AR15 Picture Thread

Okay, I can't resist....

Why don't people buy these funky bits in black?

Why is it that people, instead, choose to build 2-tone guns that look identical to the pin-ups?

The fact that people build guns in the same colours as Costa Coffee's and even fuss about what mounts he uses so they can get their dual-torch set-up identical to Costa's would suggest that there's more to it than simple ergonomics.

It's about fashion too.

Stop bashing the double stack light mounts, Ive never seen the video, IDC what he says about them. But for the love of GOD (yes GOD) can we please lay off the double stack light mounts. Wasnt that guy from viking tactics one of the first people to start useing dual tone>???

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, when I built my SR-15 like 2 years ago, I did an FDE furniture and black metally bits color scheme. Why? 1, it looks cool, 2, I like tan colored *suitcase*, but don't like krylon on nice "gucci" guns/scratch builds, 3, it does aid in breaking up the gun, and actually works. Magpul dynamics wasn't out and I'd never watched any of those other instructional dvd, etc. Guess I am completely unoriginal and a copycat, right? <_<

Lol nay, it most certainly isn't, what with its tendency to take a dump at the most in-opportune moments :P

I just put a lot of time and effort into making it, yet because it had the two tone fde furniture and black body it must obviously be another mindless copy of costa, amirite? Ridiculous.

My argument am fail. I will go back to my hole now :D

Edited by Vercingetorix
Except that 90% of airsofters and alot of real steel guys only buy it because Magpul makes it.

Still doesn't stop half of that 90% from improperly shouldering and handling their rifles anyway.

Its all about the flavors of the month.

If Magpul works for you, all the power to you. Not dissing it. Just people who throw things on their gun for the names and assumed enhancement.

Products/brands gain popularity for a reason, being which that they excel in at least one of the major areas of style, quality, performance and engineering.

This is true for any industry whether it be automotive, computers, weapon accessories, etc.

The best and most popular products tend to shine in multiple categories mentioned above, the Best of the Best shine in them all. Magpul has obviously set new standards in the engineering, design, style, and implemantation of weapon accessories.

One might even say they've created an entirely new DYNAMIC to weapons and possibly even created an ART of using a tactical carbine.

Maybe they should be called Magpul Dynamics or something and start teaching the general public this new tactical carbine art....

:D

Oh and as far as the style or color an operator chooses his accessories to be, WHO CARES.

There's always an origin and creator of every "fad" and again, the most imitated and copied "fads" or" styles" or "setups" - are so because they are what the majority of the user population finds to be the most aesthetically pleasing.

All this says about Costa is that the man has good taste along with great skills, so not only do people admire his operating techniques, they also want to mimic his setups to look as cool as him while they are doing it.

Edited by ViciousV10s

I'm not concerned with 'fads' or anything made by Magpul and such. I don't buy ###### I don't need. I like regular handguards on most of my weapons, I like the standard and altered stocks that are common for that weapon. I really don't give a damn about what's popular or cool looking. I use what I like, and what's comfortable.

So yeah, there's my two cents. :]

But what if someone just likes how it looks, why should we accuse someone of falling into a "fad" just because they like the way something looks, its airsoft and a big part of airsoft is looking cool, not everything has to have a purpose just to justify it being used by someone.

Fiddlesticks probably hangs out with a lot of guys that like PEQ's. No need to get philosophical on some guy who has narrow social views.

I'm not concerned with 'fads' or anything made by Magpul and such. I don't buy ###### I don't need. I like regular handguards on most of my weapons, I like the standard and altered stocks that are common for that weapon. I really don't give a damn about what's popular or cool looking. I use what I like, and what's comfortable.

If you like comfortable regular hand guards (IE no rails) then put your prejudice to one side and give a Magpul MOE hand guard a try. It its one of the best AR hand guards I've tried.

I'll admit there are some Magpul products which dont do anything that products already out there don't already do or that dont improve functionality enough to justify the price tags but there are also a lot of good ideas there too (mainly the friction lock on their CRT and ACS stocks).

Easy and quick answer----- Because navy seals and chris costa have them (The whole, I spent 2 thousand dollars copying costas gun because they like his system really falls apart when they stick a PEQ on the top of their gun w/out a battery)

If they've made a costa clone then they will need that PEQ for the battery. If they've made a Navy Seals M4 then having spent all the money building the gun to the tiniest detail why leave off a major part of the gun? Plus some of the clones have a laser in it and in CQB they can be handy.

And now to break up all the chat here's some pics.

SDC10627.jpg

SDC10630.jpg

Group shot

SDC10625.jpg

Because those zombies won't kill themselves :P

I think he was talking about players attaching replica PEQs to their weapon for the express purpose of the look. Now, I can see using one as a battery box. I just don't see any reason to attach un-needed junk to your weapon if you don't need it.

You've either got a very skewed perception of what the definition of the word "need" is or you are simply misusing the word.

First of all, you are a fellow American so 99% of the ###### you own are things you don't need, they are things you wanted and could afford to buy, or your parents could afford to buy, or just wanted it so badly it was purchased with a credit card.

You must feel that you NEED to own an airsoft gun since you have one right? Since you don't buy ###### you don't need. And Im sure your (or your parents) purchase of said airsoft guns was not because airsoft is a new COOL AND POPULAR hobby right? Of course not, because you don't care about what's popular or cool.

Do you own and use one of the "American" see-through plastic airsoft guns? I bet not. And I bet you don't because you wanted a more realistic looking one because THEY LOOK COOLER than clear plastic.

Do you have a flash hider on your airsoft rifle(s)? You certainly don't NEED a flash hider on your toy BB gun. Oh wait, IT LOOKS COOLER and more realistic with a flash hider doesn't it?

I think what you really meant to say was you don't care to spend money on buying extra ###### that probably would get little or no use on your airsoft gun. You simply have other interests and hobbies that you would like to use your money on. Such as your interests in Nissan 350z's, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the fact that they are one of the most popular and cool looking new cars on the road, right?

You are totally right about there being no reason to lug around the extra weight and bulk of accessories during a game or event where it is not needed. Why have a flashlight mounted during a day game, or a magnified scope in a CQB situtation right?

Well, this may come as a shocking realization to you but that is why people use modular rail systems and QD attachments on accessories. So you can change your configurations according to the specific needs for any situation.

I see that you are just a kid, but that doesn't mean you need to kid yourself.

And since this a picture thread, here is a throw-back to my first "Magpul'd" M4 from June 28th 2007

gallery_39597_1138_366939.jpg

http://www.drglocktavius.com/gallery/v/M93...366939.jpg.html (link to show upload date)

So I'm pretty that means I'm over two years ahead of the new Magpul "fad" and everyone just started copying me to be as cool as I am.

:rofl:

Fast forward to June 7 2009 and here is my favorite config for my WE M4

WE%20M4%20002.jpg

I stand true to my personal taste and needs with that "plain" setup but I am still influenced by new designs, accessories and configurations I see. So I buy new things to try out for myself because I can afford to and want to be able to have hands-on experience to formulate my own opinions.

After all, how can you know you like something more or less than what you have if you don't try it out. How can you truly learn about anything without first hand experience. You may find that what you thought you'd never need becoming a necessity you cannot live without.

Anyway sorry for the rant, that's just my $30,000 comeback to your $0.02

So I'm pretty that means I'm over two years ahead of the new Magpul "fad" and everyone just started copying me to be as cool as I am.

:rofl:

To be fair, I certainly wouldn't like to suggest people should only buy things that they "need".

My only point was more that people justify these purchases by talking about their practical benefits.

The superior qualities of the MIAD or UBR are not in question. That, alone, doesn't explain why so many people choose to buy them in Dark Earth or Tan and end up with a gun that looks exactly like Chris Costa's.

It's just about honesty and openness.

If you like the way something looks then say so.

Don't try to justify your Costaclone© on practicality alone.

Please don't take offence at any of this BTW. :)

I like the look of quite a few magpul bits and I will probably bung some of em on my G&P M4 at some point.

To be fair, I certainly wouldn't like to suggest people should only buy things that they "need".

My only point was more that people justify these purchases by talking about their practical benefits.

The superior qualities of the MIAD or UBR are not in question. That, alone, doesn't explain why so many people choose to buy them in Dark Earth or Tan and end up with a gun that looks exactly like Chris Costa's.

It's just about honesty and openness.

If you like the way something looks then say so.

Don't try to justify your Costaclone© on practicality alone.

Please don't take offence at any of this BTW. :)

I like the look of quite a few magpul bits and I will probably bung some of em on my G&P M4 at some point.

I totally agree about the color scheme choices, on this subject I will never veer from my personal preference of keeping my rifles black. FDE is reasonable IMO but I don't get the Tan fad at all.

I think he was talking about players attaching replica PEQs to their weapon for the express purpose of the look. Now, I can see using one as a battery box. I just don't see any reason to attach un-needed junk to your weapon if you don't need it.

Airsoft is 99% about looks. All airsoft guns shoot 6/8mm plastic BBs. The only difference is what they look like on the outside. If we really preferred functionality over the military-style of airsoft, we'd be paintballers.

Costa is cool and all, but overall, I don't live on the Emerald Ilse. I live in dusty Oklahoma. FDE works better than black or OD here. Would be even more awesome if they came out with an "Oklahoma Red Dirt" color scheme :D

Overall, who cares? People will buy what they want to buy, for whatever reason. Why does it bother you?

You've either got a very skewed perception of what the definition of the word "need" is or you are simply misusing the word.

First of all, you are a fellow American so 99% of the ###### you own are things you don't need, they are things you wanted and could afford to buy, or your parents could afford to buy, or just wanted it so badly it was purchased with a credit card.

I purchased it with my own money. I bought it because I wanted a new gun. I'm sure you have bought a new gun just because you wanted it.

You must feel that you NEED to own an airsoft gun since you have one right? Since you don't buy ###### you don't need. And Im sure your (or your parents) purchase of said airsoft guns was not because airsoft is a new COOL AND POPULAR hobby right? Of course not, because you don't care about what's popular or cool.

I don't need an airsoft gun. I lived without one until 2 years ago, what would stop me from doing it now? And of course I buy things I don't need. It's in human nature to aqcuire things we don't need.

I was talking about weapon accessories I don't need, not all the other ###### in the world that's out there. And no, I picked up on Airsoft after I played a couple rounds with some friends. I liked playing it, so I coninued with it. Besides, paintball is more popular than Airsoft, so if that were the case, I wouldn't even be on this forum right now.

Do you own and use one of the "American" see-through plastic airsoft guns? I bet not. And I bet you don't because you wanted a more realistic looking one because THEY LOOK COOLER than clear plastic.

What do you think I started out with? And yes, I did want a realistic looking airsoft gun, and so did you.

Do you have a flash hider on your airsoft rifle(s)? You certainly don't NEED a flash hider on your toy BB gun. Oh wait, IT LOOKS COOLER and more realistic with a flash hider doesn't it?

Yes, I do. I like not getting shot by the idiot cops in my town.

I think what you really meant to say was you don't care to spend money on buying extra ###### that probably would get little or no use on your airsoft gun. You simply have other interests and hobbies that you would like to use your money on. Such as your interests in Nissan 350z's, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the fact that they are one of the most popular and cool looking new cars on the road, right?

It has nothing to do with how popular they are. I've driven a few before, and I like their performance, ergonomics, and the form of the car. Also, they aren't new. Fairlay Z's have been around since 1969.

You are totally right about there being no reason to lug around the extra weight and bulk of accessories during a game or event where it is not needed. Why have a flashlight mounted during a day game, or a magnified scope in a CQB situtation right?

Well, this may come as a shocking realization to you but that is why people use modular rail systems and QD attachments on accessories. So you can change your configurations according to the specific needs for any situation.

I see that you are just a kid, but that doesn't mean you need to kid yourself.

Like I didn't know that already. Again, there's a reason why I keep everything simple. I can change anything on my replicas at any time I choose. In the field, or in the safe zone. It doesn't make a difference to me. I'm happy with my set ups, and I don't wish to change them unless I have too.

I've never understood the whole fde accessory thing, cause often you see an m4 with a fde stock, pistol grip, rail covers and VFG.

All of these parts are covered by your body parts when you're holding it, so I don't get the whole camo thing.

Sure it looks cool, but its hard to get away with explaining that its there for a reason ;)