WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

Well, it seems that I'm becoming part of that annoyed crowd. Slightly ridiculous though, if you think that I paid $300 for the gun, and ended up with a piece of professional advice telling me: "glue it!" Bah, I'll do it anyway until I find a proper replacement. >.<

$300 gun and tell you glue it...big suprrise

most GBB cost $500-$1000

I started my interest in GBBs with a WE but quickly sold it due to reliability problems. (I had a gen 1 that I upgraded to gen 2 AWSS) Now I'm hearing that the new open bolt stuff is pretty good. I've got a few questions regarding this that I'm curious to learn about. I'm contemplating getting an HK 416 from WE but I need to know some details first.

1. do their new magazines still leak?
  2. have they changed their hopup from the old ball-bearing design to a new design?
  3. What kind of barrels do the new open-bolt WE guns use?
  4. how reliable is the bolt-stop mechanism now?

All GBBR mags of all makes leak from time to time, just need to make sure that you keep the o rings lubed. My G39 mags leaked after the first use, put some green in them whilst not in use and kept topping them up and they just stopped leaking on their own. Several fellow skirimishers at the F&O midlands sites have experianced similar things with WE GBBR mags.

1. OB and CB mags are the same bar the feed lips IFAIK.

2. OB Hopup uses a VSR rubber. It's a very good hopup system.

3. VSR compatable barrels should fit. Falcon do a range of tightbore barrels for the WE OB guns (Ehobby) as well as a very nice double point rubber.

4. No M4 based experiance. No issues with G39 unless it's running very cold.

Actually the falcon barrels mentioned above on eHobby are closed bolt design. I got burnt recently on purchasing one of those thinking it was for the OB. RA-Tech do some but I heard they weren't that good. However a new company called Angry Gun are now making OB WE barrels, I will try one of those out in the near future.

1. No problems with my M4 style gas mags.

2. See above.

3. See above.

4. M4 bolt catch reliability is still so and so... G39 was good.

how reliable is the bolt-stop mechanism now?

Just to add my .02; It eventually fails to lock as the pot metal BCG is an issue. If you switch to a RAT Bolt Carrier, lock back is strong, always works, & should last a lot longer. (for me at least) But eventually, the cheap soft steel bolt catch will still wear down as the RAT BC is made from a much stronger material. The good news is that another member on GGI is making RS quality trigger & BCG parts here in the U.S. I hope to prototype some parts sometime early next year.

Edited by rvlyssup
  • Like 2

For my friend's G39, I had to file an extra set of notches for a Prometheus VSR TB to fit. I'm pretty sure WE OB barrels have two pairs of locking notches on them.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you file down the notches on the hop up itself? By filing notches on the barrel itself would lead to a bigger risk of damaging the consistency of the barrel right? Or would it no affect it at all?

Given that the notches are to make sure the barrel is aligned correctly; 1 less set of notches isn't really going to make much of a difference in my mind as long as you screw down tight the two hop up chamber halves. If they don't screw down tight (i.e. with thicker buckings like the nineball) then some threadlock might do the trick.

the extra notches mates to the hop assembly and has nothing to do with the hop rubber.

What? Are you replying to my post above? I mean with thicker buckings generally the hop up halves don't seal well compared to thinner buckings; threadlocking down the screw that holds the halves together ensures the hop up halves mesh together well; thus leading to the notches inside the hop up chamber holding the barrel in place securely.

Does anyone know if there are any body kits out there other than the very expensive Prime kit, a JP rifles one in particular would be awesome?

The only one I have seen that is actually in-stock at 1/2 price of a Prime body:

http://www.airsoftglobal.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=570_574&products_id=14493

If you just want trades on your rifle, get a lower from Airsoft Buddy. Its like $50.00 or $60.00 shipped.

hey guys I too am the owner of we m4, after 1000 or so rounds- it seems to still operate fine, However the only part that i

always have the problem with is The BOLT STOP. it seems to be taking alot of damages from the

stock bolts to the pont its splitting up!!! (slightly).

Im so scared of how worse it would get once i get the RAtech Steel carrier :no:

is there any mod to decrease the impact between the catch and the carrier? (besides not using the function ofcourse :rolleyes: )

and in your experience, what other major parts would break first? (im talking abt nozzle/trigger group parts)

Im having a milsim events in the few weeks so i wanna stock up on spares :D

Edited by Theoutlier

hey guys I too am the owner of we m4, after 1000 or so rounds- it seems to still operate fine, However the only part that i

always have the problem with is The BOLT STOP. it seems to be taking alot of damages from the

stock bolts to the pont its splitting up!!! (slightly).

Im so scared of how worse it would get once i get the RAtech Steel carrier :no:

is there any mod to decrease the impact between the catch and the carrier? (besides not using the function ofcourse :rolleyes: )

and in your experience, what other major parts would break first? (im talking abt nozzle/trigger group parts)

Im having a milsim events in the few weeks so i wanna stock up on spares :D

Are you running AWSS brass tube?

Bolt Catch wearing out is of AWSS issue, I run Open-Chamber w/ RA-Tech steel bolt no problem.

If anything I suggest you buy AEG shim, and put 0.1-0.15mm between the bolt catch. That is probably the main problem

Open-Chamber the #1 replacement part you should have is front nozzle section. But for practical change in field, get the whole nozzle assembly.

Are you running AWSS brass tube?

Bolt Catch wearing out is of AWSS issue, I run Open-Chamber w/ RA-Tech steel bolt no problem.

If anything I suggest you buy AEG shim, and put 0.1-0.15mm between the bolt catch. That is probably the main problem

Open-Chamber the #1 replacement part you should have is front nozzle section. But for practical change in field, get the whole nozzle assembly.

thx kullwarrior for your advice,

however, after the close inspection at the boltcatch area, it seems like the bolt carrier is only engaging it at the top bit

No wonder why its worned out so much, since so much force is applied on the small area

i might try to file the tab that contacts the upper receiver so the catch could go up further

btw, how do you find the RA-steel bolt? would it work with stock trigger groups? if not then may i ask what upgrades are you running on?

after the close inspection at the boltcatch area, it seems like the bolt carrier is only engaging it at the top bit

No wonder why its worned out so much, since so much force is applied on the small area

File out until its flatten, shim the bolt catch, that is the fix. I had the issue.

If you read back (~10-20 pages) the guy's solution to my issue was shim the bolt catch to fix -and it is.

RA-Tech Steel Carrier...love it, it's nice both looks and function. It keeps the gun into realistic rof (~750-950)

If you want to run steel carrier, run steel trigger, hammer, disconnector, valve locker, and firing pin (auto sear is steel already)

I run a RA-Tech Custom M4A1 and RA-Tech Custom M16A3 with steel carrier on each rifle.