Classic Army HK 416 Carbine (Sportline)

(Before going on to the review, I would like to mention that there must be some mistakes and / or things that I haven't add to, so feel free to tell me, so that I can edit the review before posting it on the Review Database section, thank you!)

Content

Real Steel Informations

Introduction

First Impression

Closer Look

Performance

Conclusion

Real Steel Informations

Here's some infos from Modern Firearms:

Following the revision of the OICW Block 1 / XM8 program, the Heckler & Koch company decided to enter the US military and law enforcement markets with the alternative design, which, in fact, looks quite promising. Based on the experience, gained during successful upgrade program of the British SA80 / L85A1 program, HK decided to cure the existing M16 rifles and M4 carbines from most of their problems, inherent to this 40-years old design. The key improvements, made by HK, are their patented short-stroke gas piston system, borrowed from HK G36 rifle. This system replaced the direct gas system of standard M16 rifle, so no powder residue will remain in the receiver even after long shooting sessions. The "new" gas system also is self-regulating and will work reliably with any barrel length. Other improvements include new buffer assembly, improved bolt, and a cold hammer forged barrel, as well as free-floating handguard with integral Picatinny-type rails. Originally developed as a "drop-in" upper receiver assembly for any standard M16/M4 type lower receiver, HK416 is also available as a complete weapon, with HK-made lower receivers. Current (late 2005) models include carbines with 10.5" and 14.5" barrels, and 16.5" barreled carbine and 20" barreled rifle will be added later.

Another interesting development, which is apparently based on the upscaled HK416 design, is the HK417 - the 7.62x51NATO rifle that combines AR-15/M16 type ergonomics, layout and handling with improved reliability of HK-made and designed gas piston system. This rifle probably will use HK G3-type magazines. If the rumors about HK417 are true, the 5.56mm HK416 / 7.62mm HK417 combination will be a direct rival to the newest FN SCAR system.

HK416 is a gas operated, selective fired weapon of modular design. It uses short-stroke gas piston that operates the 7-lug rotating bolt. Receiver is made from high grade aluminium alloy. Combination-type safety / fire selector allows for single shots and full automatic mode. Hk416 retains all M16-style controls, including last round bolt hold-open device, rear-based charging handle and magazine release button on the right side of the magazine well. HK416 is fitted with four Picatinny rails as standard, and may accept any type of sighting devices on STANAG-1913 compliant mounts. It also can accept modified HK AG36/AG-C 40mm grenade launcher, which is clamped directly to bottom rail. Buttstock is of typical M4 design, multi-position telescoped.

Edited by The S.C.A.R.

Introduction

After using my D-boys M4A1 for nearly three years, and seeing that there are a lot more accesories available for Armarlites, I decided not to equip my M4A1 with a new crane stock (plus a new battery) and an R.I.S. system, but rather to buy a new R.I.S. equipped Armarlite.

Being an Armarlite fan myself, I considered the M4 SOCOM from Tokyo Marui, but when I saw a cheaper alternative from Classic Army, the HK 416, I quickly changed my mind and ordered it.

First Impressions

The box was the standard CA Sportline boxes, with the same black colour on the cover, but this time the gun's drawing was simply a line drawing, and on the bottom of the cover there are several notes "9.6v Large Type Battery can be used", "Metal Flip-up font Sight", "New Design Hand Grip", "M15 Special Crane Stock", "300 Rounds Magazine", "Flexible Cocking Lever" and "Metal Flash Hider". On the top of the cover are the CA's special Hop-up system logo (the design probably borrowed from TM's hop-up logo) and CA's logo. Conveniently, the box also sports a plastic arrying handle, simplifying the process of taking the box around.

Inside the box, it shares the same slightly-cheap cardboard base, providing cut-outs for the gun, one magazine, a battery, a charger, and some more for other accesories such as goggles, and a pack of BBs. I bought the normal version, so what this gun comes with is just a pack of BBs, a cleaning rod, a magazine and the gun.

Like all CA sportlines, the first thing you notice about the gun is it's weight. Comparing with my M4 from D-boys, it weights much lighter, although not as light as CA's previous Sportline MP5s and Armarlites.

The gun certainly looks good, with the matt black finish on the entire gun, with only the crane stock's color being slightly lighter. The handgrip is the standard 416 type. It's very comfortable, although like all CA Sportlines, there are visible seams lines on them (and much less noticeable, on the crane stock).

The most important 'item' on this gun (and probably what this gun attracts the most to airsofters) is the R.I.S. system replacing the standard handguard seen on prototype HK 416s (from HKPRO) and the M4A1. It it sturdy, with no movements on between the receiver and the R.I.S., but like all Sportlines, the R.I.S. is made out of ABS plastic, so I would not fit many accesories on the R.I.S. to prevent that part from breaking.

The receivers are of the same colour. The selector switch is quite snappy, and that's good, bercause you would know what type of modes you're firing easily. "Safe" is clearly indicated by a white bullet with a cross on it, "Semi" by one red bullet, "Auto" by one red bullet with the number "30" to the left of the bullet. I suspect the trademarks on this gun could be easily wiped off, because unlike TM, VFC, ICS, CA decided to just "paint" the trademarks on the gun instead of laser engraving them.

Edited by The S.C.A.R.
Closer Look

Externals

The outer barrel is the same as the normal version, but unlike CA’s M15 sportline series before, it’s a barrel. There are no barrel wobbles whatsoever.

Most airsofters think that the biggest selling point of the HK 416 is the R.I.S.. The R.I.S., unfortunately, is made out of ABS plastic, which means that you can’t fit accessories such as grenade launchers and barrel-mounted shotguns, but it helps the overall weight of the gun to be lighter, which means better maneuverability.

The receivers deserve a good looking at. It’s colors are the same (I don’t know why many Chinese MPEG manufacturers can’t keep the receivers the same color), the casting of the matt-black receiver is also very good. The selector switch snaps into place efficiently with no problems. The hop-up and the fake bolt is revealed once the charging handle is pulled back - kudos for CA for the hop-up being a metal one-piece unit.

The magazine supplied by Yick Fung (CA as the company’s SM) is a 300-round hi-cap magazine. It fits into the magwell tightly, with just slight wobbles detectable, which isn’t a big issue. The pistol grip is very comfortable, but like many Chinese AEGs there are seam marks visible.

Markings on the gun are few, none being really realistic or accurate. On the L.H.S. of the receiver are the markings “416 D” and “Cal. 5.56mmx45”. There is also a serial number to the right of the bolt catch. On the R.H.S. of the receiver, the marking “Classic Army” could be seen to the left of the magazine release catch. The selector switches (on both R.H.S. and L.H.S.) are marked as well.

The stock is the standard M15 crane stock. That’s where CA fell as well. The stock is very comfortable, and it works really well. Unfortunately, the battery-installation process of this gun is a pain. It’s very hard to put a battery into the stock. The internals of the stock has sections for three parts of the battery to be installed. These compartments, are separated by “walls” with sharp edges, so it needs to be filed down in order to prevent the battery from being cut.

The sights are the H&K flip-up front sight and the normal H&K drum sight on the rear. These sights are very easy to use, and they are all very user-friendly, like all H&K guns.

Internals

Disassembling the gun is the same as the procedure of an M4A1 (excluding the handguard), by just popping the pins fore and aft on the receiver, both receivers can then slide away from one another.

To remove the gearbox from the lower receiver, first remove the bottom plate of the pistol grip, and take the motor out. Then un-screw the two screws at the bottom of the pistol grip, and remove the pistol grip carefully. Then take the stock out from the tube, and then unscrew the butt stock as well. You may need a flashlight as well to unscrew the stock tube from the receiver. You can then return to the lower receiver, and remove the magazine catch simply by un-screwing the screw in the middle of the button. Take the catch out along with the spring. The last step is to pivot the pin out on the left side of the receiver ONLY. By now, with a little force, the gearbox can be taken out from the receiver.

Inside the gearbox, we have the same type of internals as a normal Sportline. There is an anodized aluminium cylinder, plastic non-bearing spring guide and piston head, a plastic piston and 7mm plastic bushings. It’s basic, but effective. The gears are the “Classic Army” branded cast zinc/aluminium gears. The wiring are slightly thinner than the normal CA Sportlines, but are still quite durable. The gearbox, however, still has the tell-tale shiny exterior on the vast majority of cheaper AEGs. The motor is a better unit than the old ones. The gun now shoots a lot faster comparing to the older Sportline models.

The hop-up system is a one-piece unit directly copied from TM, and adjusts via a wheel located right beneath the fake bolt. Due to the bolt not being able to be locked, the adjusting of the hop-up might be quite fiddly, but once adjusted it stays there with no creeping.

Overall, this gun is very good. With the stock being the only problem on this gun (or probably the plastic internals in the gearbox), there are not anything else that needs particular attention.

Performance

Accuracy

The accuracy of the gun is quite good. The effective range, without adjusting the hop-up, is about 100 feet, while the effective range of the gun after adjusting the hop-up is about 160-180 feet, which is pretty standard for a 1J carbine with a relatively short barrel length. A six-shot group went in a 108 mm diameter from a range of 75 feet away, which is quite good.

[/size]

Power test

Because I don’t have a chrono, I can only conduct the test simply by using a coke can. In the test using KSC 0.2g BBs, the gun pierced clean through the can in just one shot and caused a dent on the centre of the bottom of the can, which is about 1J, quite standard for an AEG.

Velocity test

The velocity of the gun is quite good. Using a CA 3000 mAh 9.6v battery, the rate of fire comes at 1080 rounds/minute. This rate of fire is achieved because of the new Sportline motor that replaced the cheaper older ones.

Overall

Overall this gun’s performance is quite considerable for its price. The gun’s power could be increased, but many internal parts must be changed in order not to break any of the stock internals. The gun really gives its owner a decent amount of bang for the buck.

Conclusion

Being an affordable AEG, this can be the better alternative to the Chinese AEGs. If anyone wants a low-cost AEG, for either a “back-up” or a primary gun, this gun would serve you admirably.

The stock might be a bit of a problem for this gun, but a cheap replacement by G&P , King Arms e.t.c. can quickly solve this problem. The gearbox internals could also be replaced with Classic Army’s own reinforced parts, which are quite easy to find (if not too cheap). You can even modify this gun into your dream gun.

Despite there are no cutting edge technology on it, this gun certainly worth it’s price, and I would recommend everyone to try this out.

(Photos would be added on when the revieew is posted in the review database section)

Its in the review section now buddy, how about a pic of that plastic RIS?

Nah, I wanna post it on the Review Database. I post it here because I think I can get some help from you guys to correct some mistakes or give some suggestions. Anyway a pic of the plastic RIS would be on soon (I'm still being too busy at the meantime).

• 2 weeks later...

Content

Real Steel Informations

Introduction

First Impression

Closer Look

Performance

Conclusion

Real Steel Informations

Here's some infos from Modern Firearms:

Following the revision of the OICW Block 1 / XM8 program, the Heckler & Koch company decided to enter the US military and law enforcement markets with the alternative design, which, in fact, looks quite promising. Based on the experience, gained during successful upgrade program of the British SA80 / L85A1 program, HK decided to cure the existing M16 rifles and M4 carbines from most of their problems, inherent to this 40-years old design. The key improvements, made by HK, are their patented short-stroke gas piston system, borrowed from HK G36 rifle. This system replaced the direct gas system of standard M16 rifle, so no powder residue will remain in the receiver even after long shooting sessions. The "new" gas system also is self-regulating and will work reliably with any barrel length. Other improvements include new buffer assembly, improved bolt, and a cold hammer forged barrel, as well as free-floating handguard with integral Picatinny-type rails. Originally developed as a "drop-in" upper receiver assembly for any standard M16/M4 type lower receiver, HK416 is also available as a complete weapon, with HK-made lower receivers. Current (late 2005) models include carbines with 10.5" and 14.5" barrels, and 16.5" barreled carbine and 20" barreled rifle will be added later.

Another interesting development, which is apparently based on the upscaled HK416 design, is the HK417 - the 7.62x51NATO rifle that combines AR-15/M16 type ergonomics, layout and handling with improved reliability of HK-made and designed gas piston system. This rifle probably will use HK G3-type magazines. If the rumors about HK417 are true, the 5.56mm HK416 / 7.62mm HK417 combination will be a direct rival to the newest FN SCAR system.

HK416 is a gas operated, selective fired weapon of modular design. It uses short-stroke gas piston that operates the 7-lug rotating bolt. Receiver is made from high grade aluminium alloy. Combination-type safety / fire selector allows for single shots and full automatic mode. Hk416 retains all M16-style controls, including last round bolt hold-open device, rear-based charging handle and magazine release button on the right side of the magazine well. HK416 is fitted with four Picatinny rails as standard, and may accept any type of sighting devices on STANAG-1913 compliant mounts. It also can accept modified HK AG36/AG-C 40mm grenade launcher, which is clamped directly to bottom rail. Buttstock is of typical M4 design, multi-position telescoped.

Introduction

After using my D-boys M4A1 for nearly three years, and seeing that there are a lot more accesories available for Armarlites, I decided not to equip my M4A1 with a new crane stock (plus a new battery) and an R.I.S. system, but rather to buy a new R.I.S. equipped Armarlite.

[/size]

Being an Armarlite fan myself, I considered the M4 SOCOM from Tokyo Marui, but when I saw a cheaper alternative from Classic Army, the HK 416, I quickly changed my mind and ordered it.

First Impressions

The box was the standard CA Sportline boxes, with the same black colour on the cover, but this time the gun's drawing was simply a line drawing, and on the bottom of the cover there are several notes "9.6v Large Type Battery can be used", "Metal Flip-up font Sight", "New Design Hand Grip", "M15 Special Crane Stock", "300 Rounds Magazine", "Flexible Cocking Lever" and "Metal Flash Hider". On the top of the cover are the CA's special Hop-up system logo (the design probably borrowed from TM's hop-up logo) and CA's logo. Conveniently, the box also sports a plastic arrying handle, simplifying the process of taking the box around.

Inside the box, it shares the same slightly-cheap cardboard base, providing cut-outs for the gun, one magazine, a battery, a charger, and some more for other accesories such as goggles, and a pack of BBs. I bought the normal version, so what this gun comes with is just a pack of BBs, a cleaning rod, a magazine and the gun.

Like all CA sportlines, the first thing you notice about the gun is it's weight. Comparing with my M4 from D-boys, it weights much lighter, although not as light as CA's previous Sportline MP5s and Armarlites.

The gun certainly looks good, with the matt black finish on the entire gun, with only the crane stock's color being slightly lighter. The handgrip is the standard 416 type. It's very comfortable, although like all CA Sportlines, there are visible seams lines on them (and much less noticeable, on the crane stock).

The most important 'item' on this gun (and probably what this gun attracts the most to airsofters) is the R.I.S. system replacing the standard handguard seen on prototype HK 416s (from HKPRO) and the M4A1. It it sturdy, with no movements on between the receiver and the R.I.S., but like all Sportlines, the R.I.S. is made out of ABS plastic, so I would not fit many accesories on the R.I.S. to prevent that part from breaking.

The receivers are of the same colour. The selector switch is quite snappy, and that's good, bercause you would know what type of modes you're firing easily. "Safe" is clearly indicated by a white bullet with a cross on it, "Semi" by one red bullet, "Auto" by one red bullet with the number "30" to the left of the bullet. I suspect the trademarks on this gun could be easily wiped off, because unlike TM, VFC, ICS, CA decided to just "paint" the trademarks on the gun instead of laser engraving them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Out of interest, what parts will you be upgrading?

Any internal parts that are plastic would be upgraded to reinforced ones, as well as a Systema hop-up unit and a Prometheus 6.03mm (363mm) inner barrel.

And to Deltacor, I got it straight from CA shop in Kowloon. From what I remember, UN Co. and AEX are stocking them as well.

Edited by The S.C.A.R.
Any internal parts that are plastic would be upgraded to reinforced ones, as well as a Systema hop-up unit and a Prometheus 6.03mm (363mm) inner barrel.

And to Deltacor, I got it straight from CA shop in Kowloon. From what I remember, UN Co. and AEX are stocking them as well.

Ah I see, internals rather than cosmetic things.

Ah I see, internals rather than cosmetic things.

I would also be adding some cosmetic things on it as well. Right now I have a replica ACOG scope (red dot) on the gun, as well as a forward grip. I am considering installing an AG 36 on the 416 as well, but only after I have switched the plastic R.A.S. to a metal R.A.S. would I really consider it (I'm afraid the plastic R.A.S. may crack because of the AG 36's weight)

• 2 years later...

S.C.A.R. I'm returning to Hong Kong in the summer and am looking at purchasing this gun. My heavily modified G36 serves me well and all, but I've always wanted an AR-15 variant.

However,something that bugs me when it comes to purchasing AR-15 variants is that one would expect that there would be many spare parts readily available for them. So this begs the question:

Are there any replacement Rail systems for the 416 made by Classic Army or any other company that aren't plastic? I've looked around the last time I was in HK (that was around March-ish) and I haven't seen many stores that carry them (UN Co., Shooters Gear and Cop9 used to have them but that was before, I don't suppose DenTrin would have them if they existed but it would be over-priced... As learned from previous experiences).

Anyway, I enjoyed reading the review, hopefully we'll meet each other at an open game someday...

Are there any replacement Rail systems for the 416 made by Classic Army or any other company that aren't plastic?

You can get the DX version..I have it and the gun is full metal :P

What I didn't like about it though was the wiring used was ######. Surprisingly for the DX version the AOE and shimming was done quite well; don't remember about the motor height though.

Honestly if you're willing to spend the money to get the DX version I suggest you save up and wait for the new VFC HK416 instead. Otherwise get the sportline one :)

This is true for every CA AEG I've seen. Even the cheapest ACM gun has better wiring than that.

Yup, even their NiMh battery had ###### wiring. It's really thanks to CA (the 416 was my first AEG) that made me browse through countless forums on tech :P I nearly changed everything inside the gun before it dawned on me that the wiring was ###### and that the rest of the internals were pretty much okay as a stock gun :P

Oh yeah, the DX version is also an electric blowback gun, so the piston pulls the bolt cover when it moves. It's ###### and I suggest disabling it if anyone's willing to get the gun. The extra stress of the moving bolt isn't much so it's not a big deal and won't accelerate the wear of the piston (if it did it'll be slight) but having the piston at a position other than it's rest position (like after a full auto burst) will leave the bolt cover pulled halfway and it's annoying; though I suppose it can also be used as an indicator for whether your piston's at the rest position so that you don't pre-compress the spring.

All in all I don't suggest buying Classic Army because they are still ACM and have proprietary parts (like their gearboxes and gears having slightly different dimensions from the TM standard). The price is not particularly good either considering for some models there are better ACM alternatives. Probably buy CA only if they've got a model that others don't (like the LWRC rifles.....damn CA make a M6A2 and I'll buy it in a heartbeat and change the internals to something better :P).

The JG 416's are starting to trickle back into HK retailers, pick one those up instead.

Problem is the rail is wrong, doesn't 'sit' into the upper receiver unless they've changed their design. Also from what I've read on the first batches of 416s (again, not sure if they've changed anything) the rails are really sharp.

The only 'good' 416 right now is the VFC (or the DBoys copy; seems like the newer batches without the trademarks have a darker receiver that matches the rail colour now, none of that funky grey receiver with a black rail) and the 'best' replica is coming out with VFC redesigning the gearbox to allow for the H&K grip angle plus the H&K stock.

Honestly if you want a cheap 416 grab a DBoys and so be it. The CA and JG doesn't have the correct trades anyway and DBoys come with no trades now. If it's that important to you (the trades) then the blank receiver of the DBoy's great since you just need to get the trades lasered and find a way to colour some of the trades red (like the semi and full selector logo if I remember correctly.

Only crappy thing about the current 416s out in the market today (AEGs) is that they lack the ambi selector and the iron sights are poo; even the VFC one IIRC, the aperture holes on the rear site are the same. The front sight of the VFC is nice though, being that it's two-piece (the aiming post piece is not part of the overall body of the front sight) whereas the ACM copies and CA's front sights are one-piece.

I got one of these as my first gun what must be 3 years ago now. The plastic body was ideal for me (very light) but the quality wasn't overly fantastic.

My gearbox lasted between 50000-60000 rounds before the fps dropped suddenly to ~220 fps. The range on mine was also pretty good (stock) and still is.

It's currently broken but has since had the piston, bushings and gears changed out (spring too, apparently the stock one was "broken" according to the shop I had it dropped into, they gave me a free spring and gears so hey).

I'm planning a bit of a revival for the gun seen as it was my first and all. Gonna redo the wiring, SHS 16:1 gearset. Any reccomendations for what to change out (other than barrel, hop up)?

I got one of these as my first gun what must be 3 years ago now. The plastic body was ideal for me (very light) but the quality wasn't overly fantastic.

My gearbox lasted between 50000-60000 rounds before the fps dropped suddenly to ~220 fps. The range on mine was also pretty good (stock) and still is.

It's currently broken but has since had the piston, bushings and gears changed out (spring too, apparently the stock one was "broken" according to the shop I had it dropped into, they gave me a free spring and gears so hey).

I'm planning a bit of a revival for the gun seen as it was my first and all. Gonna redo the wiring, SHS 16:1 gearset. Any reccomendations for what to change out (other than barrel, hop up)?

I'm not entirely sure whether the differences in dimensions for the gearbox and gears on the CA compared to TM is significant enough but from what I've read on ASM it's generally not recommended to run TM spec gears in CA gearboxes. I don't want to recommend CA gears either so it's up to you to decide.

SHS's new gen2 stuff is ######; the bevel was redesigned such that it'll break very easily. I suggest that if you're going with non-CA gears then go with Lonex. They are slightly more expensive but no QC issues as far as I can tell.

Again, not sure if the piston have it's own dimensions that differ from TM too much to make it an issue but if not get a SHS piston (but not the 3 steel tooth one, those have design problems leading to the pickup tooth snapping easily, don't know if SHS ever fixed it). Piston head I'll go with Lonex POM if you need the piston assembly to be lightweight or if it's cheap enough the SHS red piston. I like those because it's got a flat face making AOE adjustments much easier (just shove faucet washers or sorbo into the cylinder head and glue it down).

Spring-wise I think it's been cited that the Modify springs are good, as they are made of piano-wire (from it's descriptions) so that even if they were slightly pre-compressed they'll be able to regain it's tension. I'm citing this off an ASM member's own experiences and I've never run a Modify spring before, so take it with a grain of salt.

Motor-wise an SHS/5KU/whatever neo magnet high torque motor would be good...they tend to require 11.1v lipos to make them run efficiently so add a FET to your setup too.