Just got my prize in the mail from Real Sword. You might be wondering how I got this gun for free?!? Well, I wrote a review on the RS Type 56 on another board and then everybody voted on which review they liked most. I was lucky enough to win! I got a nice certificate that is suitable for framing if I so choose.

IMG_7385.jpg

The SVD is incredible in looks and feel. Very hefty and extremely solid build quality. Upon receiving it I quickly tore open the box to bask in its awesomeness! The wood is done beautifully. The receiver is also a nice deep black which looks very realistic. The magazine holds 92 rounds which is plenty for a semi-auto sniper rifle.

The battery is housed in the foregrip. You can fit a 2/3 cell 8.4v 7 cell stick pack fine, but a 8 cell 9.6v stick pack will not fit as the grip isn't long enough to accomodate it.

Upon firing it stock, I found the hop-up to be pretty good, but it still left something to be desired. I simply and easily (as the other RS guns do) stripped the gun down to its massive 690mm inner barrel and hop-up unit. I swapped in a H-nub as well as a green bucking (can't remember who makes it). I also cleaned the inner barrel. It was dark when I finished so I can't say if it improved until tonight. I of course will be able to more accurately say how it shoots once I have a scope and it is zero'd in. The gun wasn't as loud as I was expecting. I found it to be pretty quiet. Know that if you like more compact weapons, then the SVD is NOT for you. It is a massive gun.

Speaking of a scope, I felt a replica wouldn't do the gun justice so I purchased a real steel 3-9x42mm PSOP scope for it. I am just awaiting for it to arrive. The only other thing needed is the correct sling, which will come next. A spare magazine or two would probably be a good idea also.

I am not expecting this to be as accurate as a spring sniper rifle, but it should be very close. That coupled with the fact that you can follow up your first shot extremely fast gives me a great sense of usability.

The SVDs come from the factory with a sheet showing what they were chronoing before shipping. Mine was 130 m/s which is about 425 fps with a .2g bb and the hop up turned completely off. Also, all of the guns are individually numbered, mine being #222.

Another nice feature is that the SVD arrives with a full spare set of gears and a piston. Now that is above and beyond. If you are into AKs or SVDs I highly recommend Real Sword as quality and performance are unmatched by any other.

The photos show my RS Type 56 (top), RS SVD (middle), RS Type 56-1 (bottom), and my VFC AKS74U (bottom right).

IMG_7381.jpg

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7382.jpg

IMG_7383.jpg

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7391.jpg

There will be more photos, more indepth info, etc as time permits. I just wanted to get some info out there as they are still relatively difficult to get.

Edited by jamesbernatchez
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my awesome scope in today! Tested it out with .3g and from about 100' away I was able to hit a tree 20 out of 21 times. The area I was consistantly hitting was probably was about 12" wide by about 13" tall. I plan to eventually try some .36g when I can get some.

Scope is a real Russian 3-9x42mm made in Belarus. Plan to use this some on Sunday. it is a beautiful looking setup. And, it isn't much more than the SVD with the replica scope. Scope was $300 with shipping.

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7823.jpg

IMG_7824.jpg

IMG_7833.jpg

IMG_7827.jpg

IMG_7834.jpg

I don't play at SP. I play at Ground Zero Airsoft in Wolcott. Horsem4n, what SVD do you have?

I sure hope it doesn't get shot out. That would flat out suck! :) I have a 100' minimum engagement rule so hopefully I don't allow anybody close enough to me to shoot it.

oh yeah! forgot it was GZ this weekend...

i dont play at GZ that often, but i will if its the only thing going on.

oddly enough, in CT, we never see anybodies optics get shot out...

i ordered an A&K at the beginning of this week (i believe i mentioned it in the guns pic thread on ASCT under your post) but i ended up on the back order list for the 2nd batch...

when i said "make everyone jealous" i was kidding. mines not going to impress anyone in the looks department like your heap of sexiness will...

Edited by Horsem4n

I had a few issues tuning up one. I slapped a M150 onto it, the motor sounded like it was grinding. I tuned the motor, same deal, reshimmed, same deal.

The bevel gear is particulary noisy for some reason. Changing out to a guarder ITM didn't help, it wasn't still I changed to a systema that the noise decreased.

Its top notch as a rifle for construction, and the only thing I can criticise aside from motor noise was the gas parts that are joined to the barrel was mounted at an angle, making the rifle look like its crooked from the receiver to the barrel.

I could hit a propane can at 55m 50% of the time on 0.25gs which is damn good considering they were 0.25gs and there was a light breeze, and on open sights.

I forgot to mention that I swapped springs to a Systema M140 a few days ago. With no ill effects yet. It sounds the same as it did stock. I might even try an M150 eventually. I have a chrono and when I chrono'd with .2g it was up to about 450 fps (stock was 400 fps with .2g). With the .30g it goes down to about 370 fps. Shooting at a tree about 100' away I hit a 12" x 13" portion of the tree 20 out of 21 times using the scope. I plan to test out a Prometheus 650mm tightbore barrel as well as .36g bbs.

The real test will be at this Sunday's game.

For someone who won the "call for review" thing, your review leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm assuming you mean the SVD "review" and not the Type 56. This isn't a "review" yet as most can tell. I got the gun last week and haven't properly used it on the field. That, coupled with the fact that I work full time, have a girlfriend, help out at the local shop, and have stuff to do around the house doesn't leave me much time to write the review right now. See where im going with this.......in time.

Its nice to finally see some real pics that haven't been touched up for promotional purposes. I must say it is a beautiful rifle. How does it sound? is the gearbox smooth? does it take standard aeg parts (barrels, hops etc).

If my financial situation was much better I'd buy one right now.

Its nice to finally see some real pics that haven't been touched up for promotional purposes. I must say it is a beautiful rifle. How does it sound? is the gearbox smooth? yes does it take standard aeg parts (barrels yes, hops rubber only etc).

If my financial situation was much better I'd buy one right now.

So a little update.

Went to the shop yesterday to test out range on the field and hang out with the guys. I tested some Madbull .36g BBs and found the M140 not enough to propel them out where they needed to be. I swapped out the Systema M140 for a Madbull M150 and unfortunately the FPS increased 100 FPS! From 440 FPS to 545 FPS. Plus, the 8.4v was straining to pull the M150. Since that was over the field limit I tried a Madbull M140 next and found it to put the FPS with .20g at 480 FPS. Much better! I think with a tightbore barrel, a cleaning of the barrel, and a new bucking and it will be shooting much better! Playing with it tomorrow so we will see how it does in the field.

So a little update.

Went to the shop yesterday to test out range on the field and hang out with the guys. I tested some Madbull .36g BBs and found the M140 not enough to propel them out where they needed to be. I swapped out the Systema M140 for a Madbull M150 and unfortunately the FPS increased 100 FPS! From 440 FPS to 545 FPS. Plus, the 8.4v was straining to pull the M150. Since that was over the field limit I tried a Madbull M140 next and found it to put the FPS with .20g at 480 FPS. Much better! I think with a tightbore barrel, a cleaning of the barrel, and a new bucking and it will be shooting much better! Playing with it tomorrow so we will see how it does in the field.

as you are doing a review surely just cleaning the barrel then doing the review is stage one? I hate it when people do reviews on guns that have been modified as it's totally worthless information.

I do agree that you should review it stock.

Had a chance to have a feel of one of these yesterday.

Gorgeous. If you think it looks good in the pics, just wait 'til you see a real one.

The wood looks better than some guitars I've seen. It looks like a curled, flamed maple. It's really sexy.

The body has the Chinese-style finish, obviously, versus the Russian-style. I prefer the Russian, but meh, that's a small detail.

The iron sights are really nice. I usually ignore airsoft irons, but these are very functional, and work really well.

It's heavy, though. Very heavy.

But worth it :lol:

Ben.

Well, I've got one. Unfortunately, I've got to try and get my RS membership confirmed, and then get them to send me a replacement fire selector. They claim to offer free replacement parts. Hopefully the fire selector is included, because somehow, I broke it. There's just no safe option on mine any more. I'm seriously baffled as to how I managed to break it, and if I can't get a replacement, I'll be quite upset.

So far, just the feels and build of it, I'd say it's a wonderful gun. With this and the Tanaka M700, I can quickly see the VSR getting mothballed... We'll see how it performs first though.

One more thing, the battery compartment is a *badgeress* to get into. I can understand why they made it such a snug fit. Everything is absolutely beautiful when together. Unfortunately I can see myself accidentally damaging the fore grip or barrel, while trying to remove the battery for charging. That's not something I want to do.

I can attempt a review if you guys want. Never done a proper one before though, so it'll be a bit wishy washy, and take me a while.