I have seen, on other forums, where a user's sig is only added to the bottom of the first post they make on any given page (so it could be on more than one post in the same thread if that thread spans over mulitple pages)

Could this approach be used on this forum, in order to save space and prevent needless duplication of information. Many posts are quite small, and often short posts follow each other quickly as users have a sort-of conversation about a topic - there is clearly no need for every post to have the same sig appended when the previous post is only a few lines higher up the page.

Perhaps utilising this approach could reduce the perception of sigs being intrusive or oversized, as they would only appear once per page for each user????

i just don't like the suggestion. i use sigs to tell me which user i am reading without having to look at names(same with avatars). with each person having their sig appear in their first post per topic, it would confuse me. i have never seen a forum like that.

Edited by Horsem4n

I'm with Horseman here, really. I can appreciate the benefit spacewise, but if signatures are an annoyance for that reason, it'd probably be better to just use the options to hide them.

I generally find signatures harmless enough (so long as they're PG13), and generally staff try not to be overly strict - but if people are taking the mickey - as they regularly do on other forums I visit, with 800x600 images, etc), then we tend to act. :)