Classic Army HK 416 Carbine (Sportline)

Wow thank you intinerious, I wasn't aware that there were differences in the sizes of the CA and TM gearbox I thought it was just that their receivers were in compatible. So you're right on the gear decision, I'm not too keen on buying CA gears, it seems as though it would be better to leave it as is.

The quality of the body is quite poor so it's not really worth putting too much money into it if I have to stick with CA gears, luckily I have my 97B to use.

Thanks for all your recommendations but it seems as though this one has met it's end, I'll keep the upgrade parts in mind for future projects though.

Edited by richieffff

Wow thank you intinerious, I wasn't aware that there were differences in the sizes of the CA and TM gearbox I thought it was just that their receivers were in compatible. So you're right on the gear decision, I'm not too keen on buying CA gears, it seems as though it would be better to leave it as is.

The quality of the body is quite poor so it's not really worth putting too much money into it if I have to stick with CA gears, luckily I have my 97B to use.

Thanks for all your recommendations but it seems as though this one has met it's end, I'll keep the upgrade parts in mind for future projects though.

Lol, it's what I read on ASM which was said by a whole bunch of guys who were veterans on the board (back in the day where the vets on that forum were made up by a majority of really knowledgeable people) so I haven't actually taken my own CA gearbox and gears to check for differences between something TM spec.

The RECEIVER is compatible I think. I am running a G&P 7mm gearbox in my CA receiver and it works. Problem is there is a very very slight dimensional difference making the G&P gearbox screws too wide to fit in the receiver...I removed the rear screw near the grip area along with the one that sits below the rear receiver pin. The gearbox works fine without those missing screws, as long as you tighten everything else down.

Anyway, glad I helped :P

Sorry that I wasn't in ArniesAirsoft forums for a while, been busy for a year so I went of the hook for the time being back then. Anyways here's some updates on this gun.

S.C.A.R. I'm returning to Hong Kong in the summer and am looking at purchasing this gun. My heavily modified G36 serves me well and all, but I've always wanted an AR-15 variant.

However,something that bugs me when it comes to purchasing AR-15 variants is that one would expect that there would be many spare parts readily available for them. So this begs the question:

Are there any replacement Rail systems for the 416 made by Classic Army or any other company that aren't plastic? I've looked around the last time I was in HK (that was around March-ish) and I haven't seen many stores that carry them (UN Co., Shooters Gear and Cop9 used to have them but that was before, I don't suppose DenTrin would have them if they existed but it would be over-priced... As learned from previous experiences).

Anyway, I enjoyed reading the review, hopefully we'll meet each other at an open game someday...

No there isn't any 416-type rail systems so far, tho I heard that an ACM company is making one... I hope I can cya one day too :D

You can get the DX version..I have it and the gun is full metal :P

What I didn't like about it though was the wiring used was ######. Surprisingly for the DX version the AOE and shimming was done quite well; don't remember about the motor height though.

Honestly if you're willing to spend the money to get the DX version I suggest you save up and wait for the new VFC HK416 instead. Otherwise get the sportline one :)

The reason why I bought the Sportline version is because I wanted a cheap gun with RIS to test out all sorts of new equipments whenever I apply on them, besides the Sportline is cheap, I can put *albatross*-loads ( :D) of upgrades on the gun and its still cheaper than buying a VFC for rigging. The wiring is bad but so far Im okay with it as long as I'm running a 7.4v lipo.

I got one of these as my first gun what must be 3 years ago now. The plastic body was ideal for me (very light) but the quality wasn't overly fantastic.

My gearbox lasted between 50000-60000 rounds before the fps dropped suddenly to ~220 fps. The range on mine was also pretty good (stock) and still is.

It's currently broken but has since had the piston, bushings and gears changed out (spring too, apparently the stock one was "broken" according to the shop I had it dropped into, they gave me a free spring and gears so hey).

I'm planning a bit of a revival for the gun seen as it was my first and all. Gonna redo the wiring, SHS 16:1 gearset. Any reccomendations for what to change out (other than barrel, hop up)?

Well I got this 416 when it was first released, so same as yours :D . I suggest changing out the gearbox shell itself too. The Sportline gearbox would not last long. Either the CA reinforced ones or the G&P ones will do under a tight budget (I opted for a G&P one and like an earlier post I have to remove the rear screw near the grip area, just to make the gearbox fit. You should also change the motor as well, just opt for a higher quality, preferrably high torque one. I bought a Guarder high torque myself, so sweet to run this gun under a 7.4v lipo, though I won't be touching the 11.1v yet until I have swapped out my entire gearbox :)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have thoroughly modified my gun by now, and have used this gun for at least 10 airsoft games (3-4 games per year, all outdoors with the fair share of dusts and grubs :D), and so far this is what I have modified:

Internal

-KM TN 6.04mm tightbore inner barrel (363mm as I remember...)

-CA Reinforced piston and cylinder

-Guarder Gear set (normal ones cant exactly remember the model name)

-Systema hop-up bucking and nub, fitted to the standard CA hop-up unit

-Guarder Reinforced nozzle

-G&P V2 Gearbox

External:

-ACM Trijicon ACOG model TA01NSN (replica)

-ACM ANPEQ/15 replica

-CA foregrip

-Magpul magazine plate (original version, fitted under the King Arms 330rd Magpul PMAG replicas)

-Rail covers

-Painted with Tan and OD Green

Pics are coming up, took me two years to figure out how to put up pics in this forums, I'm such an idiot :(

Edited by The S.C.A.R.

Barrel:

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

R.I.S. + Foregrip

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

Receiver

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

Handgrip

IMG_1579.jpg

Buttstock:

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

As you can see there are many scratch marks and wear-and-tear, the paint is only applied months ago and these marks are gained after a field test and an airsoft event. More pics coming!!! Once there are enough pics they would all be added to the review in the database here:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/956/title/41628sportline-29/cat/16

[Edit]:

Some more pics, all of them from a field test on the Lantau Chateau, Sunset Peak, Hong Kong (???):

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

182347_3894126753039_360683725_n.jpg

179512_3894092232176_1111855473_n.jpg

576890_3894105712513_505949363_n.jpg

545384_3894117112798_873969141_n.jpg

Edited by The S.C.A.R.

Nice pics dude :P

Going slightly OT I'd suggest you to change the ACOG out to the VIsionKing scope that I reviewed, along with a Building Fire LaRue mount (which I also reviewed!) if you like to run magnified optics and also like the S&B Short Dot kinda look (pics are down sorry, guess I posted too many pics and exceeded my bandwidth :(). If your ACOG's the same as mine you only have an inch of eye relief and shoddy glass whereas the VisionKing (HKD 480 at Airsoft Global) has I think I wrote 12-14cm of eye relief, and the glass is REALLY REALLY nice. The mount is 208 HKD at Shooter as well, so you get a better glass, with variable magnification, with a better mount system than the ACOG locking nut type mount at a cheaper price than an ACOG with the Red Dot on top :P Only issue is the size of the optic...but hey, it's not too bad :P The lower LaRue mount might not clear the PEQ completely as LaRue made a 1.93" higher mount JUST for clearing the PEQ (and King Arms makes a clone of it) but I think it's the same as the ACOG; once you run it up to 4-5x it'll blur out the PEQ anyway, just like the front sight on my M16 (remember, the FSP is farther away from my optic than your ACOG to your PEQ, so it should make things worst). At 1.25x you'll see the PEQ but I THINK the dot should clear it too, so it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise run the PEQ on the side rails....I'm assuming you have the Pro&T one, so it has a functioning laser. I find it's only useful in CQB for 'suppressing' corners and covers from guys trying to rush you anyway, for outdoors if your optics are sighted in correctly the laser's more annoying than anything :D But, it's your call, just trying to offer you more alternatives. If you want to know more PM me :)

Back to the topic, if the OP still want to get a 416 rail I think ACM sites might have the DBOYS rail for sale. If not send them an email to ask, some shops might be able to get you one.

Nice pics dude :P

Going slightly OT I'd suggest you to change the ACOG out to the VIsionKing scope that I reviewed, along with a Building Fire LaRue mount (which I also reviewed!) if you like to run magnified optics and also like the S&B Short Dot kinda look (pics are down sorry, guess I posted too many pics and exceeded my bandwidth :(). If your ACOG's the same as mine you only have an inch of eye relief and shoddy glass whereas the VisionKing (HKD 480 at Airsoft Global) has I think I wrote 12-14cm of eye relief, and the glass is REALLY REALLY nice. The mount is 208 HKD at Shooter as well, so you get a better glass, with variable magnification, with a better mount system than the ACOG locking nut type mount at a cheaper price than an ACOG with the Red Dot on top :P Only issue is the size of the optic...but hey, it's not too bad :P The lower LaRue mount might not clear the PEQ completely as LaRue made a 1.93" higher mount JUST for clearing the PEQ (and King Arms makes a clone of it) but I think it's the same as the ACOG; once you run it up to 4-5x it'll blur out the PEQ anyway, just like the front sight on my M16 (remember, the FSP is farther away from my optic than your ACOG to your PEQ, so it should make things worst). At 1.25x you'll see the PEQ but I THINK the dot should clear it too, so it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise run the PEQ on the side rails....I'm assuming you have the Pro&T one, so it has a functioning laser. I find it's only useful in CQB for 'suppressing' corners and covers from guys trying to rush you anyway, for outdoors if your optics are sighted in correctly the laser's more annoying than anything :D But, it's your call, just trying to offer you more alternatives. If you want to know more PM me :)

Back to the topic, if the OP still want to get a 416 rail I think ACM sites might have the DBOYS rail for sale. If not send them an email to ask, some shops might be able to get you one.

Ahh well man I wish I could change the scope, but unfortunately I'm going overseas for studies by August and theres no way to change the scope for just a month's use :D I actually purposedly bought the replica TA01NSN just for a Special Force loadout (currently a Navy SEALs loadout with new boonie hat and new vest), since this model was reported to be standard issue ACOG for SOCOM...still enjoyed using this scope even though the eye relief is a bit short. I tend not to use scopes with red dot (if it's wrong let me know since I didn't know much about your scope, rather enjoyed using a scope with just marked crosshairs for target acquisition), and theres always the problem of running out of battery in the middle of the game :o ...kind of the reason why I hated using Aimpoints and rather ACOGs and sniper scopes (3-12x)

I doubt I would be playing airsoft in the States (quite expensive there) but probably I'll be playing it back in HK during Christmas and summer holidays.

Anyways no worries of going off topic (its a forum isn't it), but back to topic for a while, I'll be doing only some slight cosmetic changes for now, just to make this gun last in storage for months before Im back to using it. You probably saw the photos that the stock isn't the standard CA M15 crane stock (I hated it since this 416 is the earlier version, just sliding in a battery into the stock is a PITA), so I changed it to a second-handed DBOYS crane stock with the backstrap-removable, so that I can change the battery with ease :D. Though problem is that the backstrap soft cover had fallen off...

Edited by The S.C.A.R.

Ahh well man I wish I could change the scope, but unfortunately I'm going overseas for studies by August and theres no way to change the scope for just a month's use :D I actually purposedly bought the replica TA01NSN just for a Special Force loadout (currently a Navy SEALs loadout with new boonie hat and new vest), since this model was reported to be standard issue ACOG for SOCOM...still enjoyed using this scope even though the eye relief is a bit short. I tend not to use scopes with red dot (if it's wrong let me know since I didn't know much about your scope, rather enjoyed using a scope with just marked crosshairs for target acquisition), and theres always the problem of running out of battery in the middle of the game :o ...kind of the reason why I hated using Aimpoints and rather ACOGs and sniper scopes (3-12x)

I doubt I would be playing airsoft in the States (quite expensive there) but probably I'll be playing it back in HK during Christmas and summer holidays.

Anyways no worries of going off topic (its a forum isn't it), but back to topic for a while, I'll be doing only some slight cosmetic changes for now, just to make this gun last in storage for months before Im back to using it. You probably saw the photos that the stock isn't the standard CA M15 crane stock (I hated it since this 416 is the earlier version, just sliding in a battery into the stock is a PITA), so I changed it to a second-handed DBOYS crane stock with the backstrap-removable, so that I can change the battery with ease :D. Though problem is that the backstrap soft cover had fallen off...

The visionking has a reticule/crosshair (it's more like an EOTECH's 'crosshair'; doughnut with a dot in the middle, but it's etched to the glass) that can light up (very crisp illumination btw, on both RED and BLUE!) if you want it to :P Sorry about my pics being down, otherwise you can just read my review and see the pics (they should be up by the middle of July once my bandwidth is replenished). Yeah the ACOG TA01 is issued as standard for whatever armed forces (Yay another HKer that doesn't slap magpul all over his guns! My pet peeve are the kids...and some adults...that run around with gucci stuff and think they are tacticool ><; FUNCTION OVER FASHION, please! :P) Actually eye relief with an RS ACOG is ###### too from what I've read, especially the older models like the TA01 you're using :P From what I remember there's an inch of eye relief on the RS ones too, but those with experience with the real deal should correct me if I'm wrong :x

If you like reading essays (and who the hell doesn't...right guys?................guys, where are you going?) I wrote out my reasons why I suggest using variable optics for airsoft too, which is in italics. My main issue with the airsoft replicas is that they aren't durable at all. Since the scope that I reviewed and run basically takes the good from both the RDS and magnified optics and mush them into one, that's why I suggested the scope to you :P

Anyway enough of me typing, just wait till my pics come back online and read my review :P I think it covers your concerns with the scope, RDSs and fixed mag. optics as well :)

Back on topic, the HK416 crane stock that CA makes have those snap-in locking 'wedges' to lock the buttplate in place. The locks BREAK since the plastic CA uses is crappy. I'd suggest anyone with the crane stock to replace it with something else :P

Edited by intinerious

Thanks guys, and don't worry interious I have no reason to doubt you, but if I ever feel like throwing money at this gun I'll be sure to change the gearbox (minus a few screws it seems :P ) so I can use decent gears :D

Might as well throw up a pic from when it was in it's prime too. EDIT: So.Many.Cable.Ties.

KKVeq.jpg?1

sEVDB.jpg?1

0zeuA.jpg?1

MfpCy.jpg?1

Edited by richieffff

Thanks guys, and don't worry interious I have no reason to doubt you, but if I ever feel like throwing money at this gun I'll be sure to change the gearbox (minus a few screws it seems :P ) so I can use decent gears :D

Might as well throw up a pic from when it was in it's prime too. EDIT: So.Many.Cable.Ties.

KKVeq.jpg?1

sEVDB.jpg?1

0zeuA.jpg?1

MfpCy.jpg?1

Dude this looks smexy!!! Nice job on making ur gun look nice. Standard barebones 416 looks fugly IMO :D

There's every reason for you to doubt me since I never posted actual pictures of how off-spec the CA gearboxes (and anything inside it) are. I'm just regurgitating what I've read through my many months of lurking in airsoft forums XD

Nice 416 btw :P

Standard barebones 416 looks fugly IMO :D

What really!? I like the standard barehones 416! :P With the top rail being higher on the 416 aesthetically it makes it very hard for me to figure out what kinda optic I want to put on :P I still like the 416 barebones with nothing on the rails except the irons (okay maybe a SF large weaponlight like the M961/M951 :P), HK foregrip and a B&T RotexIII suppressor :P Or remove the peripherals except the BUIS, and add a M320 GL onto it :D

There's every reason for you to doubt me since I never posted actual pictures of how off-spec the CA gearboxes (and anything inside it) are. I'm just regurgitating what I've read through my many months of lurking in airsoft forums XD

Nice 416 btw :P

Ah it's just CA is the kind of company that strikes me as the one that would do something like this :P And thank you

Dude this looks smexy!!! Nice job on making ur gun look nice. Standard barebones 416 looks fugly IMO :D

Hehe thanks :D I actually like the look of it bare, well I like the long barrelled one with the proper stock.