WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

^ doesnt matter. The WA plastic loading muzzles deform almost immediately. Either gas. That is getting smashed on the return, has nothing to do with the type of gas.

They get a lot of power out of their old trusty design, but it is very problematic in many ways.

The guy I sold the WA to locally, (last I heard), sold it to somebody else. He bought a few RA parts (like the metal hop chamber) and was disgusted. The stock rubber lip didnt quite fit the RA pieces and bb's were rolling out of the barrel, or if it fired, the FPS was soooo low.

There were some other fitment issues with the aftermarket parts too, I forget.

He did the right thing selling it.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

I opened the receiver and pulled half the handle out. Below is the stock WE and a new handle that I bought from the local gun shop for $20.00 (forged).

Now the big thing is THEY ARE NOT 100% THE SAME. AND THERE >IS< A SLIGHT ISSUE.

As you see above, the WE has an extension added to the tip that rides in the top channel of the steel bolt carrier. Without it, the bolt will not take the charging handle all the way back into the gun on its return. You have to push it in the last 3/4 of an inch.

When pulling the RS handle, the hook at the end"sort of" catched the lip of the bolt carrier groove, but then slips right over it since it isnt deep enough.

It ends up catching the roller bearing assembly instead.

The feel is rough and wrong - also wearing out the pot metal upper receiver channel in the process. (since the handle is now jacked at a weird angle).

It just isnt right.

What needs to be done is to have a small flat piece of scrap steel JB welded to the RS tip - or WE simply has to offer a STEEL replacement part. (or CNC aluminum)

Not sure why you mentioned this again, as it has already been mentioned before. Refer to post #1255 date Dec 04 2008.

Also I'm pretty sure the upper and lower receivers are made of aluminum, not pot metal. I believe Airsoft Buddy has stated this.

To Tom Andrews and Magsz,

Im not sure I follow your comments - who said we were using "steel" charging handles?

You did. Twice. Amnesia? Selective memory?

Either that or your word choices are just plain poor.

What needs to be done is to have a small flat piece of scrap steel JB welded to the RS tip - or WE simply has to offer a STEEL replacement part. (or CNC aluminum)

This handle really should be steel WE.

And regards to the RS charging handle, I like IBICO's solution the best. The bottom portion of the charging handle has enough material that one could drill through and tap it and then insert a screw there. The only difference in opinion I have is that I don't think a separate steel plate is necessary; the head of the screw should be sufficient in pulling the bolt using the proper groove.

Oh, and I've tried someone's suggestion before regarding #122. I tried replacing it with the aforementioned #83 o-ring, 1/2 x 5/16 x 3/32, and it works pretty much perfectly. The fit in the brass chamber is pretty much perfect, it's large enough that it provides an excellent seal, while being not too big so that not too much additional friction is applied. Any reduction in speed of the bolt is not really noticable at all, just apply some silicon oil on the o-ring. Also from what I can tell the ROF is exactly the same as before; around 800 rpm or so.

There was one indication for me to how it has improved the blowback. My magazine now falls out from the gun occasionally when I fire in full auto due to the recoil :P. For now I've screwed in the mag catch by one more revolution to provide better retention, but a stronger mag catch spring might be necessary. Screwing in the mag catch more is probably sufficient though.

I would also recommend replacing #37 as the o-ring is very flimsy and tends to get squashed when you screw in #38. Just get a similarly sized one that's slightly thicker, this would also help in dealing with screw #36 becoming lose over time.

So to anyone whose #122 is starting to get damaged, I would, as someone else (Sephas?) already has, recommend going to your local hardware store and buying a #83 1/2 x 5/16 x 3/32 o-ring. I'm not sure what this rottenotto guy did wrong, but the o-ring worked perfectly for me.

Im not sure if ti has trades or not, however, from seeing other DD Omega replicas on the market, all the trades are on the other side of the rail. So I couldnt say if the one I ordered has them. Im crossing my fingers though. Im just hoping EB actually DID switch my order, and arent pulling my leg.

Kai - did you get your Omega RIS in?

Edited by rottenotto

Hey guys, please keep things civil. Let's stay on topic please. Both of you have contributed.

On other news, I can second that the Real Steel DD barrel nut fits the WE like a charm.

I havent gotten the omega in yet, but I think Paul is going to send me one for sending the wrong item.

Edited by Kai_Wolf
Hey guys, please keep things civil. Let's stay on topic please. Both of you have contributed.

On other news, I can second that the Real Steel DD barrel nut fits the WE like a charm.

I havent gotten the omega in yet, but I think Paul is going to send me one for sending the wrong item.

Ive tried - but somebody here has an axe to grind.

What did you end up paying for the DD nut? I know another peron here bought one, I just cant recall the price.

I think he had to shorten the nut by an 1/8th for it to work. (get the spacing right).

Im still waiting on a big order from EB right now. Its been weeks. Still hasnt arrived in the US yet, but at least I finally got a tracking number. That took almost 2 weeks right there. EB can be so slooooooow.

wow that was A LOT to read....anyways it seems like everyone has been slowly receiving their WE M4s since they ordered from airsoft buddy. I am currently in Taiwan right now and one of the store owners i talked to said that the ATF are paying close attention to WE M4 that are being brought back into the states. he states the reason is because of the close dimensions of the lower receiver that could possibly allow a drop in trigger module to fit from a RS AR.

so all in all. has anyone recently ordered their WE M4 in the states from overseas have any problem with customs regarding WE M4's going in? if not then im gonna buy one here nd ship it back home :D

Cheers

So the Home Depot o-ring fix works for two folks, but not for another. Maybe inconsistency in WE's final assembly?

Sluu, it technically "works", but Im telling you, it's not perfect. Im super obsessive about tuning everything (I build ultralights and am a mechanic etc etc) and there is an obvious "drag" that shouldn't be there. Way worse when the cylinder is pressurized. That #122 seal is designed to be smaller than the cylinder for a variety of reasons.

"Do I want my gun to run peak, or just work"...... Thats what you need to ask yourself.

If you just want the gun to "work"? Meh, save yourself a whopping $5.00 from AB (*rolls eyes*) and run a hardware store o-ring.

I can tell you my gun is performing at its peak or even at its limit right now - and faster than "...800 rpm" at any temp above 60 degrees.

PS....

Im in the process of putting together an online store for these guns... since there is no aftermarket yet. Nothing fancy and nothing carved in stone yet. Its all about time. I have located a quad ring seal that is exactly correct size and is a stronger material than stock #122. I can also have RS charging handles pinned correctly at the hook to work with WE for about $25-30.00. Also considering small bottles of Krytox oil plus applicator for an affordable fee. I'm also going to consider stocking spare parts in the states.

Edited by rottenotto

Otto: Really like the idea of an aftermarket store here considering the amount of tinkering you've done with your gun. Should be good to have everything laid out for the end user instead of having to search every OSH and Lowes in town.

Bleaches: I agree, I'm also interested in what peoples experience has been getting their WE M4's into the states. I just ordered one from AB (and his customer service was top notch I might add) but I am a little paranoid about customs getting their grubby hands on it.

Hey Rottenotto, you got my vote in that category. Hope it works out for ya since I plan on getting the latest WE version soon.

I really aappreciate it guys. I do.

This is the most jazzed I've been about an airsoft gun in a long, long time.

I think Im going to start sleeping with this gun :P

So finally I got my package from AB, the gun is LOOKING great so far, but I must have gotten a foul egg...

After 2 Days the gun is already virtually nonfunctional.

Issue 1: Magazine

It loses the gas just like many others, I hope it will eventually stop. But this is a minor issue.

So I was loading my magazine for the very first time with about 20 BBs. After the 3rd or so BB the Mag didn't feed any more. So I opened it up to see what's the deal.

It seems that the holes on the left border on the magazine, the ones holding the black plastic strip, were drilled too far on the right side.

The effect is that the follower got stuck between the plastic and the magazine. When I tried to *gently* push it back up, it literally flew up and lost its nose and broke the lever for the bolt stop.

cimg7619yi1p.jpg

Okay, I've got two mags and the second works flawlessly.

Issue 2: Crushing BBs

There's something wrong with the Nozzle or Hopup. The gun keeps on crushing every 3rd or so BB when entering the barrel. I've used ICS 0.25g Plastic BBs and I also tried G&G 0.20g Bio BBs - these are literally torn to powder.

cimg7632tmv3.jpg

Is there anything I can do?

Issue 3: Charging Handle

The dang thing broke after using it for about 10-15 times. I was not racking it like a lunatic, only when necessary. And I did not use a lot of force since I knew it was a weak part...

cimg7633th1y.jpg

Now is there a reinforced/new aluminum whatsoever version available from AB? I'm gonna write him as soon as chinese new year's over, but I hope for a few answers from you folks too.

Thank you!

Edited by Pollux77
wow that was A LOT to read....anyways it seems like everyone has been slowly receiving their WE M4s since they ordered from airsoft buddy. I am currently in Taiwan right now and one of the store owners i talked to said that the ATF are paying close attention to WE M4 that are being brought back into the states. he states the reason is because of the close dimensions of the lower receiver that could possibly allow a drop in trigger module to fit from a RS AR.

so all in all. has anyone recently ordered their WE M4 in the states from overseas have any problem with customs regarding WE M4's going in? if not then im gonna buy one here nd ship it back home :D

Cheers

Well I live in the States and ordered one from WGCshop, it shipped on the 17th and apparently arrive at US customs on the 18th. Still no word from customs yet, all it says is pending customs inspections, or on another tracker Inboun into customs. The status hasn't changed in over a week, but I have heard customs has been slower than usualy lately. I am going to give it a few more days, and if it is not out of customs by then I will try to find a contact number. Anyone else have long delays in US customs recently? I am so damn anxious to get the gun!

So finally I got my package from AB, the gun is LOOKING great so far, but I must have gotten a foul egg...

After 2 Days the gun is already virtually nonfunctional.

Issue 1: Magazine

It loses the gas just like many others, I hope it will eventually stop. But this is a minor issue.

Mine also leaked a bit the first 8-10 times I filled it. I had some gas left in the mag one of the last times I used it and after that I had no problems..

Issue 2: Crushing BBs

There's something wrong with the Nozzle or Hopup. The gun keeps on crushing every 3rd or so BB when entering the barrel. I've used ICS 0.25g Plastic BBs and I also tried G&G 0.20g Bio BBs - these are literally torn to powder.

cimg7632tmv3.jpg

Is there anything I can do?

hmm. It can`t be the bb`s.. It is the ICS 0.25 I have in the bag at work now where the people at my work is shooting with each day now. Have not had any issues with it. Also at home I have G&G 0.20 that I always use and never had issues with them either.

It might be that you got one of those "monday" guns.

I would claim warranty on that one if you can.

What's causing me to NOT buy this is how many problems people are having when first getting this. Defend this gun all you want, but the reason why people are buying these guns is because it's "within their budget". So far I only see several people here saying "this gun is uber awesome" but the biggest promoter here is a mechanic who's tinkered with it to make it work. I'm sorry but no matter if the replacement parts are cheap as heck but if I have to carry spare parts ON THE FIELD with the thought of something breaking, then instead of magazines in my vest i'm gonna have charging handles, o-rings and/or any other parts?

So tell me...if I buy this gun from a store how will I know which version i'm getting? How will the store even be able to tell which one I'm getting (cuz a lot of times they won't know). WE doesn't even seem to have an official list of what versions they have because they keep changing out stuff with new ones that are going out. Will it be able to work out of the box, charge the magazine, and then go play? No one has talked about how accurate or how the range is on the gun. Has anyone actually skirmished with it and liked it to the point where they'd never go back to an AEG? Can i use .25's and still be able to adjust hop-up for a straight trajectory?

I'm not being sarcastic...I'm just seriously thinking about buying one to try out but I almost feel like I'm wasting my money if i have to have spare parts on hand with the worry of it breaking. I know others have the same question and i've already seen several people post it. The low price is what drives me to buy one because it's cheap enough to try one out for myself. But it doesn't make sense for me to also have to buy replacement parts that will just break again. It does show signs of WE though, some say it's flawless (but they haven't said what they've done to "fix" it) some say it's junk and the same part on everyone's gun keeps breaking (quality control & testing issues) and some people just won't buy it because of the name.

but if I have to carry spare parts ON THE FIELD with the thought of something breaking, then instead of magazines in my vest i'm gonna have charging handles, o-rings and/or any other parts?

erm, mate, do you think its unusual to wear spare parts "on the field" (safe zone)?! ..

the most aeg users I know have many many spare parts waiting in safe zone.. spare gears, springs, nozzles, motors, etc etc

the last time I played with my old G&P M4 (unmodified) I shredded my piston and a gear.. I was just happy that a buddy has had some spare parts for me..

.. and theres one thing I can tell you.. aeg parts are much more expensive than those WE *suitcase*, and I'm glad about that! Sure, I'm glad if I don't need them off course, but to be realistic.. there are always parts that gets broken. on any gun!

..nevertheless, I understand your points..

Edited by Carsten

Don't think anyone is forcing you to get one? No one said it was without flaws. Most people just tend to believe it has less flaws than the only comparable product. Hell, I share your sentiments, same reason I haven't gotten one yet.

The ATF bit also concerns me.

rottenotto:

Is this new #122 a commercially available item? If so, you're saying you won't reveal where you got it so you can sell it to us?

Edited by slu
What's causing me to NOT buy this is how many problems people are having when first getting this. Defend this gun all you want, but the reason why people are buying these guns is because it's "within their budget". So far I only see several people here saying "this gun is uber awesome" but the biggest promoter here is a mechanic who's tinkered with it to make it work. I'm sorry but no matter if the replacement parts are cheap as heck but if I have to carry spare parts ON THE FIELD with the thought of something breaking, then instead of magazines in my vest i'm gonna have charging handles, o-rings and/or any other parts?

I hear ya, keep in mind that "Gas in the mags" are a recent revival in airsoft. Getting the tech back to where it was is a matter of elaborating on the successes of GBB Pistols. Most of these systems are more or less an experiment if airsoft is ready to revert back. Most of these problems are minor, with the most serious ones being a cheap fix. (In fact the most serious one I can think of is probably the firing pin issues, which is solved by a little sanding, or maybe the charging handle, get a real one ;)) This gun is not for everyone, if you dont think that you can handle the cost then dont buy it. Like with cars and AEG's, wait for the next gen release when this is improved upon drastically.

So tell me...if I buy this gun from a store how will I know which version i'm getting? How will the store even be able to tell which one I'm getting (cuz a lot of times they won't know). WE doesn't even seem to have an official list of what versions they have because they keep changing out stuff with new ones that are going out. Will it be able to work out of the box, charge the magazine, and then go play? No one has talked about how accurate or how the range is on the gun. Has anyone actually skirmished with it and liked it to the point where they'd never go back to an AEG? Can i use .25's and still be able to adjust hop-up for a straight trajectory?

Simple solution is to buy from Airsoft Buddy, he has the versions listed and is most likely the latest because of his relation to WE. Like I said above, this isnt a gun for the masses this is best suited for those who like to tinker and want more relasim. I dont own one yet but I'm sure with some slight mods you can make it do whatever you want.

I'm not being sarcastic...I'm just seriously thinking about buying one to try out but I almost feel like I'm wasting my money if i have to have spare parts on hand with the worry of it breaking. I know others have the same question and i've already seen several people post it. The low price is what drives me to buy one because it's cheap enough to try one out for myself. But it doesn't make sense for me to also have to buy replacement parts that will just break again. It does show signs of WE though, some say it's flawless (but they haven't said what they've done to "fix" it) some say it's junk and the same part on everyone's gun keeps breaking (quality control & testing issues) and some people just won't buy it because of the name.

I personally am waiting for new versions to come out, or at least a body kit so I can have M16A4 :D

What would surprise and please me the most is if WE actually releases a Ver. 3 based on the critique in this thread. I would like to see that WE rep on the gas guns forum come to Arnies.

This thread is the single most comprehensive record of user feedback on the WE M4, and the rep is unfortunately not registered here.

erm, mate, do you think its unusual to wear spare parts "on the field" (safe zone)?!

Haha actually yeah i guess it is unusual for me. :) Although i don't play in those overnight type games usually only for maybe 3-6 hour type games. I also have confidence in the guns that I buy/build so I never felt insecure about my gun "breaking" on me while playing.

Don't think anyone is forcing you to get one?

Nope...but I'm someone who likes to "buy and try". Plus the co2 mags was a brilliant marketing idea to pull customers to buy their product. I'm also trying to give more readers something to think about since people are buying these things because people have said it's skirmishable out of the box and is the "am bestest gun in the world". If my questions can be answered by people, maybe it will help others to make the decision about buying one for themselves.

From what I've seen a lot of the people who bought them so far wanted a co2 ready, affordable, metal body/parts GBB M4. The way i'm looking at it is a "cheap" GBB M4 that's supposedly capable of using co2 with parts that breaks even when used properly. The co2 is the ONLY feature that's driving me to even want this gun at this point.

If you're afraid of doing some small work and maintenance to keep this gun in working order, I would recommend to stick to AEG's (like the new TM M4 SOPMOD). But if you really want a GBB as your primary rifle, WE and WA (including G&P and Inokatsu) are currently the only choices. No doubt there will be others. Currently WE is by far the cheapest and easiest option. And it's future seems really promising. The basic design seems fool-proof and there's surprisingly little to improve.

For me there's no going back to AEG's. This WE is the most fun thing I've encountered during my airsoft days. I'm more than willing to do the little love and care for this baby...

I think people here have been quite honest in their opinions. It's a joy to use and not too hard to maintain. Very reliable overall as long as those critical parts are checked once a while and gun is kept lubed and clean.

Do your math. And insert your own variables into the formula... ;-)