WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

RA-Tech Steel Carrier...love it, it's nice both looks and function. It keeps the gun into realistic rof (~750-950)

If you want to run steel carrier, run steel trigger, hammer, disconnector, valve locker, and firing pin (auto sear is steel already)

I run a RA-Tech Custom M4A1 and RA-Tech Custom M16A3 with steel carrier on each rifle.

+1

When I convereted my v2 carbine to OB, the bolt catch never worked unless I engaged it manually. I've since also upgraded to a RAT BC & CWI steel trigger group. From pot metal to steel, its night & day. Steel parts sure breaths new life to my old reliable carbine!

Edited by rvlyssup
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

Yep, it works fine now. i filed out some portions of the catch, it nows contact the bolt good. though i have yet to purchase shims, but im pretty sure

it would work okay for now.

I have also found a mod that works for me

so basically if anyone have a problem like "bolt doesnt lock-back on last round " or "bolt locks back when there are still rounds in the mag"

then i can almost gurantee its the problem with the spring

This can be fixed by stretching the catch spring and/or pushing it down till it stretches or gets thinner.

becareful not to over do it though, or you will break the spring. alternatively you can cut the coils or replace the spring, but i find this easier to do.

Just converted my CB HK416 to OB today, and I must say that it required a hell of alot of modding ot get to work properly!

Am I the only one who have experienced that the "barrel hole"(in lack of better terms) in the upper reciever, was drilled out off center?! So that the barrel was pointing to the side?

Along with that, the pin holes in the upper also had a too small diameter?!

At least the old CB triggerset only required 1mm sanded of the auto sear, to be compatible with the new BCG B)

-But when I got it running.. Damn! It sure is a thrill to shoot :D

Now I just need to fix the leak and convert my last 2 CO2 mags..

And you tell me this right after I have ordered OB kit to my CB m4 :(

God *fruitcage* damn it! :angry22:

LoLz, I think you'll be fine. I have 2 more CB M4s & would have no hesitation in purchasing another OB kit if I ever decided to convert one or both of them.

Those are some very good insight into both systems Cephas, thanks for sharing. I am sure that there are some of us out there that still run the old closed bolt system. I did want to add a couple of things if you don't mind in regards to some points you made in part 2 of your video.

RS charging handles will work un-modded. However, the CH contact point rides on the front part of the plastic nozzle & not in the recessed part of the bolt carrier. A roll pin mod will still be needed, especially if the rifle will be skirmished a lot. This mod is the same on both the CB & OB systems.

The only difference between the CB & OB trigger systems are the selector sear & the bolt catch. If one is re-using a CB selector sear, it will have to be filed down to clear the notch on the carrier. All WE Tech OB kits include a new bolt catch.

Alongside RA-Tech, CWI Airsoft (BBDragon) also makes steel trigger parts to work on both WE M4 systems. A bit of caution regarding RA-Tech trigger parts; (unless design has been updated/changed recently) using these parts will require some simple modifications to the RA-Tech bolt carrier to work smoothly. CWI (newer version & exactl copies of the stock WE parts) do not require any modification to work smoothly.

Lastly @ this time, RA-Tech is the only one who makes a steel bolt carrier for the OB system. I believe CWI is in the process of making one. There is also a member on GGi (GasGuns.info) forums making OB steel parts here in the USA. if one wanted to upgrade from the stock WE Tech pot metal bolt carrier to a steel RA-Tech bolt carrier, modifications to the OB bolt catch will be required. RA-Tech did not exactly copy the stock bolt carrier as the notch for the bolt catch is not deep enough. For obvious (& financial) reasons, modding the bolt catch is a better & easier option than messing with the RAT carrier. If using the stock WE trigger group, modifying the bolt catch will still be required to work propertly w/the RA-Tech bolt carrier.

After all is said & done, keep in mind that tinkering is pretty much a requirement when it comes to GBBRs. Plug & play enviroment just simply does not exist.

Edited by rvlyssup

A bit of caution regarding RA-Tech trigger parts; (unless design has been updated/changed recently) using these parts will require some simple modifications to the RA-Tech bolt carrier to work smoothly. CWI (newer version & exactl copies of the stock WE parts) do not require any modification to work smoothly.

I've found not to be the case on both my M4 and M16

Lastly @ this time, RA-Tech is the only one who makes a steel bolt carrier for the OB system. I believe CWI is in the process of making one. There is also a member on GGi (GasGuns.info) forums making OB steel parts here in the USA. if one wanted to upgrade from the stock WE Tech pot metal bolt carrier to a steel RA-Tech bolt carrier, modifications to the OB bolt catch will be required. RA-Tech did not exactly copy the stock bolt carrier as the notch for the bolt catch is not deep enough. For obvious (& financial) reasons, modding the bolt catch is a better & easier option than messing with the RAT carrier. If using the stock WE trigger group, modifying the bolt catch will still be required to work propertly w/the RA-Tech bolt carrier.

That is the first batch of the bolt catch on open chamber

I've purchase WE M16 RA-Tech custom works smooth as silk, no bolt catch or carrier mod was done, I chuck that m16 carrier into my M4, same thing, vice versa. New open-chamber kit's bolt catch is the same, no mod needed.

Essentially I have

(A) RA-Tech WE M16 w/ Steel Carrier

(B)RA-Tech WE M4 w/ Steel Carrier (very minor mod on carrier)

(1) M4 Bolt catch -modded (RA-tech from WE M16)

(2) M16 bolt catch -unmodded (RA-tech from WE M16)

(3) CQBR conversion kit bolt catch -unmodded

Trials...

(A) w/ (1) noticibly more friction, but works

(A) w/ (2) smooth as silk

(A) w/ (3) smooth as silk)

(B) w/ (1) noticibly more friction, but works

(B) w/ (2) smooth as silk

(B) w/ (3) smooth as silk

Conclusion, both RA-Tech and WE bolt catch have change, and they're now drop in -atleast for my case.

kullwarrior: Thank you so much for explaining that fix to me, in my next order I will add some shims and fix the horrible wobble of the bolt catch and hopefully fix the issues I am having :)

Cephas: Very good videos man, lots of good information and you presented it well. I would have enjoyed the videos more if the picture quality was better (white balance and sharpness mostly), but the information was great!

I hope to upgrade my DSLR to a model that can shoot video sometime soon and then maybe I will show of my WE M4 as well :D

Edited by NonEx

Originally i signed up to this thread because i wanted a GBB M4 but wasn't sure if i should buy the M4 or the SCAR.I ended up going for the SCAR but still wanted the M4. I'm getting myself an M4 early next month so this thread with all it's advice & fixes has turned out to be really useful to me.The M4 i'm getting is a closed bolt version coming with 4 magazines.I now have a local source for CO2 magazines here in the UK & eventually i'll be converting the M4 to an open bolt{probably with a month or two}.

I'm really looking forwards to getting the M4 confident that i can sort any minor niggles.Thanks to everyone who posted advice,it has been taken on board & will be put to use.

Edited by rolling-thunder

I have now joined the WE M4 guild. (yay!)

Well technically.

Got a Socom gear Novenske 'N4' which has been converted to OB.

Already converted 2 mags to p-mags. :D

Anyway, can anyone bullet point the /recommended/ mods and fixes?

I know to shim the bolt catch (although the p-mags activate it well) and the previous owner already has a 'magic pin' at the front.

Internals will mostly remain stock until something breaks/wears out.

The externals will get an over-haul however :D

• 5 weeks later...

I'm about to be a WE convert, and I'm looking at the M16A3. From what I can tell, much of the 'major' malfunctions of the we M4 line have been addressed with the release of the open bolt design (v3), which is what Evike is peddling here Stateside. Tell me, is the fun factor starting to surpass the money spent on these platforms? I do not need another safe queen or a failure prone rifle... I have placed that rifle in my 'cart' so many times... even placed all of the CC info, but I keep backing out to do more research.

I'm about to be a WE convert, and I'm looking at the M16A3. From what I can tell, much of the 'major' malfunctions of the we M4 line have been addressed with the release of the open bolt design (v3), which is what Evike is peddling here Stateside. Tell me, is the fun factor starting to surpass the money spent on these platforms? I do not need another safe queen or a failure prone rifle... I have placed that rifle in my 'cart' so many times... even placed all of the CC info, but I keep backing out to do more research.

Fun factor has always been there.

The Open bolt series is fairly reliable though.

Trigger pack will eventually go but there are plenty of upgrades/spares about.

30rd m4 mags are still a pain in the *albatross* but the shorty mags are solid.