WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

Nice Video @ WETTI

Right, im after a real steel RIS/ SIR System, been interested in DD and A.R.M.S but wondered if anybody can recommend one? 

Asked on previous post but nobody has got back to me yet.  :(

Appreciated

All I know is that I got the DD from Madbull and it fits like a dream. Don't know whether its any different (threads and etc) than the real one.

WETTI nice video.....It looks like the CO2 cycles a lot smoother I bet the FPS is really consistent. Well after 6 months and some serious abuse my charging handle broke.........I can blame myself first the latch broke and I continued to fire it and BAM!! the handle broke. You know I have a Version 1 and I was waiting for this thing to brake a week after I bought the gun. Surprisingly it wouldn't brake until now and that is because of my stupidity. Also my bolt stop didn't brake until I tried to straiten it out because it was a little bent and it wasn't catching the latch on the mag.....that was broke because of me also. That being said I'm actually pretty impressed with my Version 1 it held up until I got negligent. Any ways I was wondering if anyone has bought the version 2 charging handle and if it has held up good?

This is the handle I'm talking about.

http://www.airsoftbuddy.com/index_eproduct...products_id=188

WETTI nice video.....It looks like the CO2 cycles a lot smoother I bet the FPS is really consistent. Well after 6 months and some serious abuse my charging handle broke.........I can blame myself first the latch broke and I continued to fire it and BAM!! the handle broke. You know I have a Version 1 and I was waiting for this thing to brake a week after I bought the gun. Surprisingly it wouldn't brake until now and that is because of my stupidity. Also my bolt stop didn't brake until I tried to straiten it out because it was a little bent and it wasn't catching the latch on the mag.....that was broke because of me also. That being said I'm actually pretty impressed with my Version 1 it held up until I got negligent. Any ways I was wondering if anyone has bought the version 2 charging handle and if it has held up good?

This is the handle I'm talking about.

http://www.airsoftbuddy.com/index_eproduct...products_id=188

I have that one, but haven't tried it out though. Its just too bad it doesn't match the anodized finish, but I'm sure its better than the original, right? I'm waiting for mine to break (I have the V.2)...I don't know whether those have been updated or not. It does feel cheap and light. But so far, so good....

Prodigy, the LAT one didn't work on mine earlier...until I changed the main o-ring to the original flat/beveled version. The large o-ring that came with the LAT set, just didn't seem to make enough of a seal. Did you try that?

My original O-Ring actually got damaged in the removal process... funny my piston head is doing the opposite, too tight of a seal. i rather just get a whole new steel set now. and the new CO2 one if that works out better.

I have that one, but haven't tried it out though. Its just too bad it doesn't match the anodized finish, but I'm sure its better than the original, right? I'm waiting for mine to break (I have the V.2)...I don't know whether those have been updated or not. It does feel cheap and light. But so far, so good....

funny my charging handle broke just yesterday as well. im looking at the 7075 aluminum one and the pmc one, has anyone got the PMC one, does it fit and work? That's my natural question to all things aftermarket for the we from this point on.

Exclusively available from WETTI/AFC, our WE CO2 AWSS M4 platform:

WETTI/AFC exclusive CO2 AWSS M4

Note the CO2 version special nozzle (which is 'backward compatible' with our normal gas mag). The last 'puff' of gas you heard is the signal of the CO2 cartridge being depleted & gas pressure being too low to function the gun; the sound came from the remaining gas being vented by the escape valve in the mag. It is a normal happening. The nozzle setting for this demo gun is set at 480-500fps. A 320-350pfs nozzle can also be ordered with the gun.

WETTI

So you have to change a CO2 bulb every mags worth of bb's?

Eeeew. Thats lots of work.

And is there any difference with the SHAPE of this new steel nozzle.

I guess what I >need< to know is what is the difference between the '2 oring nozzle' and the 'single oring' nozzle?? Is there a difference in SHAPE?

If so, how could this be compatible with older cylinders if the shape is machined differently??

OTTO

I guess what I >need< to know is what is the difference between the '2 oring nozzle' and the 'single oring' nozzle?? Is there a difference in SHAPE?

If so, how could this be compatible with older cylinders if the shape is machined differently??

OTTO

Otto, my best guess is the actuall #111 housing is shaped differently. Maybe WETTI can clarify. I think those are the two main differences (double 0-ring valve and new brass housing).

OTTO

1. For the regular gas steel nozzle, the one o-ring version (you can just remove the front one on the double o-ring nozzle) will work smoother in 'lower fps" guns (e.g. 300-350fps). For more power guns (>400fps), the double o-ring version will work better. Two version of these nozzles had been produced: One with 2 o-rings & one with single o-ring; both are of the same shape (see below)

steelnoz-2.jpg

2. The CO2 'locking nozzle' is paired with a 'locking' brass housing (shaped diff. internally to accept the 'cone-shape' locking nozzle). So if you're going to switch over to the CO2 system once & for all, then you'll need to purchase the 'conversion kit' (CO2 locking nozzle & brass housing set) - see illustration below

WETTI/AFC AWSS CO2 nozzle system

I'm gonna stick to my gas version. It took me a fair amount of money to get it to where it is right now. And I rather simply stick the old gas can to the bottom every ~50 shots than taking the mag apart.

And from the last video the new nozzle seems to lock into the house very, very tight so my guess is these o-rings will wear down in no time. Listen to the "plop" when he pulls the nozzle out.

A friend of mine came by with his WE yesterday, and I finally had the opportunity to do some testing. First off, the G&P RIS (NOT the free floating mumbo jumbo) fits like a glove, just like the KAC.

Opened up a couple of new questions though. His M4 was brand new, delivered like friday last week. Nozzle seemed to be crome/steel (not brass anyway) but the barrel was brass. I was under the impression that version 3 with them new hopup came with the chrome barrels?

Also, and more disturbingly, I tried to chrono the gun. Using a Xcoretech 3000 chrono (same as in the CO2 mag test vid) and green gas, with both .2 and .25s. at first pretty much all I got was error reports until I held the tip of the gun about 10-15 cm from the hole of the chrony. Then I started getting reading, but all over the place. every few shots the fps would change from 270-280 to 470-490 and back, with the odd 300-ish (.25s) or ~320(.2) in between. could it be because the gun was brand new out of the box, and needs to be "worked in" or is this something more serious?

Also, as a personal question:

I wanted to get the CO2 Version (for sturdier internals) but pretty much run it on regular gas mags(though still have to option of getting Co2 for the winter or so). Is that a good idea, or would it be preferable to use the standard gas version with gas mags?

Opened up a couple of new questions though. His M4 was brand new, delivered like friday last week. Nozzle seemed to be crome/steel (not brass anyway) but the barrel was brass. I was under the impression that version 3 with them new hopup came with the chrome barrels?

Also, and more disturbingly, I tried to chrono the gun. Using a Xcoretech 3000 chrono (same as in the CO2 mag test vid) and green gas, with both .2 and .25s. at first pretty much all I got was error reports until I held the tip of the gun about 10-15 cm from the hole of the chrony. Then I started getting reading, but all over the place. every few shots the fps would change from 270-280 to 470-490 and back, with the odd 300-ish (.25s) or ~320(.2) in between. could it be because the gun was brand new out of the box, and needs to be "worked in" or is this something more serious?

Also, as a personal question:

I wanted to get the CO2 Version (for sturdier internals) but pretty much run it on regular gas mags(though still have to option of getting Co2 for the winter or so). Is that a good idea, or would it be preferable to use the standard gas version with gas mags?

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but:

1) As I understand it the latest factory version (let's not talk version numbers) includes a standard brass barrel with new hop-up, the polished chrome 6.02 barrel with new hop-up is an upgrade part as you would expect with any normal AEG tight bore barrel.

2) The distance from the chrono is normal. I am not sure what the fps problem could be but I would personally start by stripping, cleaning and lubricating using the wiki guides. Other thoughts I would have with my limited experience would be too much gunk, a misaligned or loose guide rod, a damaged or bad fitting part #122, a dodgy magazine valve.

3) WETTI has stated that the upgraded CO2 internals will work with standard gas mags. The more recent post by WETTI mentions a simple change to the CO2 steel nozzel to improve performance with low power configurations but other than that you should be good to go.

Edited by Marky [UE]
Not recommended as well for nozzle fitted with the 300fps floating valve and brass nozzle? For those who wish to test your BBs is there anything to pay?

1. The 'little legs' on the brass nozzle will eventually break regardless of the power level; reason why we went with steel with the later versions.

2. Of course no charge for the samples. Only thing I would ask in return is your non-bias opinion on them. :)

Knowing what most of you guys know now about the WE's issues, if you could go back in time, would you guys still buy it? Would you still buy the rifle ... the mags ... all the extra WE parts you typically must invest in as soon as you take it out of the box? I ask myself this a lot with some of the guns I buy. I've spent thousands sometimes on a cheap gun trying to make it good, only to discover after a crapload of money that the gun is still unreliable, high maintenance and intrinsically flawed.

Just curious to hear what you guys felt on the matter. One of my teammates has a WE M4 and has been relatively happy with it (although he has had to replace a few parts after only a few hundred rounds). I'd be worried about buying the WE M4 with it's seemingly 50/50 probability of being a lemon. :blink: That's not to say that the G&P WOC isn't without it's problems, but I've certainly have had less problems with it, than a lot of the WE owners seem to have had in this thread. To hear all the problems you guys are having, my heart goes out to you all. When I first got the WA M4, I felt very much like a guinea pig for their product. That was a sucky feeling so I know how you guys feel. In an ideal world, manufacturers would sufficiently test out their products to the fullest to ensure these issues don't occur. That rarely happens unfortunately. :(

Thanks for the co2 vid upload, although I was expecting a full 30 round auto.

Anyways I've received Renegadecow's DIYed hop made from thermoplastic. I must say they look very well made much to my surprise! Will try it out on my gun over the weekend and share some opinions on it.

Thanks for the co2 vid upload, although I was expecting a full 30 round auto.

Anyways I've received Renegadecow's DIYed hop made from thermoplastic. I must say they look very well made much to my surprise! Will try it out on my gun over the weekend and share some opinions on it.

Well.... I guess tomorrow I'll just have to do a full 30rd auto then.... :showoff:

Knowing what most of you guys know now about the WE's issues, if you could go back in time, would you guys still buy it? Would you still buy the rifle ... the mags ...

Sometimes when I watch a new film I compare it with old favourites. Then I decide to actually dig out an old favourite and try it out. At this point the rose tinted glasses come off and I see just where things have improved or moved on. I actually did this yesterday with my primary electric AEG (ICS M4 based) and the WE M4. I have a real problem now, I don't like my AEG anymore :( I still have a bit of work to do on my WE before it can replace my AEG though. As it stands I have an event rifle and a WIP (work in progress) Tactical Carbine rifle.

Would I buy the WE M4 right now... YES. I tried the WA standard before buying my WE and at £510 excluding upgrades to fix the issues I was not impressed. I have also recently research the G&P WOC and although some issues have gone away I'm still not sold. As for magazines I can't ever see myself paying the £85 a magazine it costs for the WA in the UK. I also want CO2 magazines at a sensible price, something the competition doesn't currently have.

all the extra WE parts you typically must invest in as soon as you take it out of the box?

The latest AWSS M4 versions shipping address most of the early issues. That being said there are still some components that might need a spare or two just in case (assuming you don't get a complete lemon which can still unfortunately happen). I would still be willing to buy these spares, in fact I already have spares for parts that have never failed. I think this situation exists or will exist for all new generation GBB rifles regardless of manufacturer though and is not unique to WE. This new generation of GBB rifles are simply more prone to part failures. Some will fail through wear and tear whilst others might need an improved design developed through experience, much like the real steel world.

The other answer to your question should be "would I recommend the WE M4 to other users?".... YES... BUT only if they understand what they are actually getting into. This is a whole different ball game often frustrating, often difficult and sometimes upsetting. I still think that this is the tip of the iceberg for the WE though and I for one am along for the ride. :construction:

Edited by Marky [UE]