, if your the type who wants a warrant before allowing police into the home thats your choice).

Where exactly did this family (criminal or not) live? I mean it sure seems like that was a slow response, at least to me. I know in my prior experiences LE has responded quickly to calls. I guess thats the joy of living in the inner city, and having well trained police.

it occured somewhere in arizona, it was suspected that the people were linked to "minute man" group

Archived