WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

Okay boys! I've got the gun! I picked it from the customs in the morning. Here's my quick-review...

First impressions, oh boy I like it! Nice weight to it, even without the magazine. And when I pull the bolt back and release it, it really feels there's some weight inside. First thing I did was switching the orange flash hider and installing the steel one. Nice! The overall finish quality is decent, painted pitch black. Same with the magazine. Perfect match with the RIS rail. Overall great stuff, definitely not what I would have expected from WE before this day! Field dissassembly is easy and internals look the same as in pictures we've seen before, which is nice.

The KAC-style RIS snapped on easily (the $35 unit that was discussed here earlier). So it's now more Mk18 SOPMOD style now. Also the acm ACOG fitted nicely, but it's still a question if the scope itself is utter ###### (the crosshair is not straight). And I couldn't fit the Dboys M203 because the outer barrel inside the handguard is too thick to let the rear attachment slide around it, and the slot on the barrel (for the front attachment) seems to be a bit too near for it to fit well. I think I have to modify the launcher to make it fit and remove the front sight assembly to be able to slide it all the way from flash hider to delta-ring. I guess it should be possible... Any ideas are welcome.

I immediately loaded some bb's and gas to the magazine. The magazine itself ain't that heavy. A bit heavier than AEG magazines, but definitely not as heavy as typical gas magazine. Not heavier than Maruzen MP5K 50-rounders, maybe even less. The outer shell of the magazine seems similar to standard AEG magazines, so does the overall quality. Quite ok I guess. I really don't mind buying and carrying a bunch of these. Ain't too expensive. Sadly there's a small leak in the main valve, but nothing major. When I figure out how to dismantle the magazine, I'll screw the main valve open, grease the o-rings and lube it. Should stop the leaks. I don't have the tools etc. here at my work with me.

So... The the juicy part... Firing the thing! I haven't tried the WA M4, but the recoil to me is suprisingly intense! Not real-steel, but definitely enough for my tastes with an airsoft rifle. More than typical pistols. Closer to hard-kicking CO2 1911. And there's no comparing to the AEG's with this beauty. On about 5 meter indoor range its accuracy is dead on, bb's hitting one another. The gas I use now is Cybergun "Blowback Gas APS3, 750ml". I believe it's a little bit less effective as regular green gas, but a lot more powerful than HFC134a. So far I haven't chronoed it, but the impacts it makes to our silicone-covered airsoft-target seems not too deep. I won't start guessing, since I'll chrono it when I have time.

So far a couple of my workmates have fired the thing and they are really impressed of the overall quality, feel, recoil and realistic operation. We've shot a few magazines worth of bb's. Gas seems to last two 30rnd mags fine. And so far it has had an excellent operation. No doublefeeding or anything like that.

My verdict (so far): I love it! If it keeps working and I can get decent accuracy outside, there's no going back to AEGs, ever! And co2 magazines could able me to use it wintertime too. Hopefully...

Edited by cazboab
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

Yeah, I'll do chrono tests later on. I'll test it more before that and propably give some maintenance to it, so it would work as smooth as possible (not that it wouldn't work now, but for the fps chrono test). And maybe it's possible to make a longer "shooting range" on the hallway when it's a bit more quiet here. Outside it's about +6 degrees so any test there would be pretty much pointless.

An update with the M203 - I got the rifle fit the GL without modifications. Now it's quite a heavy son of a gun! :lol:

I had to take out the pins in front sight and remove it. Then the M203 slided in and snapped on nicely. The collar didn't have to be on the slim part of the barrel. It was tight, but managed to lock on the wider section fine.

Here's a picture of my gun... (And yes, we do have a sofa in our room at the work.)

we_m4_and_dboys_m203.jpg

Edited by Lupus78

Andrew: If you bothered to read this thread a little bit earlier on, you might discover that quite a lot of people ordered this gun from Airsoft Buddy last week. He's been a very helpful fellow here and have been patiently answering our questions during last few months. The price including shipping from Hongkong was $460. Delivery was exact and REALLY fast. And now even WGC is taking preorder for this gun for $370. Around 350-370 seems to be the final price around, plus the shipping of course. We who ordered from Airsoft Buddy got the first batch available anywhere.

So far I'm happy like little kid in christmas time. X-mas came early this year indeed.

Edited by Lupus78

Lupus,

The thread is 35 pages long, I've just finished a twelve hour night shift keeping the streets clean of people with better attitudes than you. a simple answer would suffice, if you can't be polite keep that gaping hole under your nose shut, got it!

Andrew: If you bothered to read this thread a little bit earlier on, you might discover that quite a lot of people ordered this gun from Airsoft Buddy last week. He's been a very helpful fellow here and have been patiently answering our questions during last few months. The price including shipping from Hongkong was $460. Delivery was exact and REALLY fast. And now even WGC is taking preorder for this gun for $370. Around 350-370 seems to be the final price around, plus the shipping of course. We who ordered from Airsoft Buddy got the first batch available anywhere.

So far I'm happy like little kid in christmas time. X-mas came early this year indeed.

Sorry, I didn't want to sound that bad. I really didn't want to offend you, so I apologize.

I guess I'm just tired of answering people asking questions that we're answered just a few days ago.

Yeah, sorry Lupus, I did come across as a bit of an ######. Thanks for the info anyway, look forward to your full review.

For Lupus 78 or anyone that gets this in the next few days how does the finish/material of the receiver compare to that of other M4 AEG's like G&P, CA, ICS...?

It's kind of hard to tell from the photos and the the mini-review Lupus 78 posted today said that that the finish was "decent" which isn't a very confidence inspiring word.

Thx.

Andrew: Thanks. And no hard feelings I hope. And welcome to the club... ;)

Body: Hmmm. Maybe "decent" was an understatement. I don't exactly qualify as an expert on this matter. Only AR15-series gun I've owned is my XM177 which is quite different than this one. I guess this one is really close to the real-steel Oberland Arms AR15 which I've handled once. Smooth black painted body. Nothing to complain about. The fitting of the body when I reassemble it after dissassembling is really tight and clean. Couldn't be better. The quality of machining seems really top notch. Take a look at the pictures in GGI thread and Airsoft Buddy's pictures. I think mine is just the same (good) quality, so no point taking extra pictures just to prove that. Besides, I don't have any camera around except my phone (which I used to take that picture). I kinda like this solid smooth black finish more than the G&P greyish finish that tries to look like anodized.

Actually I'm also interested to hear comments from people like Wupjak, who's had more experience with these kinds of rifles. Personally I'm really(!) happy about it and would recommend it to anyone interested. The performance is of course yet hard to jugde from my indoor testing without a chrono. I'll bring chrono along tomorrow. Visually at least (and by touch) the recoil and shots seem really steady.

Feels like a solid performer with quality finish.

Edited by Lupus78

I await the full reviews, mainly because that FPS issue is going to be a big one. So far, it looks like my ICS is going Buh Bye! :)

Lupus you are crazy lucky man! Is it just me or are in everyone of the pictures a bit of "ICS Grey" popping up in random places like the dust cover and the ring at the front site that holds the foregrip/ris on? Flash supressor too on the end is a little grey. Is it really that grey or is it darker like the ICS grey is? (ICS Grey has a tendancy to be very light in pictures but it's dark in person). If it's indeed that light in color then there will need to be some spraypaint going on :)

Yes, that's true. Some parts are really lighter than the others. Doesn't bother me, so I didn't really care about them. I think they bring a bit of nice touch into overall look. But it shouldn't be hard to paint them if they bother you.

UPDATE:

Found the "another chrono" from our office. Buch of airsoft maniacs everyone here. ;)

Figures were steady 149-151 m/s on all my test shots, about 6-7 shots total. So that's about 2,25 joules which is way too much for me. The BB's used we're the Airsoft Buddy's 0.20g. No strange variation in velocities. Tomorrow I will try it on HFC134a, plus test it also with the CQB barrel, once I figure how to dismantle the thing. And I'll try to have time to do a full magazine through the chrono too.

My final target is maximum 126m/s, which is the limit here with 0.20g BB's. I hope that the CQB barrel would bring it down to that so that I don't have to resort to the HFC134a.

Yes, that's true. Some parts are really lighter than the others. Doesn't bother me, so I didn't really care about them. I think they bring a bit of nice touch into overall look. But it shouldn't be hard to paint them if they bother you.

UPDATE:

Found the "another chrono" from our office. Buch of airsoft maniacs everyone here. ;)

Figures were steady 149-151 m/s on all my test shots, about 6-7 shots total. So that's about 2,25 joules which is way too much for me. The BB's used we're the Airsoft Buddy's 0.20g. No strange variation in velocities. Tomorrow I will try it on HFC134a, plus test it also with the CQB barrel, once I figure how to dismantle the thing. And I'll try to have time to do a full magazine through the chrono too.

My final target is maximum 126m/s, which is the limit here with 0.20g BB's. I hope that the CQB barrel would bring it down to that so that I don't have to resort to the HFC134a.

I see a 350ish +-20fps on the CQB barrel with Green/Propane.

I await the full reviews, mainly because that FPS issue is going to be a big one. So far, it looks like my ICS is going Buh Bye! :)

Lupus you are crazy lucky man! Is it just me or are in everyone of the pictures a bit of "ICS Grey" popping up in random places like the dust cover and the ring at the front site that holds the foregrip/ris on? Flash supressor too on the end is a little grey. Is it really that grey or is it darker like the ICS grey is? (ICS Grey has a tendancy to be very light in pictures but it's dark in person). If it's indeed that light in color then there will need to be some spraypaint going on :)

The steel parts are probably parkerized which is why you're seeing the difference in finishes. If a gun had all of its metal parts finished in the same color i would be a little confused. (unless of course you duracoated, keracoated, alumahyderized the entire thing). ^_^

Edited by Magsz

Good to hear Lupus. I don't know if you have any add-ons you could test fitment of? Is it a military or commercial buffer tube? Can front sites designed for AEG aftermarket barrels fit on this barrel? Is the barrel thread standard airsoft 14mm-?

What's the word on the hop up?

Edited by slu
The steel parts are probably parkerized which is why you're seeing the difference in finishes. If a gun had all of its metal parts finished in the same color i would be a little confused. (unless of course you duracoated, keracoated, alumahyderized the entire thing). ^_^

Good point, it's starting to grow on me (the whole thing not just the grey) but the real AR15 I shot certainly didnt have any grey in it. (It was an Oly Arms PCR97) anywhere. Then again it was kind of an oddball rifle anyways :) (Full length AR15 with collapsible stock :D).

I'd definetly like to see what the 30shot spread is with both barrel lengths. Even if I had to use the short inner barrel with the M4 outer I'd probably do it because I dont know if I'd ever fully like the stubby look with the detachable carryhandle. Thought about making a 733 out of it but I'd rather have the full length M4. I wonder what could be done to limit the FPS while still providing the awesome blowback on these! Leaky mags do worry me a bit but then again, what gas mags dont leak stock :)

Andrew: Thanks. And no hard feelings I hope. And welcome to the club... ;)

Body: Hmmm. Maybe "decent" was an understatement. I don't exactly qualify as an expert on this matter. Only AR15-series gun I've owned is my XM177 which is quite different than this one. I guess this one is really close to the real-steel Oberland Arms AR15 which I've handled once. Smooth black painted body. Nothing to complain about. The fitting of the body when I reassemble it after dissassembling is really tight and clean. Couldn't be better. The quality of machining seems really top notch. Take a look at the pictures in GGI thread and Airsoft Buddy's pictures. I think mine is just the same (good) quality, so no point taking extra pictures just to prove that. Besides, I don't have any camera around except my phone (which I used to take that picture). I kinda like this solid smooth black finish more than the G&P greyish finish that tries to look like anodized.

Actually I'm also interested to hear comments from people like Wupjak, who's had more experience with these kinds of rifles. Personally I'm really(!) happy about it and would recommend it to anyone interested. The performance is of course yet hard to jugde from my indoor testing without a chrono. I'll bring chrono along tomorrow. Visually at least (and by touch) the recoil and shots seem really steady.

Feels like a solid performer with quality finish.

Lupus:

Thanks for the review and specifically for the response to my question about the body!!! Glad you're happy with it.

Lupus - Thanks for the initial impressions on the WE M4. Any plans on doing a range test?

Let's see... There's +7 degrees outside and storm coming... Doh! :blink:

Oh well, I might try put up some cardboard at the end of our office hallway and try some longer range tests. 20 meters should be doable. Also I could try out the hopup adjustment. The rings seemed quite stiff and hard to reach, so I didn't start toying with it today. We just had fun plinking at close range... I tell it's FUN! Tomorrow I'm planning to do some more extensive research on this gun, mainly some chonograph tests with two different gasses and I'll also try figure out how to swap the inner barrels. I'll also test a silencer on it. Then we'll see what type screws it has. I have a feeling they we're positive (when I switched the flash hider), but can't remember for sure. The gun is at the office so all tests have to wait tomorrow. I'll take along a carry bag so I can take the gun finally home where I can study it more close and perhaps take some pictures.

About the furnitures, sadly I don't have any parts I could try to fit it. Only the scope, RIS rail unit and the M203, which all fitted fine.

By the way, the original plastic stock seems a bit loose. I don't mind it, but it could be more tight.