considering buying/building a PC

my_plague_666

copy pasted from the spec :unsure:

it's the default option, although an 'additional 10/100/1000 network card PCI' is available for another £6. forgive my noobishness, but what does it mean?

as for the PSU, i was afraid that would be the case. there's a 700W coolermaster silent pro for £26 more, i guess that would be a better bet.

i was considering the creatives, they're cheaper too. the asus, however, supports dolby virtual speaker which is pretty attractive since i dont have space for 5.1. reviews seem good too, the mock surround feature is apparently much better than creative's effort.

ahhh, i saw the RC but initially misread it as expiring in 2010. well, thats the OS sorted :P

The Coolermaster will be a much safer choice than an unbranded PSU any day.

As for the network card. The 10/100/1000 refers to the ability of the network controller to send and receive over a wired network at 10 megabits a second, 100mbps and 1000mbps (1 gigabit). The motherboard will have atleast 1 connection on it capable of all those speeds so you don't need to worry about purchasing an additional card. I suspect that they don't advertise the motherboard as having gigabit lan so you assume it doesn't and buy the additional network card from them.

I wouldn't nescesarily go with any particular brand of PSU, but certainly don't cheap out on one. Either it won't be able to deliver the power it says it can, or it will only just be able to do so, ruining the efficiency of it, or it'll blow relatively quickly. Or all of the above.

Get a decent PSU and It'll be the best kind of component: invisible and utterly un-noticed. You'll forget it exists, as it'll never give you any trouble and outlast you.

I wouldn't nescesarily go with any particular brand of PSU, but certainly don't cheap out on one. Either it won't be able to deliver the power it says it can, or it will only just be able to do so, ruining the efficiency of it, or it'll blow relatively quickly. Or all of the above.

Get a decent PSU and It'll be the best kind of component: invisible and utterly un-noticed. You'll forget it exists, as it'll never give you any trouble and outlast you.

Not really, just buy a expensiv PSU dosent mean you are gonne get a good PSU, it depends on what kind of a psu it is and brand.

But corsair PSUs are really high quality i will recommend them.

Corsair is good quality but Coolermaster is just as good. He's buying a PC from Cyberpower so he might not have the option for a Corsair. If we're being really picky about it we should force him to get an Enermax Revolution but they're £200.

Mate, If you're going to build a high-end comp you might aswell treat it with a quality PSU.

i was going to go for the coolermaster (thats part of the reason why i posted the spec, to see if the cheaper, unbranded PSU would be a problem) but there's corsair 750W unit for only £8 more so i'll go for that. reviews seem positive on both, but the corsair seems to take the edge.

perhaps 750 is overkill, but i suppose it should allow plenty of overclocking and SLI potential for the future.

Why would he need 850W in that comp?

Heck, even 620W is a bit overkill.

That's my point. The 700w Coolermaster is more than enough but people kept saying to get a more expensive Corsair when it would make next to no difference in the actual running of his PC. In the same way that buying the best PSU would make almost no difference to how his computer runs over the CM but it costs more.

Archived