Installed the black H-nub and the stock hopup rubber in the hop unit, it's working fine now, no misfeeds at all.

Cleaning the barrel was also a good idea, I found some grey stuff on the patches.

Despite I cut the Systema M160 back about 2cm, the rifle is pushing 600 fps. :o

A 20c 11v 1600mah Lipo is cycling the gearbox effortlessly.

I think I'll downgrade to 550fps.

Shooting tests later.

What effective range are you getting and what bb-s using?

Bjorn

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fired around 20-30 BBs at 35 and 40 meters.

Accuracy is good, with an occasional flyer. Not as consistent as my VSR, but pretty good.

The hopup setup described above is working fine.

There is enough hop to spin .40s.

Here is a pic before I start to remove the lollypop coloured finish from the wooden parts. :)

rs-svd.jpg

That's good to know. This gun is on my list of ones to get.

I was told by a friend who used to be in the Soviet army that they used to tie a spare cleaning rag onto the cheek rest to replace the pad when they lost it.

I am confirming this.

The cheek rest is held down tight, but if bumped correctly it will probably come off. I am going to watch it the next few times I scrimmage and see if it ever feels like it might come off.

I ran a little test yesterday (stock bucking, black H-nub, ~600fps).

Results:

- 30x40cm target at 50 meters: 8 hits out of 10 with .29 SGMs

- 30x40cm target at 70 meters: 2 hits out of 10 with .29 SGMs

- Most of the misses were very close to target

- .40s produced great range (well over 80m), but wider spread (but no wild flyers)

- hopup consistency is not good enough for sniping (some shots underhopped)

- no misfeeds

Conclusions:

- Overall performance is OK

- Hopup needs to be worked on (replacing stock bucking, putting spacers in the chamber)

- 4x PSO-1 scope must be replaced with something better

I ran a little test yesterday (stock bucking, black H-nub, ~600fps).

Results:

- 30x40cm target at 50 meters: 8 hits out of 10 with .29 SGMs

- 30x40cm target at 70 meters: 2 hits out of 10 with .29 SGMs

- Most of the misses were very close to target

- .40s produced great range (well over 80m), but wider spread (but no wild flyers)

- hopup consistency is not good enough for sniping (some shots underhopped)

- no misfeeds

Conclusions:

- Overall performance is OK

- Hopup needs to be worked on (replacing stock bucking, putting spacers in the chamber)

- 4x PSO-1 scope must be replaced with something better

-I also had wider spread with 0,36 and few wild flyers

-also cca 2/50 bbs underhopped and 1/50 misfeed with new bucking

-I agree that scope must be replaced

What type/model... of SP are you using?

Do you mean the scope? It's the PMO16 model, which has better optics than my earlier, Belarus-made model - but it's still cr*p, too low powered, too narrow field of view, narrow eye relief, etc.

I just ordered an original SVD-to-Weaver mount and a good Leupold M1 replica to have a fieldworthy scope.

A Prometheus 650mm barrel is also on the way for testing.

Slapped in a mad bull fish bone hop up and PDI 260 (cut down about 250mm). Cranks out 515 +- 3fps. With .30g its quite good. Here are my test results:

40x 40cm target at 40meters: 9 out of 10 hit with .30g bbs

40x 40cm target at 60meters: 4 out of 10 hit with .30g bbs

The PSO scope is actually quite nice at longer ranges. If you fit a person's torso into the chevrons it compensates for your shots at that distance (slight lob). Its also very nice that the hop unit has 'click' increments. This makes adjusting the hop and the scope much more intuitive. Conclusions from my tinkering:

-Prometheus hard bucking does not like the RS SVD

-If you are using a battery larger than 8.4v expect to have double feeds

-Using anything less of an M120 runs the risk of a drastic drop in FPS

-Even with a MOFSET with active breaking installed you will have wild fliers (mine also tend to like the right side)

-Shoots good, but needs a precision barrel to excel at its intended role

I am going to get myself an EDGI 6.03 at 690mm. I found my POSP 4x24 M to be sufficient for my airsoft needs. The eye relief is not amazing, but it's not bad either (especially considering how easy it is to get into a shooting position). I don't think I want anything larger for my rifle because the extra eye relief and diameter will be wasted on me.

Edited by Kov

Just opened mine again to confirm hop-up rubber. It is a Black Madbull Shark rubber, with the accompanying bucking. Mine didn't like Madbull 0.40g any good though, so currently I'm running her on KSC 0.30 and SGM 0.29g.

Still not good enough weather to do any long range testing. (That I can document anyway )

What i have seen im seeing more bad reports than good in terms of overall stock performance? i generaly dont like upgrading my guns as im ###### at it. So would you guys recomend this if i want an SVD or shall i play it safe and go with the A&K?

What makes you think the A&K won't need a certain amount of tinkering? If you want an accurate gun at range you will have to work at it regardless of type (AEG/GBB/Boltaction).

i generaly dont like upgrading my guns as im ###### at it. So would you guys recomend this if i want an SVD or shall i play it safe and go with the A&K?

If you don't like to upgrade guns then you should also avoid the A+K SVD. ;)

I've not touched my SVD. The accuracy is plenty good enough stock. I'm confident in hitting partially obscured targets at 60m. I really don't think this gun *needs* upgrading, so much as wants upgrading, because it's clearly got untapped potential, to be one of the best semi auto sniper rifles on the market right now. People here have only been changing the hop bucking and spacer anyway. Not like they're doing much to it. Also, the gun comes with a complete take-down guide, and it truly wonderful to pull apart.

For me the RS SVD is like the G&G M14 back when it first came out (except better). Its solid, has great internals, and shoots 430fps out of the box, its good gun. I have played around with getting AEGs to push 500fps before, and none of them were as easy to do this with as the RS SVD. You just need a spring and it will happily push 600fps with a 9.8v. Its made for it, quite literally.

But if I have install a new hop up, new spring, better precision barrel, MOFSET, LIPO etc. I can make it perform even better :D