I spent some time shooting it with .2g bbs and comparing it to my CA8-2 with pommy 6.03 using the same battery. The SVD shoots further and at times more accurately. The problem is, the precision barrel makes the CA8 more consistent.

That's an "interesting" conclusion, unless you swapped the two barrels and used the same BB, same bucking, bucking sleeve, same fps output and variation. Without these it's hard to say what makes your CA8 more consistent. ;)

Anyway, my SVD is having a problem out-of-box. It produces negative hopup effect (slamming BBs to the ground at 30-35m). Hopup rubber looks fine, adjustment is working, groups are very consistent, barrel is clean, used two different BBs... Anyone else experienced this? (Serial no. 1100)

Since I had to disassemble the rifle, I checked how the outer barrel is fixed to receiver. It's better than the Atoz SVD, but I think it's still weak - two miniature screws hold a long and heavy barrel in place. There is no aligning nut/shoulder to eliminate rotational play or misalignment when the outer barrel is reinstalled.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an "interesting" conclusion, unless you swapped the two barrels and used the same BB, same bucking, bucking sleeve, same fps output and variation. Without these it's hard to say what makes your CA8 more consistent. ;)

Anyway, my SVD is having a problem out-of-box. It produces negative hopup effect (slamming BBs to the ground at 30-35m). Hopup rubber looks fine, adjustment is working, groups are very consistent, barrel is clean, used two different BBs... Anyone else experienced this? (Serial no. 1100)

Since I had to disassemble the rifle, I checked how the outer barrel is fixed to receiver. It's better than the Atoz SVD, but I think it's still weak - two miniature screws hold a long and heavy barrel in place. There is no aligning nut/shoulder to eliminate rotational play or misalignment when the outer barrel is reinstalled.

Same bucking, sleeve, bbs, and battery... but I understand your point. I even tried to get an inner diameter measurement on the SVDs barrel but none of my tools were sensitive enough (always got 6.00mm). The barrel is good, nevertheless it just does not feel as consistent as something 'precision'. The awesome thing is that it shoots further and often times more accurately than my well upgraded CA8 which speaks for its potential.

I had no negative hop effect at all. That dial is very sensitive so perhaps you haven't turned it off all the way (I know, its unlikely but its worth a try). The front end is held down by two hex screws under the front sight that go into groves (Serial no. 1238). The inner barrel is held separately inside of it by two screws on the sides and is aligned by means of a nub in the gearbox. Its not the very best, but its not that bad either. If you don't tighten those screws hard your whole front end comes off :/

The barrel is good, nevertheless it just does not feel as consistent as something 'precision'.

One thing I noticed looking down the bore... There is no mirror polish like in my steel Laylax VSR barrel.

Yes the hopup has really wide adjustability. I checked everything, testing again tomorrow morning.

BTW, what's the point of the spring around the inner barrel when the hopup chamber is fixed to the outer barrel?

Same bucking, sleeve, bbs, and battery... but I understand your point. I even tried to get an inner diameter measurement on the SVDs barrel but none of my tools were sensitive enough (always got 6.00mm). The barrel is good, nevertheless it just does not feel as consistent as something 'precision'. The awesome thing is that it shoots further and often times more accurately than my well upgraded CA8 which speaks for its potential.

Yes that is exactly how I felt about the RS SVD. It was rock solid, but it didn't feel like a precision weapon, more a mass manufactured long barrelled assault rifle. I had used the RS PSO1 scope and you could see rounds curving left and right at range, compared with say an APS2, CA M24 or an accurised TW M24/M700 the SVD just isn't in the same ball park of accuracy (stock barrel, cleaned and up powered with an M150).

A STAR SLR is definately more accurate.

I had double feeding issues (using a big *albatross* battery so its expected) and switching the hop got rid of all my wild shots and the double feeds

Edit: I can't believe that word is censored. That's just immature

Edited by Kov

Right now I'm using either the clear or the black Madbull Shark bucking ( honestly can't remember, just chucked it in in the field ) and the rubber H-nub that came with the Madbull buckings.

I'll verify which bucking it was this weekend, maybe with some pictures of groupings at 60 meters+

Edited by counterassasin

Finished upgrading the gearbox with a shortened Systema M160 spring.

I know nothing about the blue Madbull 60 bucking, so I think I'll go for the Guarder 70 + H-nub combo.

The Guarder will leak some fps, but produces more hop and more consistent at a wide range of temperatures.

Threw in a MOFSET, Prometheus red bucking, and random PDI spring into it yesterday... its awesome stuff. I plan to test it out and take some pictures of it today. I also sanded down the furniture and made it darker and more 'dirty'. It was really hard to get the stock to match the hand guards since its a different type of wood.

I was having double feeding issues using a large battery until I replaced the hop up. Please note that the thing is intended to take 7.4 and 8.4v batteries so if you rock something over that its going to have some feeding issues (I checked). I am also about halfway done with my review. I just hope that it doesn't get cut off like my last one did :(

Well, I took it out today and started to chronograph the thing: 495fps, 490fps, 475fps, 450fps, 430fps, 400fps.... and within 20 shots it went down to about 230 with .20g. My double feeding hasn't gone away either. It shoots many times worse than before I worked on it. I am not very happy <_<

Just with the new hop I had no double feeding and it shot great. Now with the new spring and MOSFET I have it again (but not as often as when it was stock) and it shoots like *suitcase*. I lubed the barrel a day ago which may have contributed, but even though I don't remember what type of spring I used there is simply no way that it should be shooting less than 300. Something is wacky.

Perhaps the spring is a 390fps spring and does not slam the piston forward hard enough to have the bore up work properly... and the lack or resistance contributes to the double feeds. The motor gets quite hot after about 300 shots (RS recommends you let it cool down after 500).

On the plus side the hop up system is excellent because of how easy it is to make micro adjustments. The consistency of the shots is also very good considering that it does not have a precision barrel inside of it. I think the MOFSET and .30g bbs helped.

This isn't my first attempt at a 500fps DMR. I just hope this doesn't turn into another money sink of a project :(

At least it looks good (still need to finish the little pad under the stock)

svd-p1.jpg

svd-p2.jpg

svd-p3.jpg

svd-p4.jpg

svd-p5.jpg

svd-p6.jpg

svd-p7.jpg

EDIT: Found my hop spacer laying on my work table. This may have contributed

Edited by Kov

Sarcasm or truth? I was reading on airsoft forum that someone else had serious problems with this type of hop up. It has worked great on all my other AEGs. Did you have this same experience?

truth.... says the 7 red promy ones I have stiiing next to me. The tip where the bb gets fed through is to tight/ tappet plate spring is not strong enough, so bb's dont get fed as far in as they should causing jams, random fps's. I hate them

truth.... says the 7 red promy ones I have stiiing next to me. The tip where the bb gets fed through is to tight/ tappet plate spring is not strong enough, so bb's dont get fed as far in as they should causing jams, random fps's. I hate them

Thanks for all that. What would you recommend as a replacement? Is the Mad Bull fishbone any good?

Thanks for all that. What would you recommend as a replacement? Is the Mad Bull fishbone any good?

I had the same problems using a Prommy Red bucking in my SL9 (530fps) like, major fps loss and double feeding. I replaced it with a Systema bucking and an h-nub. That combo IMHO works the best in just about any set-up with any gun.

BTW: Nice gun, looks excellent. Ugh, now I want an SVD.

Edited by Ion

Installed the black H-nub and the stock hopup rubber in the hop unit, it's working fine now, no misfeeds at all.

Cleaning the barrel was also a good idea, I found some grey stuff on the patches.

Despite I cut the Systema M160 back about 2cm, the rifle is pushing 600 fps. :o

A 20c 11v 1600mah Lipo is cycling the gearbox effortlessly.

I think I'll downgrade to 550fps.

Shooting tests later.