WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

Well spending $100 (not counting shipping+customs) for a gun younger than a month that never played a game makes me mad. And I can't find the mechanism anywhere but on airsoftbuddy...

Parlons en anglais que tout le monde nous comprenne ^^

A la limite le ressort c'est réparable, mais le guide lui, doit être du bon diamètre et de la bonne longeur... et j'ai même pas de modèle vu que le mien est carrément explosé (ce qui a causé la torsion du ressort)...

(Sorry for the french language here, replied to Eliminator's solution ^^)

Aucun problème!

J'etudie le Francais depuis 5 ans. Je parle Francais, aussi. (ainsi ainsi!)

ROTTO

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

Got the DD MK18 7" front on finally. Same problem as everyone though that the barrel nut wouldnt fit, went on couple turns but no further. Annoyed with this i had a think and came up with a solution which done the job... i used the original barrel nut that came with the rifle. How? well i cut the 'spikey collar' off the top and smoothed it down a little and it makes exactly the same nut as what you get with the RIS kit but screws on perfectly. Heres a pic of it after:

That's a pretty ingenious solution! Well done!

SPR MOD style handguard

post-32710-1236904759_thumb.jpg

All took less than that 10 mins to fit, other than the SPR grip which was a bit longer as it was a different outer barrel. Also got a DD Mk18 Copy to fit but that was enough for tonight and need some sleep, gonna be counting AR15's in my sleep.

Whoa, how'd you get the solid stock on there man? Looks good.

Well, I think I finally have got everything ironed out with this gun thanks to everyones help on here. A big thanks to Otto for his continued expertise :punk:

So I loctited the valve after replacing the seal and it seems to be firing perfectly now. The receivers have been shimmed and now no longer wobble. The stock has also been shimmed and has no more wobble (have yet to get a real one since I would much rather have that). And i've almost got all the parts on it that I want. Here's some pics.

e6bc6a51.jpg

e5767875.jpg

a6f2940e.jpg

ffb1afc1.jpg

574c5cf0.jpg

So far its got the following parts added:

Hogue overmolded pistol grip (needed 1/8" drilled out of the spring cutout as it was too shallow as is)

HK416 rear diopter sight (Fit good but leans slightly when tightened hard)

HK416 front sight (fits perfectly)

Daniel Defense Omega RIS (Fits perfectly with the stock barrel nut)

FakEO-Tech 552 (fits perfectly, have yet to see how it holds up with recoil)

JAC XM177 Flash hider (Fits perfectly, was previously from my old JAC XM and after that my SP XM)

Next I would really like to get a "tactical" latch for the charging handle and a low profile gas block from VLTOR (not the clamp on type) but Im a bit wary of whether the gas block will fit or not. Seems like it should but I've heard others have tried and it didnt work...soooooo I dunno. The front end seems slightly naked without a gas block to cover that large uncovered part of the barrel.

Again, thanks for everyone's help in getting fixes and workable mod info out to everyone I know I appreciate as I'm sure everyone else here does as well. Hopefully some of the parts I listed help people when it comes to seeing what fits and doesnt.

So anyhoo, that's about it. Feel free to make any suggestions on any of the stuff above. Thanks.

-Dave

Very interesting Marky! Thanks for sharing dude. How does this affect fitting different front ends though? Will they still fit?

Was it difficult/time consuming to do? And one final question :P Where did you buy your Mk.18 replica? (I know there is a few different versions kicking around)

Thanks again fella.

Erm took me a bit of time to get it fitted but this was more down to lots of trial and error and seeing if it was going to work, now i know it does would be much quicker to do again. Even quicker once i get some decent tools. Longest bit is probably getting the screws right so it sits straight. I got this one from ebaybanned.

Whoa, how'd you get the solid stock on there man? Looks good.

-Dave

Its a G&P solid stock kit for the WA version. The thread was slightly different, i think it was the depth, but with a bit of elbow grease it went on and is rock solid.

Erm took me a bit of time to get it fitted but this was more down to lots of trial and error and seeing if it was going to work, now i know it does would be much quicker to do again. Even quicker once i get some decent tools. Longest bit is probably getting the screws right so it sits straight. I got this one from ebaybanned.

IBICO has told me that he removed both the 'spikey end' and the other end too as this was required in order for the mod to work correctly.

From your post I got the impression you only removed the 'spikey end' Is that correct mate?

I need some opinions! A buddy is willing to sell me his WE M4 for $300, AFC version he "says" A.W.S.S. Are there any ways to distinguish the different versions so I can positively ID it?

Also, you WE M4 owners out there, what do you think of it compared to AEGs? I'm on the fence with which is better, WE is definitely cooler, but the mags will be expensive at first, but more realistic. My AEGs on the other hand are inexpensive, but less realistic.

Thoughts, criticisms, concerns? I really want it, but I'm also cautious on something new.

Hoot.

Well, like everything new it has its issues. Like all gas rifles its not as consistent as its spring counterpart.

But, as for downright uber cool factor, it poops all over an AEG in a heartbeat.

You have to go into a GBB rifle purchase with your eyes wide open. Expect it to break, expect it to not be as consistent as the AEG you are used to, expect to have to devote time love and attention to it.

If you can live with these points then you will love it.

The whole recoil system and the realistic breakdown and operation over an AEG is just sublime. The build quality on the external parts id brilliant and it feels ultra solid.

Obviously the known issues like bolt stop and mag catches and aggressive hop and leaky mags are a bit of a bind, but they are not irretrievable.

It will take work, it will take time....

If you really want one of these, but want it to be faultless, you are going to have to wait a while until they iron out the small bugs. If you don't mind a few bugs, then go for it.... and now.

I showed mine to a few of the guys the other day and it was like taking in the ORGASMATRON. everyone wet themselves.

You don't tend to get that with an AEG.

Very well put Chef

I am going to a large skirmish tomorrow and I will be taking my WE along for the first time :). Only problem is the temperature is going to be around 48 F... I will put some hand warmers next to the mags in the pouches and see if that helps at all.

It totally does, no need to strap them to the mags. They will be empty in seconds! 30 rounds is a blink of the eye. They wont be in the gun long enough to get cold.

50 degrees is right on the border but you will be fine.

Just dump your empties back into the pouches where the hand warmers are, until you reload.

I carry 12 mags into the field, loaded up and prewarmed.

PTS CTR stock fits well on the WE, very tightly. I got one in FDE color on my AWSS

Is it because CTR commercial ver. have the locking system that makes it tight? i know we can still use CTR commercial ver. but if im not mistaken commercial ver. is 0.02" slightly bigger then Mil-Spec. So for MOE stock we should go for Mil-Spec and for CTR Mil-Spec/Cmmercial Ver. should be fine, correct me if im wrong. If so then im going to get it at EB

Edited by trinco
Looks Great Sabrepilot!

Im loving the XM flashhider. Gives it just the rigth length ;)

Thanks man. Its not much but its an improvement over the standard M4A1 config/look and the length of the XM flash hider still lets me use the full length inner barrel. Woo hoo! Today I added some new stuff as well. The gun now has "foliage green" ladder ris covers installed as well as real AR-15 receiver pins. The receiver pins also help with the receiver wobble (I still use the shim anyway though).

Now, the biggest improvement I made today was with the buffer. I dont know if anyone else has tried this yet but I figured I would post it up here anyhow. My friend has a rifle style buffer from a real AR-15 and, for those who dont know, they contain weights in them like all real steel AR-15 buffers. So today we decided to take apart his and mine and it turns out the stock WE buffer is hollow inside like the real gun allowing for actual weights for real steel guns to be installed. The stock buffer weighs 25 grams and after weighing it with 3 buffer weights and pads installed it came in at 80 grams! Thats 3.2 times the total weight of a stock WE buffer. Needless to say this increases the kick substantially while only minimally affecting the rate of fire. I am quite pleased with this modification and so far there dont seem to be any issues with it. One thing I did note about it, however is that in the 80-100 shots I tried with it, the harder kick actually managed to work the buffer detent screw out and began contacting the bolt carrier as it traveled rearward into the buffer tube! A few minutes later and some blue loctite and everything was running great again. I'll work on getting some pics together if anyone would like them since, like I said, I'm not sure if anyone has done this yet. I'll also be sure to get any updates if I begin seeing any ill effects on the gun from this (which I doubt since there really isnt any additional wear on any parts and no physical dimensions were altered).

Edited by sabrepilot9000

Very cool news sabrepilot. I was wondering about those enhanced recoil spring guides on TSone.

What are the weights supposed to do in the real AR-15? Surely increased recoil is generally not optimum...

Edited by Chris North
Very cool news sabrepilot. I was wondering about those enhanced recoil spring guides on TSone.

What are the weights supposed to do in the real AR-15? Surely increased recoil is generally not optimum...

I believe John234 is correct. Helps keep the muzzle rise down since the extra space between shots lets you more easily reacquire your target.

I believe they're supposed to keep ROF manageable.

I know the Micro uzi has tungsten weights in the bolt for that very reason.

Correct.

You adjust cycle rate by adding/subtracting weight - and also by changing spring rate. Important in short barrel rifles.

In the SHOEI MP44 we used to use real AR15 recoil springs (with the last few coils cut off) to increase the firing rate.

Soft spring=hard kick slow rate.

Stiff spring=less felt recoil/faster ROF.

Weighting the buffer will have the same effect as a softer spring.

Generally speaking of course.

Is it because CTR commercial ver. have the locking system that makes it tight? i know we can still use CTR commercial ver. but if im not mistaken commercial ver. is 0.02" slightly bigger then Mil-Spec. So for MOE stock we should go for Mil-Spec and for CTR Mil-Spec/Cmmercial Ver. should be fine, correct me if im wrong. If so then im going to get it at EB

I'm sure PTS is Milspec version because fitting is extremely tight around the buffer tube.

Now, the biggest improvement I made today was with the buffer. I dont know if anyone else has tried this yet but I figured I would post it up here anyhow. My friend has a rifle style buffer from a real AR-15 and, for those who dont know, they contain weights in them like all real steel AR-15 buffers. So today we decided to take apart his and mine and it turns out the stock WE buffer is hollow inside like the real gun allowing for actual weights for real steel guns to be installed. The stock buffer weighs 25 grams and after weighing it with 3 buffer weights and pads installed it came in at 80 grams! Thats 3.2 times the total weight of a stock WE buffer. Needless to say this increases the kick substantially while only minimally affecting the rate of fire. I am quite pleased with this modification and so far there dont seem to be any issues with it. One thing I did note about it, however is that in the 80-100 shots I tried with it, the harder kick actually managed to work the buffer detent screw out and began contacting the bolt carrier as it traveled rearward into the buffer tube! A few minutes later and some blue loctite and everything was running great again. I'll work on getting some pics together if anyone would like them since, like I said, I'm not sure if anyone has done this yet. I'll also be sure to get any updates if I begin seeing any ill effects on the gun from this (which I doubt since there really isnt any additional wear on any parts and no physical dimensions were altered).

Good idea man :D

Please keep us updated on how this works out and if it results in any problems? It sounds great though!

You mentioned over at GGI that it results in recoil on par with a real AR-15 :o I'd love to try this mod out.

Edited by chris u'5