JG Full auto Tracer $35.00 USD

jond36

Regarding the subject of battery consumption, when I use my TM version tracer unit, I generally run it with regargable batteries. That way Im not burning though pack after pack of regular alkeline batteries. If fully charged, one set will last for a 6 hour night op, which I feel is plenty of time.

The fact that you can have a reusable battery pack that can hold up to three times as much charge a single use one an can be recharged in 10 minutes from a car cigarette lighter makes little difference ? :P Not to mention that a 1200 mAh LiPo costs about 10$ and can be recharged in the area of 10,000 cycles which makes them a little greener?

If you're out on a night op and your tracer dies, you do not want to be charging up LiPos - 4 x AAAs in a pouch is ideal.

Yes, the fact that you can jam absurd amounts of energy that can be recharged into a tracer unit makes little difference to me. So, as I see it, with a rechargeable NiMH (presumably) battery, you can get 6 hours of battery life in a TM tracer unit. For the majority of users, that is plenty of time, so why would you need to triple that length? Presumably, you're going to be recharging your batteries between events anyway. And, in the case that you're playing in a very long continuous game, will you really have access to that car lighter to charge up the battery, or would you rather have a spare set of AAA's in your pocket to swap out when and if it dies out on you?

Airsoft goods producers unfortunately has been complacent in using Nichel basesd batteries for comodity sake and also because they have a shorter life span. Not to mention they they can produce them cheaper and reap bigger profits from it.

So, which is cheaper for the manufacturer: Have an internal lithium battery power source and possibly a charger for it included or have no battery source included and leave it up to the consumer to get their own batteries? So, especially with JG making one, why would they choose to include a lithium battery (assuming you chose that I thought you would)? Also, if they are indeed just copying the Marui design, why would they want to redesign it to take a different power source?

Yes, the fact that you can jam absurd amounts of energy that can be recharged into a tracer unit makes little difference to me. So, as I see it, with a rechargeable NiMH (presumably) battery, you can get 6 hours of battery life in a TM tracer unit. For the majority of users, that is plenty of time, so why would you need to triple that length? Presumably, you're going to be recharging your batteries between events anyway. And, in the case that you're playing in a very long continuous game, will you really have access to that car lighter to charge up the battery, or would you rather have a spare set of AAA's in your pocket to swap out when and if it dies out on you?

So, which is cheaper for the manufacturer: Have an internal lithium battery power source and possibly a charger for it included or have no battery source included and leave it up to the consumer to get their own batteries? So, especially with JG making one, why would they choose to include a lithium battery (assuming you chose that I thought you would)? Also, if they are indeed just copying the Marui design, why would they want to redesign it to take a different power source?

I was referring to the batteries used in airsoft replicas that are nickel based. And nickel packs are wasteful and inefficient compared to LiPo. Why is that?

- Charging time and discharge rate: A 2200 mAh LiPo pack is charged and balanced in 30 minutes in slow mode or 15 minutes in the accelerated one. No competition from nickel here. Discharge rate is higher (15C minimum) compare to nickel (8C maximum) so the torque of the motor is improved increasing responsiveness for the first shot and ROF for the following ones..

- Cost: 2200 mAh 11.1v LiPo costs 14$ and I guess you well know how much a similar NiMh pack costs ...

Back to our silencer/tracer unit:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/u...000mAh_2S1P_15C

This pack si made of a AAA cells and weights 55 grams. Costing 7.13$ (let's make it an even 10 including shipping) you get 3000 charges x 4 cells for 10$. Put two of these in parallel and you have a 2000 mAh pack that fits inside the silencer and powers it for an entire event. And we are talking end user prices here.

If JG would integrate these with the unit (in a AAA plastic adaptor like the ones used in cameras) you could get a quick rechargeable (15 minutes top) power source that can be replaced with regular AAAs in emergency. And it would probably cost them 5$ extra to do so.

- Pollution: Disposable batteries are pretty far from being ecologic and throwing away 4 cells for every four hours of play seems quite a poor investment... And yes it's cheaper for the manufacturer but quite expensive for our children ...

If you're going to compare lipo to NiMH, at least pretend that NiMH can put up a fight. There are 15-20C NiMH packs and there are sub-15C Lipo packs. In a tracer unit, you don't really need high discharge rates, and even if you're looking at needing say 2A discharge, you're looking at a 700mAh 3C battery, well below the capability of either type, and even 2A at say 5V is 10W, which I assume is well above what is needed, since 10W is a decent amount of power to be using. So, if you're looking at even 700mAh draw from the battery, you're only looking at a 1C battery, again well below either of their typical ratings. In my mind, lipo is overkill for a tracer unit.

As for that pack, explain to me how that is made from AAA cells. A AAA battery is about 43mm long with a 10.3mm diameter and weighs about 10g, and a 10440 is about 44mm long and 10mm in diameter and weighs about 19g (according to DX). So, either that pack has a large amount of wasted space, or it is not made from AAA cells as you say. The width of the cells in that particular pack are about as wide as the tracer unit itself, so unless you are making a wider tube or you are bending that pack (which isn't good for the cells, I assume), you won't be able to fit that kind of battery in. And then, for the weight, I don't see any advantage either way really, not to mention that I doubt most people can tell the difference in maybe 20g worth of battery weight at the end of your gun. If you want to start getting into sizes that would fit into a tube the size of TM's tracer unit, or probably any ~1.5" diameter silencer, you're looking at a 400mAh single cell or smaller. Sure, you can stick 2 of them in there and have them running in parallel for under $6. I guess, if the manufacturer wanted to go make a custom shaped pack, they could, but so far, none of the clones of the tracer units appear to have it. Using a lipo just doesn't seem significantly better from a design standpoint.

For disposable batteries, Fighting Maus mentioned using rechargeable batteries in the TM that seemed to work fine. I didn't say that AAA primary batteries had to be used. AAA alkaline batteries are pretty easy to find, and you can probably just as easily get AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries too.

I've been working on my own tracer unit, and actually, the power source is one part of the design that I hadn't chosen yet. I assumed I'd be going with NiMH AAA's just because of the size and ability to replace them quickly and easily. The alternative was the Zippy single cells on Hobbycity. Now, another alternative is the 10440 batteries on Dealextreme. Anyway, if you want to discuss this further, we can take it to PM's, as it doesn't really relate to this topic since JG did not decide to use a lipo battery source.

JG seems to be making a lot of new announcements. I thought they are closed down by police?

Few days ago, I heard the 608-7, 608-8, that M4 pistol and now this?

SWEET! I hope we hear more news in days ahead!

B

JG seems to be making a lot of new announcements. I thought they are closed down by police?

Few days ago, I heard the 608-7, 608-8, that M4 pistol and now this?

SWEET! I hope we hear more news in days ahead!

B

those models where released before that factory was shutdown. Now is only one part open which makes the F66xx series, other parts still closed (G608 factory is closed)

F66 series are the M4/M16/HK416 models (F6601,F6604,F6613 etc)

Hello Frontier (my favourite member of this board),

That is sweet! I don't know what is the F66 series but if one part open, I hope that 608 will resume soon. I have trouble locating brand new G36K series! I hope when they reopen, JG will offer nylon fiber 608! :D

B

I'm sure a cheap China made ED flashlight would do the trick, however the bbs tend to lose most of their glow quickly, so by the time the bbs made it all the way up the hose they wouldn't be as bright as the silencer would make them. But try it and see, might work well enough.

I've been looking at this thing too, it is pretty tempting to buy, my friends and I are running two big night games in a month from now, so it would be pretty fun to use. I've seen people put UV LEDs in their hopup to charge the bbs, which makes a lot of sense, but the muzzle flash is a nice effect to have. I bet on a gas gun that makes a little puff of vapor at the muzzle, the flash would light up the vapor making it look more like a muzzle flash.

So? Has anybody recieved their's yet?

RSOV and Ebaybanned has them as well now. It's $37.50 USD with free worldwide shipping on Ebaybanned.com. I'm considering this instead of a $100 shipped TM v2 Tracer Unit

I'm considering testing the waters for one but silencers have a chance of getting seized by customs here in Canada which doesn't allow any guns, recievers, silencers, frames, visible bullet magazines, etc. to be imported in this country.

So? Has anybody recieved their's yet?

RSOV and Ebaybanned has them as well now. It's $37.50 USD with free worldwide shipping on Ebaybanned.com. I'm considering this instead of a $100 shipped TM v2 Tracer Unit

I'm considering testing the waters for one but silencers have a chance of getting seized by customs here in Canada which doesn't allow any guns, recievers, silencers, frames, visible bullet magazines, etc. to be imported in this country.

best bet is to always contact customs and talk to them about it. I doubt you will have a problem with the tracer unit being mistaken for a silencer as the plastic tube going down the centre pretty much shows that isn't the case.

• 2 weeks later...
these things work very well. still preffer the new tm one but its a great backup unit. my CQB site is in near perminant darkness and these things are great for psychological impact and second shot placement.

highly recommended

not too sure on the psychological impact as Spectre sees tracer fired on a regular basis. Hell, that place is one of the few times i will use pure tracer rather than doing a pick and mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived