lightsabre pictors!

I'm getting two, one for me bro

myg0T. those things look so good, and I'm not even a star wars fan...

must get a shinai company to make a see through fiber glass shinai with them light tubes inside.

*drools....*

heh.

Are they like... durable? I mean can you knock them about without breaking them?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I want to get some friends and dress up as characters from either harry potter, lord of the rings, or star trek and go to the opening night of episode 3 and just say stuff like WHERES GANDALF, WHATS A YODA, I bet Id get killed.

The hilarity would make my death worth it though

Are they like... durable? I mean can you knock them about without breaking them?

What you want is a blade made out of clear polycarbonate, not fiberglass, or acyrlic, or likewise. 3/4", or, if you really want to duke it out, 1", polycarbonate blades can take a BEATING. I've whacked trees full swing with no breakage. The main critique is that they tend to be a bit wobbly, but no more than you would experience if you were swinging around a PVC pipe of equal thickness (which is exactly how I started 10 years ago --there's no shame in that). Besides, when dueling against another saber blade, you get some nice tactile feedback with every strike, just slightly more than, say, a shinai or bokken. Me and my kendoka buddies have yet to break a saber made of the 1" stuff.

I've answered some of your PMs, and will address the rest of them soon. Keep the questions coming!

-AuZ

Oh, and ColDaz, it HAS been tried in my circles once or twice, believe it or not. Hard as hell...

well that's interesting. :)

cheers.

well, I was just day dreaming of a see-through fiber-glass shinai with a LED tube thingymabob inside it.

Fiber-glass shinais last decades anyway... at least the ones I've seen.

I could imagine the shake from plastics to be more... bouncy, than the hard rigid shock from Red-Oak Bokkens or budget shinais.

anywho... I've no money for this kind of toy.

*goes back to wave bamboo*

Here's mine...I have more, but I'm too lazy to get them all rounded up. I wanna fight in the duel! I don't have any training in swordsmanship, but I did win a contest in junior college. This is the only story I can brag about...but I beat out a bunch of kids who thought they were cool. It was when Ep.1 came out and our radio station had the contest at our college festival. Actually, I even got a sexual favor out of that deal. There was a girl there who thought she could beat me after I won...she said she would go down *ahem* if I could beat her. Needless to say...she tasted the salty rewards of sweet defeat.

Hannibal

"Hmmm... The Force is strong with this one! "

lol...maybe...probably just real lucky! When I left, I was just a learner...now I am the master.

"you gotta paint the MK.I grenade black and the emitter brass on your obi-wan lightsaber, then it'll look more authentic"

I would...but I had it customed machined and built. Actually it's quite a story about how it came to be. I had it done a few years back before you could buy one on every corner. Actually I was threatened to be sued and put in prison, but luckily nothing ever happened. I love it though...it has custom aluminum fan blade pieces that make up the radiation fins on the emitter brass. It's a amazing piece IMO. After all that...I couldn't bring myself to paint it or weather it...I got hooked on the machined finish, I guess.

Hannibal

this friend of mine with me in the states, i htink he looks like luke from The Empire Strikes back,

tom1.jpg

mine isnt photoshopped, it's one of these lightsabers that have a long plastic tube on the hilt which you can turn the light on and off, we we're playing with it in one of those big toy shops when we went to the new york.

And yet, somehow, the light emitted by that super-bright blade isn't reflected on the guys clothes in the same way that the spotlights in the ceiling ARE reflected on the guy behind.

Weird, huh?

Jeff Parks is an industry mainstay as far as saber smithing goes. His work is quality stuff, and his EL blades last quite a while. He also has some nice options for his sabers, like a touch activation switch. The only set back is that because he is in such a high demand, the average wait time for a newly ordered saber is a couple of months. Over the years, I have bought 4 and handled 3 more of his sabers from friends. They are really good, and his new work (his Deuce technology, which uses two 9Vs) are the best ELs you can buy, in my experience.

With ELs, though, are thin, at the standard 3/4" blade width, and even with the new Deuce tech, they are still resemble something more like a long glowstick than a saber. Here's a comparison picture for reference. The two on the right are from Tomy (limited release in Japan, long sold out), and are about as bright as the sabers I posted before from Shannon. The downside to Tomy's sabers: They're plasma, so you can't fight with them. The upside to Shannon's sabers: Just as bright as Tomy's, which are clearly brighter than the other industry competitors in that picture, and yet they are polycarbonate blades, so you can duel all you want with no fear of breakage.

Two more PMs have been answered. More pics are going to the other three of you as requested tomorrow mornin'.

-AuZ

post-6184-1116227261_thumb.jpg

And yet, somehow, the light emitted by that super-bright blade isn't reflected on the guys clothes in the same way that the spotlights in the ceiling ARE reflected on the guy behind.

Weird, huh?

Ok, so people clearly don't belive that i haven't photoshopped it so here is another pic of the light saber, but for some reason it came out differently, this in another friend from the trip

jimmy.JPG

Now you can see in this picture that the light is actaully coming from the blade, also if you belive i photoshopped this one, which would take alot tbh, have a look in the mirror over his left shoulder.

Edited by Vicks

hey vicks... now... i got a kinda childish question to ask.

Are those things just forlooks or can they take a bash or two?

I'd hate to pay £200 or however much they cost for a pair and break them the minute I get them out the box. :P

as said before, I really should stick to bamboo sticks :rolleyes:

ColDaz: those are 3/4" polycarbonate, so they can take a good beating and still not break. Maybe not full swing nonstop, but they really can take take some licks.

Evil K: Park's sabers do come with an endcap, which these days are clear instead of the orange/ed he had earlier. You can remove them if you don't like the look without affecting the blade's integrity --they're really just to protect the polycarbonate edge from hurting you if you got jabbed.

billymak: Ghost_Rider is right. Anything will break under a certain amount of stress. The polycarbonate blades and sturdier construction that Shannon's and Parks' sabers have allow them to endure the stresses of general sparring. Master Replica's F/X sabers, like the one posted in Vick's picture, do have thin polycarbonate blades, but due to their blade type and base construction (i.e., the blade does not extend more than an inch into the hilt), they are prone to breakage, oftentimes even under a minimum of contact stress. MR's F/X sabers certainly cannot withstand near what the other sabers being discussed are designed to. Indeed, MR's sabers are, like MR states on its website, intended to be collectibles, and not to be used for fighting.

I hope this clears up some questions. The rest I'll answer when I get the time.

EDIT: Oh, and you'll notice that Shannon and Jeff (Parks) don't make hilts from the movies. That's because Lucas does a good job of tightening down on copyrights, so it's a precarious business sometimes. However, another friend of mine makes movie replicas that RESEMBLE those wielded by Luke, Vader, Mace, Obi Wan, even *spoiler* the Emperor. *End Spoiler* I must say RESEMBLE because these are not EXACT replicas, and also to spare him the potential trouble of some Lucas bookie shutting him down.

His website is here: http://www.rabittooth.com/propreplicas.htm

Scroll to about half way down the page and you'll see his work. I've held his Obi Wan saber, and the machined aluminum and anodized black detail, along with the 9V EL driver, were all quality work, rivaling even the famed Larbel in quality and accuracy. If you decide to contact him, tell him that Zion sent you. He's a great guy in many respects.

-AuZ

Edited by KyberAuZ